Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,227,963 times

Advertisements

Hopefully they have a "shopping cart security system" installed to prevent them from being taken off property, otherwise they might not have any carts remaining for other shoppers to use in the next few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 04:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,276,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think it is a tough walk. My guess is that most of the posters here feel that the people who live down town want to walk to a grocery store and not drive. Just a guess.

I think it will really depend on whether or not there are enough Hill District residents to support the store or not. I wouldn't count of many people going there from other neighborhoods. Again, just a guess.

The store isn't meeting its expectations to date.

Diana Nelson Jones' Walkabout: Hill District Shop

Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,923,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The store isn't meeting its expectations to date.

Diana Nelson Jones' Walkabout: Hill District Shop
But sales are climbing....

Sales rise at Hill District Shop 'n Save grocery store | TribLIVE

Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
But sales are climbing....

That's certainly a good sign, but I wish they could have picked a better location with more traffic going by. The stretch of Centre between Reed and Herron is a lot more of a through route than up where they put it, but that wasn't the lot that they wanted to develop and when you are depending on URA/government funding and involvement, you don't have the same choice.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:53 PM

175 posts, read 168,688 times
Quote:
That's certainly a good sign, but I wish they could have picked a better location with more traffic going by. The stretch of Centre between Reed and Herron is a lot more of a through route than up where they put it, but that wasn't the lot that they wanted to develop and when you are depending on URA/government funding and involvement, you don't have the same choice.
They put it where there's already been plenty of successful development. I think its chances of success are greater where it stands...that gas station in the area you are talking about has bullet proof glass for a reason.

Sure it's not the most convenient location for many, but it's a lot more convenient than a jitney ride to the Southside Giant Eagle so maybe we should just be happy the neighborhood has one. As Uptown and this part of the Hill and the arena site slowly pick up steam, this place could require an expansion in 10 or 15 years.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:05 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
It is frustrating that we in Polish Hill are just as convenient to driving to Shadyside's grocery stores as it would be to heading to the Lower Hill for the Shop 'n Save. I'd like to help this store succeed, but why should I go there when there are better stores an equal distance away from our neighborhood? If the store was built at Centre & Herron it would have been so much better, as it could have served not only the Hill District but also Polish Hill and North Oakland.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:18 AM

175 posts, read 168,688 times
If you have other options that are convenient to you, then by all means use them. This store and the grants that supported it were to benefit the residents of the Hill and it was located in the place that gives it the best chance of success.

Other neighborhoods will benefit, and those from Polish Hill and N Oakland that acknowledge that at most times of the day it's much easier to get to the Shop N Save and in and out of its parking lot than it is to do the same at Market District.

Once Uptown and the arena site take off, this place won't be able to handle the business thrown its way. Even downtown residents may very well prefer it over the small offerings within the Golden Triangle and the run down GE on the Northside. Maybe it's not the most convenient for you, but it wasn't built for you, and you are still closer to it than 95% of people in the city.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post

Sure it's not the most convenient location for many, but it's a lot more convenient than a jitney ride to the Southside Giant Eagle so maybe we should just be happy the neighborhood has one. As Uptown and this part of the Hill and the arena site slowly pick up steam, this place could require an expansion in 10 or 15 years.
We shall see on this, it is a very large store for the modest size of the population within easy walking distance, and people can only eat so much.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:15 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
We shall see on this, it is a very large store for the modest size of the population within easy walking distance, and people can only eat so much.
You've apparently never been behind me at a buffet.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:43 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,906,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If the store was built at Centre & Herron it would have been so much better, as it could have served not only the Hill District but also Polish Hill and North Oakland.
That intersection is already so screwed up (and in need of a protected left turn arrow)..
Herron's intersection with Bigelow is also extremely frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh