Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This urban vs. rural/liberal vs. conservative argument is played out in most states---not just PA. Even in notably "red" states (i.e. Texas) most of the city propers (i.e. Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio) are either solidly blue or at least lean blue while suburbs/exurbs and rural areas trend more conservative. In Texas more people live in the suburbs/exurbs and rural areas than in the core cities. That's no different here. Pittsburgh's city proper (especially here in the East End) seems to be a limousine liberal's paradise with hybrid vehicles, Obama bumper stickers, Human Rights Campaign (=) stickers, rainbow flags, etc. abounding whereas just venturing out to Cranberry Township or even to a place like Findlay Township (within our county) turns the table nearly 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I mean, there's a reason why the people of Cranberry Township keep electing an anti-gay bigot to our state legislature, is there not? It's not because he's handsome.

Even within the rural "T" of PA you have larger cities like Scranton, Erie, and Allentown that are die-hard Democratic. There are a myriad of reasons to suggest why urbanites lean left. They're exposed to more diversity and, therefore, tend to be more sympathetic towards minority-related causes championed by Democrats and ignored by Republicans. Working-class urbanites are largely union adherents, and they reliably vote Democratic because they view Republicans as being "union busters". Cities are becoming increasingly expensive places, and it requires greater levels of wealth (and typically correspondingly higher levels of educational attainment) to afford them. Educated higher-income people tend to vote Democratic. We saw this even with our recent mayoral primary where most liberal, younger, and educated people went crazy for Peduto while Wagner, who was admittedly conservative, carried "grayer" neighborhoods dominated by those with limited educational attainment.
I see you've found a new bone to pick with Cranberry.

And like Carl said, Pittsburgh has rather few characteristically liberal enclaves outside the East End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I see you've found a new bone to pick with Cranberry.

And like Carl said, Pittsburgh has rather few characteristically liberal enclaves outside the East End.
Give Aspinwall, Dormont, Edgewood and Millvale some time. And don't be surprised if Sewickley eventually follows.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM

99 posts, read 147,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Give Aspinwall, Dormont, Edgewood and Millvale some time. And don't be surprised if Sewickley eventually follows.
if that means the liberals are white flighting their way out of the city, good stuff. then maybe we can switch out one of these boutique children's clothing stores into a Sheetz

Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I agree with this. In many respects I feel as if Aspinwall, Edgewood, and the non-city parts of Regent Square have already become natural extensions of the "limousine liberal East End". Millvale will likely be the recipient of a lot of younger liberal people priced out of an increasingly expensive Lawrenceville. I wonder where those being priced out of Millvale once it welcomes an influx of Lawrencevillians will go. Etna? Troy Hill?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
if that means the liberals are white flighting their way out of the city, good stuff. then maybe we can switch out one of these boutique children's clothing stores into a Sheetz
Contrary to popular belief not all of we liberals in the East End are enamored with having a fro-yo place, hot yoga studio, artisan mini-cupcake bakery, store that exclusively sells metrosexual attire to 5-year-old boys, and a place to get psychotherapy for your pet poodle on every other corner while gas stations, laundromats, and other essentials are scarce and overcrowded. Whenever I try to get gas (ya know...to get to WORK...which it seems like many East Enders don't do) at GetGo I cringe and hope I don't get hit while trying to avoid playing bumper cars in their parking lot. My own Polish Hill has a vegan hangout coffeeshop, records store, and comic book store, yet if you want to grab a slice of pizza or do a load of laundry you need to drive elsewhere. I'm guessing the lack of laundromats in this part of town explains why so many people in the "hipster belt" smell funny?

My partner and I drive to the Cheswick Sheetz every couple of months just because the city still doesn't have one.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
I agree with this. In many respects I feel as if Aspinwall, Edgewood, and the non-city parts of Regent Square have already become natural extensions of the "limousine liberal East End". Millvale will likely be the recipient of a lot of younger liberal people priced out of an increasingly expensive Lawrenceville. I wonder where those being priced out of Millvale once it welcomes an influx of Lawrencevillians will go. Etna? Troy Hill?
Having liberals =/= characteristically liberal, though I do agree Regent Square qualifies.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Having liberals =/= characteristically liberal, though I do agree Regent Square qualifies.
But but, having a few liberals means everyone in the East End is an ultra far left liberal. Believe me because I'm an expert that has lived here less than 5 years.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
But but, having a few liberals means everyone in the East End is an ultra far left liberal. Believe me because I'm an expert that has lived here less than 5 years.
I remember when I first moved to Pittsburgh, I totally saw a Rick Santorum bumper sticker in Shadyside.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So you honestly don't find the East End to be overwhelmingly liberal?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Have you noticed the incredible amount of dead animals on the roads?
I counted seven on the way from here to Chambersburg last month.

Quote:
My partner and I drive to the Cheswick Sheetz every couple of months just because the city still doesn't have one.
Why?

Last edited by jay5835; 07-10-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh