Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,914 times

Advertisements

im trying to find someone and i surfed CL and found hardly anything in the city.

not to do my work, but to help me actually understand some stuff i need help with. I cant make it to my teachers office hours due to work and classes so im looking for someone for an hour or two at least once a week.

this is in java btw.
any help is helpful and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,626 times
Do you know about lynda.com? You can access it through my.pitt. I see there are a couple of Java tutorials. Not that it is better than a personal tutor!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 AM

144 posts, read 224,484 times
I'm fairly proficient with Java, having gotten all the way up to Algorithm Implementation (i.e. memoization, breadth-first search, common substrings, etc.), and I am learning C right now. Hit me up with a private message if you want to discuss further.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,231 times
Here, here... 20+ of experience in java, c++ and other falvors of C, VB and other older languages.

You can send me questions. I don;t have time for tutoring though.

If you want tutoring one on one try clubz in home tutoring

some friends of mine had very good experience with them. they work one on one from what I understand and come to your house.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,914 times
ive tried lynda, but like youtube it leaves me confused. its mostly some stuff im confused on and how to implement it.

thanks for the advice and ill pm you soon.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 PM

248 posts, read 326,316 times
I'm also a programmer, if you want to post your questions here one of us could probably answer your questions.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
I'm also a programmer, if you want to post your questions here one of us could probably answer your questions.
and we could argue over the best approach/solution!! go for it

Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,757 times
I really wish schools would stop using Java as an entry level language. It is too complex and too big for a newbie. While I know BASIC is no longer relevant, it never really was in the first place. It is much better to start with a simple procedural language to get students through the basic concepts then move on to a more real world language.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 AM

248 posts, read 326,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I really wish schools would stop using Java as an entry level language. It is too complex and too big for a newbie. While I know BASIC is no longer relevant, it never really was in the first place. It is much better to start with a simple procedural language to get students through the basic concepts then move on to a more real world language.
I agree, I think it's better to start with something that really doesn't require an IDE. Or that at least uses a very simplistic IDE that makes it easy for them to see what their code is doing. Procedural is way easier to understand from scratch than OO.

My first real language was Pascal because that was what they used in my high school programming class. It was a pretty good place to start I think.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,231 times
Oh guys, I started with Fortran which is still used, by the way. Same with basic. When I retire I plan on working few month per year taking assignments in "dead" languages nobody knows anymore

to the OP: ask here.

Oh, and to make the picture complete, you guys don;t know how good you have it. In college I had to punch cards and take them to the compiler. I dropped them on the floor few times and I had to start from scratch. SO you are compliaining about an IDE? Guys, guys LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh