Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I don't see the allure of being buried in a casket, or in a cemetery at all for that matter. I'd prefer to be buried in my backyard, so that my surviving family can visit my grave often. Is this legal?
It's legal in my State, but that may vary in others. The only restriction here is that the burial is a certain distance from a water supply.

However....it can be difficult to sell the house and property with a grave in the yard.

You'd still be required to obtain a burial permit.

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I wouldn't want a family member buried in my yard. I'd move. Everyone deals with grief in different ways. Some family members don't want to visit graves often. I don't go to the cemetery because it's too painful to go there. I love and miss them too much to be reminded they aren't in my life. Everyone is different. My sister goes to the cemetery and talks to them regularly. I can talk to them anywhere. I don't need to go to a cemetery to do it.

My husband and I have agreed that each of us gets to decide what to do when the other dies. We don't have wishes we want to enforce on people. We realize that the people left living are the people who matter the most because they are the ones who have to live with the decisions. We feel the same way about those living wills that dictate what to do if brain dead. Neither of us want to force the other to go through something they don't want to go through. For example, if I'm on a ventilator, I believe it should be my husband's decision if he wants to pull the plug or not---since he is the one who has to live with it. He feels the same way, and wants me to make the decision if he's on a ventilator.

Medical professionals are often surprised to hear that we purposely do not have a living will for that reason. But when you've buried enough family members, you realize that death is all about the living, not the people who died. Maybe they are also surprised because it shows we trust each other entirely.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Hope....you should put that in writing too, and have it notarized. Leave no question about who makes the decision.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-06-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Funeral directors don't manage cemeteries. They manage funeral homes.
Ummmm.....not necessarily.

I own multiple funeral homes, a cemetery, and a crematory.

But I began as a funeral director/owner of a family funeral home over 110 years old.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I own multiple funeral homes, a cemetery, and a crematory.
Multiple hats. Multiple titles. Multiple licenses.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Multiple hats. Multiple titles. Multiple licenses.
Mega hours of CE (continuing education). :-(

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:

I wouldn't want a family member buried in my yard.
It's much less conspicuous if you bury them in the basement...

Old 11-06-2013, 04:32 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Is mummification illegal in Pennsylvania? What about having my head shrunken, and stored in a jar full of formaldehyde so that my family could look at my smiling face for generations to come. I think I'm on to something here! As long as I can legally have my head preserved in some sort of glass container, the dogs can just bury the rest of my body in the backyard. No tombstone, no nothing....So nobody will even though I'm buried back there. My family can just stick a milkbone in my ass and let the dogs take care of the rest.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
I don't see the allure of being buried in a casket, or in a cemetery at all for that matter. I'd prefer to be buried in my backyard, so that my surviving family can visit my grave often. Is this legal?
I wouldn't do that. It would be convenient for your close relatives NOW, but as Hopes said -- they move and the new owners would "forget" you.

As someone who has scoured I don't know how many old maps of several areas back in PA late 1700's -- I can't find my 5th great grandfather for nothing. No one knows where McCoy's Burial Ground is -- or even WHAT it is.

And I'm not the only one looking. Those sorts of graveyards disappear and when your 5th great grand something (yes -- I look for uncles and aunts!) tries to find you all she ends up with is nothing.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It's much less conspicuous if you bury them in the basement...

Quote:
Is mummification illegal in Pennsylvania? What about having my head shrunken, and stored in a jar full of formaldehyde so that my family could look at my smiling face for generations to come. I think I'm on to something here! As long as I can legally have my head preserved in some sort of glass container, the dogs can just bury the rest of my body in the backyard. No tombstone, no nothing....So nobody will even though I'm buried back there. My family can just stick a milkbone in my ass and let the dogs take care of the rest.
You and Walt Disney would have made great friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh