Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times

Advertisements

GIS stands for geographic information science.
It's a specialty in IT that's really booming apparently, which is good for me. I'm going to be graduating with a GIS degree and would perhaps like to go back "home" if you will to Pittsburgh and check out who's hiring and what's going on in the job market.

thanks yinz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 01:11 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
It's a specialty in IT that's really booming apparently, which is good for me. I'm going to be graduating with a GIS degree and would perhaps like to go back "home" if you will to Pittsburgh and check out who's hiring and what's going on in the job market.

thanks yinz!
Where did you go to school at? I am currently studying GIS at Harrisburg University. There are a lot of jobs at firms in the Harrisburg area, apparently.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Where did you go to school at? I am currently studying GIS at Harrisburg University. There are a lot of jobs at firms in the Harrisburg area, apparently.
I'm at Penn State.

To be honest I'd rather not work in Harrisburg though, it seems too small!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
I'm at Penn State.

To be honest I'd rather not work in Harrisburg though, it seems too small!
Cool...I'm probably going to transfer somewhere and am looking at schools....but I feel the same way about State College...too small! I'd rather finish school in a large city.

Harrisburg does have a "big-city" feel and great nightlife, but Pittsburgh is definitely ahead of Harrisburg in everything except jobs/economy.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Cool...I'm probably going to transfer somewhere and am looking at schools....but I feel the same way about State College...too small! I'd rather finish school in a large city.

Harrisburg does have a "big-city" feel and great nightlife, but Pittsburgh is definitely ahead of Harrisburg in everything except jobs/economy.
I know someone in GIS here who transfered from West Chester.

I agree though. State College is rather small for my tastes, but at 18 I didn't really know how badly I'd miss the city. It's why I'm looking to get a job back home.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,351 times
Quote:

thanks yinz!

If you are into GIS and looking to get back to Pittsburgh. Check out BAE Systems. BAE is a multi-national company with a satellite office in Pittsburgh. They are currently hiring (and have been for the past year). Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 PM

156 posts, read 296,842 times
Default Technology jobs - website

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRP View Post
If you are into GIS and looking to get back to Pittsburgh. Check out BAE Systems. BAE is a multi-national company with a satellite office in Pittsburgh. They are currently hiring (and have been for the past year). Good luck.
A good place to check for technology jobs in Pittsburgh is the Pittsburgh Technology Website: Pittsburgh Technology Council: Career Center

Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 AM
PIT

23 posts, read 83,392 times
Try Michael Baker Company or Kimball (sp) Associates......any of the large engineering/comtractors in the area. I seen jobs with both of these companies in the past two months or so in the area of GIS programming. I have GIS skills but not to the degree that I can write the programs so I passed. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh