Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I had the same experience when someone backed into my car. I called the local station which was only 5 minutes away if that and they guy on the phone yelled at me and interrupted me to call 911. So I did, and they did nothing.
They did nothing for a hit and run? Or they decided it was too busy to send a car for an incident where there was no dispute and you got the info from the other driver? The latter I could understand, though they should still send a car if at all possible. The former, that's a definite 911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
They did nothing for a hit and run? Or they decided it was too busy to send a car for an incident where there was no dispute and you got the info from the other driver? The latter I could understand, though they should still send a car if at all possible. The former, that's a definite 911.
It was a hit and run and they did not send a car out. The only thing they did was to fill out a report over the phone. The lady who did the report was nice though, so at least that's something.

Without being too negative, lets say my interaction with police helping me out here has been less than helpful.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Without being too negative, lets say my interaction with police helping me out here has been less than helpful.
I always get the feel the police are WAY too removed from the people. They need to break the city down into small sections and assign officers to those sections they would need to be responsible for AND interact with residents that live in those sections in a positive way. If they did that, the police department would improve. As it is right now, they are focused on big crimes and really no in tune with daily life in Pittsburgh. Wish they had a better system, but I don't think we will see a change here. It is more about getting through the day, so officers can moonlight and make over $100K a year which is an obvious conflict of interest.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I really wish more of Pittsburgh's police officers were a bit friendlier to the general public. I'm more afraid of our police than respectful of them, and I'm a law-abiding citizen.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
You're going to have to practice your crossing scowl. ...

The only hope you have for keeping your house safe from the Pittsburgh drivers is proactively install bollards. Those of you who live on a corner lot, be sure to surround yourself on both sides. You might need to consider protecting 3 or even 4 sides, depending on topography 'anat.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minthotchocolate View Post
So, last night I had quite an experience on the very same intersection that inspired me to start this thread. This is a three-way intersection of Shady Ave and Alder St, with the Calvary Episcopal Church on Shady, school for deaf children on the other side, and kids activity center on the third part of the intersection. There is a clearly marked zebra, with additional fluorescent yellow school zone sign, but no traffic light. There is quite a bit of foot traffic there, because some people park at the church and go to school, or park on the street and go to church, there is also a bus stop right on the corner of Alder and Shady that people use a lot. Anyway, just describing the intersection, where No Car Ever Stops unless you utilize The Crossing Scowl.

Last night me and my husband were crossing this intersection. There was an SUV coming towards us, but it was still far, so we started walking. When we were in the middle of the intersection, the car was on the other side of it, slowing down for a second, as if deciding whether to cut in front of us, or let us go first. Then it sped up, trying to cut in front. By that time we were at about 3/4 into the crosswalk, so the dude in his SUV had to stop abruptly right in front of us. My husband gave him the "rifle and bible" look from the Q-tip comment and then the hell broke lose. The guy got out of his car and started jumping on to us yelling that we cannot do this. My husband, in turn, lost his head a bit and yelled him to read the rules of the road. The dude was really aggressive and chased us as we tried to walk away. My husband took out his phone and started taking pictures of the car licence plate. The dude got even angrier... In the end no one got hurt, but it did stop the traffic for good 5 minutes if not more, because the guy just left his car in the middle of the intersection to harass us. We have his licence plate number, but did not call the police, maybe we should? Anyway, that was terribly unpleasant and downright scary, the guy looked completely out of control.

In any case. I've heard it is possible to request additional traffic signs for your neighborhood. Has anyone ever done it? I think that the yield sign is needed there...
The ultimate John Brown is less effective if your husband lacks a beard. One of 3 inches length of greater should be groomed and maintained by at least one member of the family at all times.

Report him. Guy was acting irrationally. Sped up to try to hit you. Possibly on drugs...smells like cat pee/burnt plastic (read as: meth head)...heard cries for help coming from his trunk...etc.

Don't be afraid in a situation like this to take off your shoe and brandish it like a weapon. The absurdity of it could snap him back into reality. Men are naturally terrified of anything with heels due to our inability to walk in them. This can be highly advantageous.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
I was privileged to observe someone driving into oncoming traffic on 28 north just past the Heinz plant but before the merge point yesterday.

Girl in her late 20s/early 30s in a early 2000s silver Ford Taurus decided to dip into the south bound lanes for about 100 ft to pass a semi on the left. Not a semi that was blocking the left lane mind you...just "a semi".

Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I was privileged to observe someone driving into oncoming traffic on 28 north just past the Heinz plant but before the merge point yesterday.

Girl in her late 20s/early 30s in a early 2000s silver Ford Taurus decided to dip into the south bound lanes for about 100 ft to pass a semi on the left. Not a semi that was blocking the left lane mind you...just "a semi".
If the girl got back in line in front of the semi, I suspect that idiot truck driver was doing the blocking the lane thing they do. Those guys have a pea for a brain doing that. If people were to be in one lane only on that road, it could impede traffic on other roads very easily. I hate when those idiots do that and I do pass them if possible. I would do the same thing if I could just to say (you know what) to that driver. Good for her.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
I had the same experience when someone backed into my car. I called the local station which was only 5 minutes away if that and they guy on the phone yelled at me and interrupted me to call 911. So I did, and they did nothing.
Yea. What up with the 911 requirement - I had to call the police about something a couple of years back, found the number for the police station up the road & same thing - got yelled at not to call them but 911 instead. Then I had an argument with the 911 person because I didn't know the street address where I was calling from.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Portland was weird because EVERYONE followed the speed limit. It's the first time I've seen that in my life anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh