Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Cardinals play in a market about the same size as the Pirates yet they put over one million more asses in the seats this year than the Pirates did, even as the two teams were neck-and-neck in the standings all season. They outsold everyone in the league except the Dodgers. Attendance at the last two games has exceeded 45,000 in a stadium with a seating capacity of 43,800. So don't think for a minute St. Louis hasn't earned its reputation as a top-tier baseball town.
Pittsburgh and St. Louis are similar sized metros, but St. Louis is a bigger baseball market. They draw out of Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, southern Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, much of the Midwest and south. The Pittsburgh market is more boxed in with Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore and Philadelphia. One could argue that Kansas City and Atlanta took some of the Cards market when Mlb expanded in the 1960s. But then we are talking about a pretty huge expanse of the USA, not to mention leftover Cardinal fans from those areas from the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Who honestly cares? Whether or not these teams play in pittsburgh has no bearing on my life. I love how yinzers think every city is like pittsburgh when it comes to sports. 2/3 of nfl markets could give a damn about their team. 8 to 10 teams at most carry the nfl. I hope the steelers suck for a long time so that ticket prices tank and the local news stops giving them the royal treatment. Hockey is only popular by region. The pens almost folded or moved half a dozen times till consol was built. If the pens suck the attendance will drop. Baseball lost its popularity in the 70s. The pirates were rumored to move every year till pnc was built. Really pittsburgh is lucky to have any pro sports teams as this city has shrunk leaps and bounds over the years.

Then again if those teams werent here there would be nothing else to do in this town.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:44 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Lmao!!!

Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Who honestly cares? Whether or not these teams play in pittsburgh has no bearing on my life. I love how yinzers think every city is like pittsburgh when it comes to sports. 2/3 of nfl markets could give a damn about their team. 8 to 10 teams at most carry the nfl. I hope the steelers suck for a long time so that ticket prices tank and the local news stops giving them the royal treatment. Hockey is only popular by region. The pens almost folded or moved half a dozen times till consol was built. If the pens suck the attendance will drop. Baseball lost its popularity in the 70s. The pirates were rumored to move every year till pnc was built. Really pittsburgh is lucky to have any pro sports teams as this city has shrunk leaps and bounds over the years.

Then again if those teams werent here there would be nothing else to do in this town.
methinks zman63 has been drinking. I like that - it illuminates his dark inner soul and inability to use upper case for all to see.

Some towns are simply great sports towns. I was born in one, and for 20 years my team sucked, but still got huge crowds. Their pathetic-ness was a source of massively creative humor. We learned how to repel barbs from other teams by being funny. And now we're good ...

I ain't been here for long, but my suspicion is Pittsburgh is one of those towns. It certainly seems to punch above its weight, if I may atrociously abuse metaphors.

And personally, I love it ... go bucs!! That was a fine performance today.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Pittsburgh and St. Louis are similar sized metros, but St. Louis is a bigger baseball market. They draw out of Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, southern Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, much of the Midwest and south. The Pittsburgh market is more boxed in with Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore and Philadelphia. One could argue that Kansas City and Atlanta took some of the Cards market when Mlb expanded in the 1960s. But then we are talking about a pretty huge expanse of the USA, not to mention leftover Cardinal fans from those areas from the old days.
Do you think it's primarily people from Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, etc., who are filling the stadium? Or is it primarily people from the St. Louis metro?

Also, I think it's a reach to say that in 2013 the Cardinals continue to have anything more than superficial market penetration into Louisiana (mostly an Astros market, the poor souls) or Mississippi/Alabama (mostly a Braves market). Even in places outside the metro area where they have significant market share, there's a lot of overlap with teams like the Cubs and the Royals. So while their geographical market share may still be large, it also covers a lot of empty space and/or competes with other teams. In terms of media market share, the Pirates are ranked 22nd while the Cardinals are ranked 19th.

Any way you slice it, it's ludicrous for someone in Pittsburgh of all places to doubt St Louis' credentials as a baseball town. By any objective measure, St. Louis punches well above its weight.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post

Just curious. Why do you participate in threads that you claim do not interest you? For example as a heterosexual, I don"t go into gay chat rooms to stir the pot. I simply stay away because it does not interest me. You are a perfect example of a person who uses the web for their own selfish motives. When called to the carpet, you"'ll back off and play innocent. It will be short lived of course. I have no problem with objective opinions.

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 10-04-2013 at 09:46 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
What's wrong with endorsing a high-quality product and rejecting a low-quality product?
Because someone like me who loves baseball above all other sports and attends a dozen or more Pirates games every year regardless of record wasn't selected for either the NLDS or NLCS ticket lotteries because those tickets ARE GOING TO BANDWAGONERS!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
I respect the bucs fanbase much more than the cards, and as a nats fan, I really really you buc beat them. its the only pgh team I root for even before they got into the playoffs. I hate the cards as much as I hate the redsox and Yankees.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I respect the bucs fanbase much more than the cards, and as a nats fan, I really really you buc beat them. its the only pgh team I root for even before they got into the playoffs. I hate the cards as much as I hate the redsox and Yankees.
Heh, that's enough to make you an honorary Cubs fan.

Though as a NL follower I'm generally indifferent toward the Yankees and Red Sox. Maybe that will change with more interleague play.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
I grew up as a Phillies fan. We managed dreadful attendance in the late 80s/90s (with the exception of 1993) in the Vet. The Phil's were the 3rd/4th team in town (at the bottom with the Sixers). A new stadium in 2004 (along with improved play) helped to pack the stadium and make it one of the most difficult places to play in mlb. Now, with a little slip in performance, attendance is starting to lag again. I'd put Pittsburgh in the same boat....great sports town who will follow a winner. I think most cities are like that, too. I'd imagine even mighty Busch Stadium would have a decent amount of empty seats if they went on a 10 year losing streak combined with improved performance from the Rams and Blues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh