Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Was meant as a joke.

From my experience most Central Grads (even old timers) are overly nterested in the how the school's football and basketball teams are doing. There attitude is basically that they and they alone had a positive high school experience. Sort of like the Penn Staters with their "Happy Valley" experience.
Central Catholic is the Pgh Mafia. I have met so many in the biz world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Damn I guess I married into a mafia family! I demand a reality show!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

Central's alumni includes judges, lawyers, peep show operators and mafia underbosses. Pretty illustrious cast of characters, regardless of what field of endeavor the OP's offspring might want to pursue.

Making it in Pittsburgh: It's not required, but it helps if you graduated from Central

Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM

28 posts, read 81,112 times
Wow, transportation to Catholic Schools? That's AMAZING to me. Unheard of in Denver.
I appreciate everyone's insight so far. Very helpful! We're not set on Greensburg or Cranberry, those are both just places I've heard of so far...this is why I posted here, to get the real story from those of you who know....

Keep the comments coming...so helpful! Thanks everyone!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM

28 posts, read 81,112 times
I currently work at a Catholic School in Denver as their Director of Communications. I know that Catholic schools typically will not follow the IEP my daughter needs due to lack of resources...I get it. There is a Catholic High School here in Denver which offers a "Learning Services (Support) Program" for additional tuition for kids who are on IEPs to work with them on accommodations---i.e. extra time on tests, study skills, etc. Because they have learned that you can't put kids in a box and that there are learning differences, wondering if any of the Catholic High Schools in Pittsburgh area offer anything like this that you know of?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Central's alumni includes judges, lawyers, peep show operators and mafia underbosses. Pretty illustrious cast of characters, regardless of what field of endeavor the OP's offspring might want to pursue.

Making it in Pittsburgh: It's not required, but it helps if you graduated from Central
To be sure, go to Central, get a degree from Pitt/Duquesne, advanced degree from CMU, and you are set for life, baby. Or do what Luke did, BS from W and J and have your parents get you elected.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignMoxe View Post
I currently work at a Catholic School in Denver as their Director of Communications. I know that Catholic schools typically will not follow the IEP my daughter needs due to lack of resources...I get it. There is a Catholic High School here in Denver which offers a "Learning Services (Support) Program" for additional tuition for kids who are on IEPs to work with them on accommodations---i.e. extra time on tests, study skills, etc. Because they have learned that you can't put kids in a box and that there are learning differences, wondering if any of the Catholic High Schools in Pittsburgh area offer anything like this that you know of?
The accommodations are provided via 504. You'll need to get one while you're in Colorado. You'll slow down the process of receiving accommodations if you don't already have a 504 in place. Catholic schools are required by law to provide "reasonable" accommodations to children with disabilities. That falls under 504 law, not IEP law. Study skills is unlikely though. These things do NOT cost extra tuition in Pennsylvania.

The reality is a child with a learning disability is not going to get the same quality education at a Catholic school. If you don't want public school, consider the area's private non-religious schools. Sometimes they are more willing to make accommodations because the class sizes are smaller and the tuition is high enough for parents to expect a certain degree of thinking outside of the box.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 PM

129 posts, read 161,079 times
We live in Warrendale, which is right next to Cranberry, and love the area.
Houses are newer/bigger, w/ easy access to I-79.

Our kid goes to Aquinas Academy in Gibsonia, which is about 20-minute drive away.
The school doesn't provide as much resources as public schools, in terms of hardware or IEP in your case, but we like the smaller size classes (~15), and the academics.

One thing about transportation you may want to know:
Just because the public schools & their bus companies are required by law to get your kid to the private school of your choosing, doesn't mean they have to do it fast.
Even though it takes us 20 minutes to drive our kid to Aquinas, it takes North Allegheny an hour from pick-up in Warrendale, to drop-off in Gibsonia due to their bus routes. Pick-up is something ridiculous, like 6:30am.
Your millage may vary.
Another Aquinas family who's only one street over, is in a different school district (Seneca Valley).
It takes them only 25 - 30 minutes, because of different bus company & route.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
If I knew I was sending my children to Aquinas Academy before buying a house, I'd chose to live in Pine-Richland, Hampton or McCandless school districts.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:28 PM

129 posts, read 161,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If I knew I was sending my children to Aquinas Academy before buying a house, I'd chose to live in Pine-Richland, Hampton or McCandless school districts.
In a hindsight, that's what we would've done.
At the time we weren't too sure about Aquinas, so picked Warrendale in case we need North Allegheny as backup plan.
McCandless did come across during the house hunting, but we preferred the Cranberry area over North Hills.
For some reason there just aren't as many houses for sale in Hampton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh