Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM

225 posts, read 323,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I'm no real estate agent, but not much, methinks. If the cracker is built, I would expect the play will be in nearby industrial property, for manufacturing that uses the end result of the cracker. Such businesses might establish some office separate from the plant I guess, but large amounts of additional office space wouldn't seem to be necessary. Maybe, if the manufacturing businesses are mainly making stuff on contract, the contracting companies might want to have a little office nearby, but that doesn't tend to be necessary I don't think in most cases.

Shell itself already has a building in Cranberry (in Thorn Hill). I think the gas providers who would sell gas to Shell for the cracker already have their local offices.

It would have a huge impact on the northern and western markets. Shell currently leases a significant amount of space off of the 910 interchange at I-79, along with additional space in warrendale. There are quite a few companies that also lease in that vicinity to be near Shell.

The cracker plant itself would have an immense impact on the real estate market west of I-79. Yes there would be more industrial type uses in the Beaver valley, but there would also be a lot of chemical related office space along the Parkway West and Southpointe.

We're talking big business here. If Shell builds the cracker plant then you will probably see a lot of companies follow. Any major manufacturer who uses ethane will want to be near it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 06:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
It would have a huge impact on the northern and western markets. Shell currently leases a significant amount of space off of the 910 interchange at I-79, along with additional space in warrendale. There are quite a few companies that also lease in that vicinity to be near Shell.

The cracker plant itself would have an immense impact on the real estate market west of I-79. Yes there would be more industrial type uses in the Beaver valley, but there would also be a lot of chemical related office space along the Parkway West and Southpointe.

We're talking big business here. If Shell builds the cracker plant then you will probably see a lot of companies follow. Any major manufacturer who uses ethane will want to be near it.
But existing manufacturers who decide to put a new plant near the cracker won't need a ton of office space. It's not like they will be moving their HQs, most likely. If a new company starts up, they might end up eventually taking more space. One thing I didn't consider is the outside companies that might be providing service to the cracker or other plants. I still don't see how it'll be huge in office though. There could be a move to get some space closer to the cracker, as right now there isn't that much office out there. But they may not want to be right on top of it either if they don't have to. (Just think of the Exxon CEO, LOL)

In other words, in terms of office, seems to me what it would drive it is front line stuff, the extension to the customers (and maybe in a few cases the vendors). That seems like small offices to me. I don't see additional manufacturing and support creating needs for large back office operations in this area when most of the activity will likely be within existing companies. True, though, that even a bunch of small offices probably adds up to a little more than the "not much" I said earlier.

However it turns out, I certainly agree it's big business.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
If this cracker gets built, I bet that eastern Beaver County, adjacent to northern Allegheny County and southern Butler County, will become markedly wealthier. And I think that Beaver County as a whole will benefit from the jobs that come.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If this cracker gets built, I bet that eastern Beaver County, adjacent to northern Allegheny County and southern Butler County, will become markedly wealthier.
So I shouldn't sell my house yet if we find out they're going forward with the plant?

Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM

29 posts, read 53,800 times
so if a young professional were to go work on this proposed cracker plant, where would you recommend living? would commuting from the north side be a crazy commute? would sewickley or beaver be pretty boring for a young single guy?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by order88 View Post
so if a young professional were to go work on this proposed cracker plant, where would you recommend living? would commuting from the north side be a crazy commute? would sewickley or beaver be pretty boring for a young single guy?

I don't know how many stewardesses still live in Sewickley with USAir's downsizing at Pittsburgh International, it might not be that great a place for young guys in 2014.

There are college towns out that way which might be interesting. Moon is home to Robert Morris, Beaver Falls is home to Geneva College, they might be worth a look.

I wouldn't want to commute from the North Side to Monaca every day, but I wouldn't move if I already had a pad in the North Side either. If you like a long commute out the Parkway, mostly counter to traffic, it isn't the worst.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by order88 View Post
All depends on what you want your commute to be. And yes if you are 25 or younger. No if you are ~25+

Old 11-08-2014, 10:17 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:

If you like a long commute out the Parkway, mostly counter to traffic,
it isn't the worst.
Outbound traffic these days is as bad as inbound, if not worse. There is no "counter to" anymore.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Outbound traffic these days is as bad as inbound, if not worse. There is no "counter to" anymore.
I was just going to say that; having not had any reason to commute 'out' of the city for quite awhile until very recently I was shocked to find myself sitting in loads of traffic from Greentree past Robinson (I was ultimately going to the airport) that never existed before. Nearly as bad as the inbound commute this I wouldn't recommend living in the city.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:43 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
All depends on what you want your commute to be. And yes if you are 25 or younger. No if you are ~25+
I would change that to ~35+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh