Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 AM

423 posts, read 629,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When I moved here, it was a culture shock that people lived and died by the football team, but didn't really care about the baseball team. Pittsburgh may be jumping on the Pirates bandwagon now, but it's still a football town. There really aren't Pirates fans akin to Cubs or Red Sox fans. The baseball culture just isn't there.
It's very hard to overestimate just how rotten the franchise was from 1993 to just a little while ago. It's not even like the team was trying hard but coming up short. Practically the whole organization was committed to getting it wrong for two decades. It ruined prospects; it threw money at lazy, over-the-hill veterans; it eschewed scouting overseas in favor of domestic players; and it showed no integration between its minor leagues and the needs of the Major League club. Bandwagon, sure, a lot of fans are "bandwagon" now that the team actually shows promise. Hell, most people are bandwagon when it comes to everything. But there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for Pittsburghers to support their team on their two decades' long march to failure, but that the team still sold tickets and merchandise probably should show you how big baseball could be. If the team kept up its winning from the 60s and 70s, and didn't get mixed up with drugs and Derek Bell, you might have a fanbase that rivals the Cubs and Red Sox. But, again, it's very hard to overestimate just how rotten the team was for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
....nothing?
But you were making a big deal about it. A lot of people going (and very low payroll) when the team was losing also gave the Pirates one of the best profits of any MLB team despite playing so bad. I was thinking of going to a NLDS game, but I'm not anywhere close to a big baseball fan to spend $200 for a ticket. That's more than my ticket for the Pens vs Hawks outdoor game in Chicago cost.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
But you were making a big deal about it. A lot of people going (and very low payroll) when the team was losing also gave the Pirates one of the best profits of any MLB team despite playing so bad. I was thinking of going to a NLDS game, but I'm not anywhere close to a big baseball fan to spend $200 for a ticket. That's more than my ticket for the Pens vs Hawks outdoor game in Chicago cost.
Those are aftermarket prices.

Wildcard standing room only tickets were 20 bucks.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Yinz are way too defensive, christ.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 14,749 times
I am old enough to remember when the Pirates were more popular than the Steelers in town during the 1960s-early 70s. There was Maz' home run to win the 1960 World Series, then the farm system produced a boatload of talent in the late 60s with guys like Oliver, Hebner, Sanguillen, Robertson, etc.. And the Pirates won the 1971 World Series. Meanwhile the Steelers never won anything, and many believed never would win anything. If you asked anyone on December 1, 1972 which team would most likely dominate their respective sport for the better part of the next decade, the Pirates or Steelers, 99 percent of people would say Pirates.

Then the Ten Days That Forever Changed Pittsburgh Sports occurred; from December 23, 1972, to January 1, 1973. On December 23, Franco Harris caught the Immaculate Reception for the Steelers first-ever playoff win. Even though the Steelers lost the following week to Miami, you just knew that this team had "IT", and we would be seeing much of them in the NFL's upcoming post-seasons. Then on January 1, 1973, we all woke up and were shocked to hear of Roberto Clemente's plane crash. That took the heart of the soul out of the team, and even though they won division championships in 1974 and 1975, the Pirates just never seemed to be the same after that. In many ways, the events of those ten days had implications for the Pirates and Steelers we still live with to this day.

Then after the 1975 season, the Pirates made one of the worst decisions in their history by allowing KDKA to fire legendary broadcaster Bob Prince. People would listen to the game broadcasts even if the Pirates were losing 8-0 just to hear what Prince had to say.

So, even though many hadn't experienced it from first-hand experience, Pittsburgh certainly does have a legitimate heritage as a baseball town.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:28 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
carl just made a point, didnt pass judgement. and his point was right.

best player in the world in hockey for pretty much every year since 1984.
the 2 years they didn't, this 'great hockey town' dipped to dead last in attendance and had their stuff packed for kansas city.
2003-2004 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

even the almighty steelers are already starting to dip, in no-shows and stubhub prices, and they haven't even realized they suck and should be rebuilding yet (see:levi brown trade). just wait another year or 2...

Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
all towns are like that
I'd like to introduce to you to the city of Toronto and their thousand year waiting list for the Toronto Maple Leafs season tickets.

Not that I'm saying that playing the battered wife is a good thing, but no, not all towns are like that.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
I'd like to introduce to you to the city of Toronto and their thousand year waiting list for the Toronto Maple Leafs season tickets.

Not that I'm saying that playing the battered wife is a good thing, but no, not all towns are like that.
Toronto isn't like that for one sport, hockey. The Blue Jays don't draw nearly what they did in the early 90's. The Raptors aren't exactly a hot ticket either.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
There's always an exception to the rule. Most towns are indeed like that...and with the Steelers in the toilet this year, there will be many cheap tix and empty seats available.

The Pirates have made money in recent years due to an awesome ball park, fireworks, all you can eat seats, concerts, etc...

Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Toronto isn't like that for one sport, hockey. The Blue Jays don't draw nearly what they did in the early 90's. The Raptors aren't exactly a hot ticket either.
exactly. in toronto they complain that jays mgmt doesnt spend enough money on talent. and. the maple leafs have thirteen stanley cups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh