Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

I don't care what happens next. The last 2 years have been fun, even with the 2 collapses. This year, the best in a long time. I've been to parties this Summer where the TV is tuned to the Bucco game, people are talking about the Bucs, going to the games, it's a great time.

Man, and people say I'm depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times
Just a thought. Assuming the Pirates fly into Cincinnati tonight (Wednesday, September 25) have an off day tomorrow (Thursday) lose two out of three this weekend giving the Reds home field advantage for the wild card game next Tuesday October 1, they will have spent seven straight days in the Queen City. That is assuming the Pirates do not fly back Sunday Night if they lose two out of three to the Big Red Machine. I hope the Buccos can take two out three this weekend so we can have the here in the Steel City next Tuesday. If not, Maybe Kings Island is still open to visit in their leisure time.
L

Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
The made almost 30 million in 07-08. They're one of the most profitible teams every year. They'll also be receiving 25 million just in tv money alone. Bet they don't put it into talent.

Don't know but they better keep drafting right or it'll be 20 more years.
We should be Pirate/Nutting bashing today because they made a lot of money 6 years ago? I`ve gotten over that.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We should be Pirate/Nutting bashing today because they made a lot of money 6 years ago? I`ve gotten over that.
I was asked how much money they made so I posted it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm envious of how someone can be so profitible producing such a poor product and people buy into it. Nutting is a marketing genius.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM

11 posts, read 11,940 times
Lucky enough to have Wild Card tix. Hopefully we can take 2 of 3 from Cincy and get the WC at home. Can't even begin the imagine the atmosphere for a one game playoff on the North Shore.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Pretty simple. Play the odds. 1 winning season in 20. Prove that I'm wrong. I hope im wrong but only time will tell.

There also is no evidence that they will continue to win, especially with their proven track record over the last 20 years.
Right you are! They had 20 losing seasons. And? Do you have anything else or do you just get a kick out of beating a dead horse?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 AM

I was asked questions. I answered them. Sorry if you don't like the truth.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-26-2013 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt132013 View Post
Lucky enough to have Wild Card tix. Hopefully we can take 2 of 3 from Cincy and get the WC at home. Can't even begin the imagine the atmosphere for a one game playoff on the North Shore.

That would be nuts, hope it happens. That game on Friday night was the killer, 2 strikes, 2 out, and they blow the lead. Damn.

It's still been a fun season.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it, however, I don't think I'll see crow on my menu.

Cant say I see the same for those grasping for continued success in years to come.
Yeah, the "they've lost for twenty years, therefore any success they have will be fleeting" argument is devoid of logic. The same could have been said about the '72 Steelers. Obviously, I'm not predicting the Bucs are going to win four World Series this decade, but saying that past outcomes dictate future results completely ignores the process behind those outcomes.

What about the current Pirates makes you think they'll regress to mediocrity? Do you think McCutchen's strikeout rate will rise in the next fews years as he tries to hit more home runs to increase the value of his next contract. Do you predict Neil Huntington's recent run of finding hidden value on the cheap in the free agent market will dry up? Do you believe that all the scouts and sabremetricians who think so highly of our farm system are delusional? Do you think a seismic shift in hitting strategy, away from sluggers and towards more skilled batsman who can spray line-drives all over the diamond, will render the Bucs defensive system of aggressive shifting and two-seamer heavy pitching ineffective?

Or do you just think that Bob Nutting is a cheap, greedy bugger who's going to sell off his assets as soon as the Bucs have enough success to get a new TV deal and a major bump in season ticket buyers?

Well, if he does that I'll let you borrow my pitchfork. But what I'm trying to tell you here is that those who really pay attention, those who know baseball better than you or I do, do NOT think the Pirates success is a fluke, and considering the strength of the farm system and the young core of talent at the major league level that's under contract for several more seasons, believe the Buccos are in prime shape to be contenders for the foreseeable future.

Let go of your cynicism good sir, the future is bright. Baseball is too beautiful a game to be marred by old haunts.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM

That's your opinion and I've expressed mine. If you don't like it don't read it.

Yes, Nutting is cheap and greedy. Hes getting $25 million from the tv deal and id bet that tix prices will go up, if not next year then the year after. When it comes time to pay up he's not gonna do it. Take this season in for all its worth because its indeed a fluke that you won't see in the near future.

Again, 1 nut in 20 years does not make a successful organization for the future. It will be back to hot dogs, fireworks, concerts, etc... when it comes time for Nutting to pay up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh