Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
We haven't heard from the 11 other police officers that were reportedly at the scene, so everyone hasn't been heard from yet.
LMFAO! You mean the one's who weren't there to see the initial incident?

I don't even know where to begin.

I remember the FOP marching in support of the 3 officers who beat the crap out of Jordan Miles. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM

480 posts, read 611,897 times
guess the speeding cop wasn't in such a hurry to get wherever he was going since he had the time to get involved with this...

Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 PM

441 posts, read 766,450 times
Here's detailed blog post of what went down from someone who was at the meeting: How to get arrested? Stand there. - Homewood Nation

Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the cop got the 2 guys handcuffed by himself, how scared could he have been of men who let him do that?
He handcuffed them out of fear instead of just talking to them. They let him handcuff themselves because they are smart.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
Here's detailed blog post of what went down from someone who was at the meeting: How to get arrested? Stand there. - Homewood Nation
One thing I do know, if you start talking back to a cop regardless of the color of your skin, they will abuse their authority and put you in jail. You will then lose the battle of wills, because they are off to the donut shop and you are behind bars. The only way to stop this is to video everything all the time. There are cyclists doing it and it is having a tiny impact. I know at least two people were ticketed because of a video from a cyclist that got buzzed. The proof is on the camera. We don't have what happened here on video. Wish they would have got the first part with the cop coming close at speed and turning around with the confrontation from the start. The cop will win this battle. There will be some outrage, but nothing will come of it. Still bad PR for the police, but I don't think they care about that much. From my perspective from being on the city streets, most police have an us against them attitude and them being all the non police. I feel there needs to be a huge change with the city police, but I don't think that will happen. Wish they were more like the police in my town. They are SUPER nice and treat people as they should. Ah well, city life is different.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Is it surprising that you get higher scrutiny from police officers in an area with out of control criminal elements.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
From my perspective from being on the city streets, most police have an us against them attitude and them being all the non police.
I will say that an unfortunate percentage of the population at large carries a "**** the police" mentality with them no matter what, which can often exacerbate situations that should be non-issues. Not that this was the case in this particular incident (all of the testimony so far seems to indicate that the cop was way out of line, IMO), but it does take two sides to foster a respectful and, most importantly, productive relationship between law enforcement and the citizenry.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Is it surprising that you get higher scrutiny from police officers in an area with out of control criminal elements.
What happened the other night does not appear to have been mere "scrutiny."

Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
In my experience the best thing to do with Pittsburgh Police is to pretend they don't exist. When I see them I don't look at them and never make eye contact with them. Calling them on the phone for something is an absolute last resort and if I can avoid doing so I will. I have never had a good experience with them at any point in time and recently it seems that you are gambling with your future by merely speaking a word to them. That's pretty disgusting that this is the case (especially in the nation's "most livable and smartest city") but my past history has shown me that they are nothing but trouble. I shouldn't have as many personal stories about them as I do.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
I wouldn't call out the entire police department or anything. A lot of them go about doing their jobs and, one way or the other, don't get involved in this sort of thing. One could argue that by mostly staying quiet they are tacitly supporting some other elements, but I wouldn't hold too much against them, as long as they do the right thing when they are present during a questionable situation.

Rather than risk needlessly escalating a situation, I've called the Pittsburgh Police exactly one time - with a noise complaint on a Saturday night, and a car was there in about 15-20 minutes with officers knocking on the door of the house I reported. My guess is that things are definitely done differently depending on what area is being policed and the independent characteristics of the officers working in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh