Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times

Advertisements

We got some quotations for a new driveway and while asphalt is of course cheaper, what are the benefits to cement. As we have a long driveway, the cost is high so I need to make sure that I am making a correct descision.

I do like cement, and the maintenance would be less, but the cost is double.

Any opinions?
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We got some quotations for a new driveway and while asphalt is of course cheaper, what are the benefits to cement. As we have a long driveway, the cost is high so I need to make sure that I am making a correct descision.

I do like cement, and the maintenance would be less, but the cost is double.

Any opinions?
d

My father put in a concrete driveway back in the late 1950's, and it still looks pretty good today.

Further, concrete driveways also dry off quicker and easier after snowstorms, the color and texture just melts off the snow a lot more promptly than an asphalt surface.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
This is pretty simple, cement lasts longer and is more durable, but also harder to repair. In other words, asphalt is cheaper up front and easier to repair, but you will need to get a new coating every 10 years or so to keep it going. I would go with cement because while it is more expensive it should last longer and repairs should be less frequent. Overall, I think cement is worth the cost and my current cement driveway is almost 70 years old with only a few small cracks. I know this because they etched the date into the cement with a neat little bronze plaque announcing the name of the now defunct concrete company.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:48 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
You guys do know the difference between cement and concrete? Concrete is better than asphalt, but you better make sure it's done right, using good quality concrete.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Here's an option that will make concrete more affordable but still look elegant.

I've always liked the look of it. It's better for the environment too.

It's called a ribbon driveway. Grass alternatives in the middle are gravel, ground cover, low growing flowers, brick, or anything.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:10 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Love it, but in the snow it would be a pain.

I think we will go with the concrete, but the $$ ; ouch.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
You guys do know the difference between cement and concrete? Concrete is better than asphalt, but you better make sure it's done right, using good quality concrete.
Yes I know the difference at least. People usually use the terms cement and concrete interchangeably despite the fact there is a difference. I am guilty of doing this rather often and I know many other people do the same. I agree with you that the key to concrete is the quality.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:52 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
People usually use the terms cement and concrete interchangeably despite the fact there is a difference.
In the aggregate, most people don't realize there is a difference.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
For those of you with concrete driveways, how often, if ever, do you reapply concrete sealant?

I power washed my stamped concrete driveway with a fairly low-PSI pressure washer, but I was too afraid to mess around with applying sealant. Some folks seem to recommend that it be applied at least every five years or so. Is it really necessary? It is nasty stuff and if incorrectly applied, it can do more harm than good, at least in terms of appearance.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Love it, but in the snow it would be a pain.

I think we will go with the concrete, but the $$ ; ouch.
Get references and contact them. Check reviews on Yelp and Angie's List. I'll try to remember to ask my contractor if can recommend a good concrete company. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh