Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times

Advertisements

This Sunday is the annual Brighton Heights House tour.

Also this Saturday marks the beginning of California Markets, a street fair organized by PGH Retail that will be held every second Saturday of the month June thru September.

If you're hoping to check out the neighborhood or simply want something to do, come check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Wonderful to see you becoming an advocate for your neighborhood! Hopefully people like you and Hip Priest buying there and promoting it will help it to flourish.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
I love house tours and I'd check it out but we, Allegheny West, is having our own Wine and Garden Tour this weekend and I'll be too busy. I'd post a link but we sold out all our tickets a few weeks ago.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Oh, and nice website. I'm jealous that BH had the budget to hire a real designer. I had to cobble together our website myself and I'm a good programmer but a lousy graphic designer.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
This Sunday is the annual Brighton Heights House tour.

Also this Saturday marks the beginning of California Markets, a street fair organized by PGH Retail that will be held every second Saturday of the month June thru September.

If you're hoping to check out the neighborhood or simply want something to do, come check it out!
Darn! I'm not arriving until late Sunday night. I would have loved to have done the tour. Maybe next year. I'll check out the market. Is it a farmer's market?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wonderful to see you becoming an advocate for your neighborhood! Hopefully people like you and Hip Priest buying there and promoting it will help it to flourish.
Thank you, SCR. I really have been pleasantly surprised with Brighton Heights in many ways. My only real complaint is the dearth of sit-down restaurants and mediocre transit access to Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Oh, and nice website. I'm jealous that BH had the budget to hire a real designer. I had to cobble together our website myself and I'm a good programmer but a lousy graphic designer.
It was updated relatively recently. I'm somewhat embarassed to say that I still haven't been to a meeting of the neighborhood group, so I don't know the exact story beind the redesign. It's a huge improvement though; the old site was not always up to date and was full of HTML tables.

I think you did a very good job on the Allegheny West site, by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Darn! I'm not arriving until late Sunday night. I would have loved to have done the tour. Maybe next year. I'll check out the market. Is it a farmer's market?
No, it's not a farmer's market. The idea is for retailers from other parts of the city to set up a stand on California Ave for the day. Along with some other things like local artist displays, food, and raffles. I really think it's a neat concept. It gives the vendors some advertising and access to new customers, and it might (fingers crossed!) convince some of them to fill the empty storefronts on California with a new location for their business.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM

32 posts, read 56,166 times
Thanks for sharing! Just in the process of settling into the new place, and this sounds like a perfect addition to the weekend plans to get to know the neighborhood and our neighbors better. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
No, it's not a farmer's market. The idea is for retailers from other parts of the city to set up a stand on California Ave for the day. Along with some other things like local artist displays, food, and raffles. I really think it's a neat concept. It gives the vendors some advertising and access to new customers, and it might (fingers crossed!) convince some of them to fill the empty storefronts on California with a new location for their business.
I'll have to check it out. I may get a booth there once I'm settled in and sell my jewelry and accessories. I guess I have to get a business license and resale license. Hope it's not too difficult. Just realized that my Ca licenses aren't gonna matter here!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 PM

Julie, I don't think you'd need any sort of licensing just to set up a stand at something like this (I'm not a lawyer, though of course!). There were a few stands out there selling handmade jewelery, wall hangings, and decorations, so it wouldn't be out of place if you did want to set something up. There's certainly room for more! It was like a very miniature version of Bloomfield's Little Italy Days.

The most exciting thing I saw today (besides the presence of The Steer and Wheel) is that 3 of the empty storefronts on California are set to be filled. Tom Friday's is going to expand into the neighboring store front, a "spin shop" is opening up next to that (bicycles or exercise gym? not sure), and a dance studio and/or shop is opening up in the third spot. There was a good article about it in the Northside Chronicle: Open-air markets will help California Avenue contiue to grow.

Also speaking of farmer's markets, there will be one nearby in Brightwood. Though, Wednesdays 2 - 6pm means that I probably won't be able to stop by. Farm stand will offer affordable produce in Brightwood

Old 06-09-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Julie, I don't think you'd need any sort of licensing just to set up a stand at something like this (I'm not a lawyer, though of course!).
I know that chances are you won't get in trouble for not having a resale license. I was thinking in terms of things I need to do once I get settled to get my business up and running in PA. I used to participate in, as well as produce, outdoor arts and craft shows in CA. We required all our vendors to have a resale number, but not a business license. We could get in trouble from the state if we didn't require it. The resale number was issued by the state for collecting sales tax. I actually had a state rep come in my booth and ask to see my resale permit at the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival. CA is serious about collecting its sales tax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh