Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 AM

53 posts, read 192,935 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating in about a year when my husband retires from the govt. Currently we are in the "exploratory phase" trying to decide where to go!! We live in the D.C. suburbs and want to escape the high cost of living! Some of the cities we are considering are Pittsburgh, Ann Arbor, Cincinnati, Nashville, and Raleigh!( quite an eclectic list! ) We have a child who will be transferring to the community college and later a four-year school in whatever area we choose. We've been reading "Best Cities" type books, magazines, etc. to come up with ideas. Of the above cities, Pittsburgh and Raleigh are the only two that some or all of us have visited in the past. Here are some of my questions! 1) Housing - I've looked up homes in Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon and Bethel Park. How is the traffic, shopping, restaurants, crime, etc.? How long is a driving commute into downtown? 2) The T - How long does it take to get downtown from the above named suburbs on the T? Is there parking at the T stations? Is there crime on the T? 3) Weather - About how much snow do you get each winter? Are the roads cleared quite quickly? (here in the Washington area the city goes into "panic-mode" when it snows!) Is it really as cloudy and rainy as some books say? Is it bitterly cold in the winter? Humid in the summer? 4) Colleges - I've read about Allegheny Community College having a South campus which looks close to the above suburbs. Would it be much of a drive? Also, Penn State has a campus in McKeesport - how would that commute be? Or the U. of Pittsburgh downtown? We would greatly appreciate any info!! Pittsburgh gets rave reviews in many "Best Cities" books and magazines! Would like to hear from people in this forum!! Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM

353 posts, read 1,729,362 times
[ 1) Housing - I've looked up homes in Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon and Bethel Park. How is the traffic, shopping, restaurants, crime, etc.? How long is a driving commute into downtown?

Traffic - Normal suburban traffic. Shopping and restaurants - great.
Commute to downtown about 20 min - up to 45 during rush hour. You have 2 choices to get into the city from the South Hills - Liberty Tunnel or the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

2) The T - How long does it take to get downtown from the above named suburbs on the T? About 20 min.

Is there parking at the T stations? Yes

Is there crime on the T? Not that I heard about.

3) Weather - About how much snow do you get each winter? Depends, usually not very much.

Are the roads cleared quite quickly? Yes

(here in the Washington area the city goes into "panic-mode" when it snows!)

Is it really as cloudy and rainy as some books say? We are the 3rd gloomiest city in the US

Is it bitterly cold in the winter? Not usually

Humid in the summer? Yes but, not as humid as the southern states.

4) Colleges - I've read about Allegheny Community College having a South campus which looks close to the above suburbs. Would it be much of a drive?
No

Also, Penn State has a campus in McKeesport - how would that commute be?
20 to 30 min.

Or the U. of Pittsburgh downtown? 20 to 30 min

We would greatly appreciate any info!! Pittsburgh gets rave reviews in many "Best Cities" books and magazines! Would like to hear from people in this forum!! Thanks so much!![/quote]

I've lived in Pittsburgh for 40 years, 6 in the downtown area and 34 in the North Hills. The North suburbs has the easiest access to almost anywhere you want to go. It is cloudy a lot here and winters are usually pretty mild.
We have many really good restaurants, good theaters, a lot of parks, festivals, and a lot of other things to do. There is always going to be crime no matter where you go. Pittsburgh's crime rate is pretty low compared to other cities of similar size.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:08 PM

56 posts, read 383,868 times
Arrow Question for PghREA

You said you live in the North Hills. What areas does that include (i.e., how far north)? Are you talking about Mexican War Streets, Sewickley, etc.? I've visited Pittsburgh and liked it but am not sure what you're referring to.

Thanks....

Old 10-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Thanks!!

To PghREA - Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!!! I just had a few more questions! You said the North Hills suburbs have the easiest access to most things - what are the North Hills suburbs??! The reason I was concentrating on Mt. Lebanon, etc. was because of their proximity to the T. (living in the D.C. area with the Metro subway system has spoiled us!) Also, you said Pittsburgh was the third gloomiest U.S. city! Is it cloudy most days? Every other day? Does it rain/drizzle most days? Thanks again for all of the info - we really appreciate it!!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Corcoran View Post
You said you live in the North Hills. What areas does that include (i.e., how far north)? Are you talking about Mexican War Streets, Sewickley, etc.? I've visited Pittsburgh and liked it but am not sure what you're referring to.

Thanks....
Mexican War Streets is part of the city. Sewickley is west on the north side of the Ohio River. I'm in Hampton Township - 17 miles north of the Point.

North Hills is Shaler, Hampton, Ross, McCandless, Pine, Richland, Franklin Park, Marshall, Bradford Woods and Ohio Townships.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
To PghREA - Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!!! I just had a few more questions! You said the North Hills suburbs have the easiest access to most things - what are the North Hills suburbs??! The reason I was concentrating on Mt. Lebanon, etc. was because of their proximity to the T. (living in the D.C. area with the Metro subway system has spoiled us!) Also, you said Pittsburgh was the third gloomiest U.S. city! Is it cloudy most days? Every other day? Does it rain/drizzle most days? Thanks again for all of the info - we really appreciate it!!
It is cloudy and overcast a lot. No it does not rain or drizzle most days.

The North Hills is anything north of the Allegheny River. We do not have rapid
transit in the North. Most people drive everywhere they go in the Pittsburgh
area.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM

To PghREA - Thanks again for your help!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:01 PM

67 posts, read 221,319 times
How near north can you go and still be safe for the family- near allegheny general hospital - bad area? or getting nice?

JV

Old 10-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALT View Post
How near north can you go and still be safe for the family- near allegheny general hospital - bad area? or getting nice?

JV

Allegheny General is located in the North Side - part of the city.
It is not an area that I would choose to live in.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,517 times
what is your opinion of the mckeesport area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh