Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

My husband caught Lyme's Disease from a tick two years ago in February. Last month, I have pulled ticks off of my dog on three separate occasions. He hasn't really left our yard since it has been so cold. I'm really getting tired of the ticks.

I feel we should be able to walk out into our own yard without having to worry about them. You'd think winter with snow would be the slow season with them but it seems to be the time of year they're most prevalent.

Fortunately, my dog wears a tick collar. The collar didn't repel the ticks but they are dead when I pull them off. That doesn't mean I don't have to take their little carcasses to the vet to be analyzed in the lab.

Some deer cut through our yard and broke a bunch of branches and leaves off of an evergreen bush. The ticks must be coming from the deer. I can't imagine how else I have ticks in my yard in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 PM

44 posts, read 41,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My husband caught Lyme's Disease from a tick two years ago in February. Last month, I have pulled ticks off of my dog on three separate occasions. He hasn't really left our yard since it has been so cold. I'm really getting tired of the ticks.

I feel we should be able to walk out into our own yard without having to worry about them. You'd think winter with snow would be the slow season with them but it seems to be the time of year they're most prevalent.

Fortunately, my dog wears a tick collar. The collar didn't repel the ticks but they are dead when I pull them off. That doesn't mean I don't have to take their little carcasses to the vet to be analyzed in the lab.

Some deer cut through our yard and broke a bunch of branches and leaves off of an evergreen bush. The ticks must be coming from the deer. I can't imagine how else I have ticks in my yard in the winter.
My dog is several years old and has had Frontline on her since she was a puppy. She's traveled the East Coast and we've never had any problems with her getting ticks. I don't recommend collars. Frontline isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 PM

101 posts, read 190,722 times
UGH! Now you have me all worried about my kids who are out and about playing (edited to say, during the day, not currently since it is after 1 a.m.) My daughter is a tick magnet, she has had at least 10 in her life (she is only 7.) When she was 4, she got two over the summer, one in the thigh crease and the other in a more personal area. Neither were experiences that any of us care to repeat. I always thought ticks were dormant during the winter but a quick Google search tells me otherwise. Guess I will be checking them during the winter too.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl.In.The.Woods View Post
My dog is several years old and has had Frontline on her since she was a puppy. She's traveled the East Coast and we've never had any problems with her getting ticks. I don't recommend collars. Frontline isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.
I wish it was that easy. My dog has to use a tick collar. He has very sensitive skin. We're trying to keep him off of steroids. Revolution is the only flea medication he can use. It's much more expensive than Frontline, but it doesn't have tick control in it for some reason. We clearly have tick problems since my husband caught Lyme's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz-momof2 View Post
UGH! Now you have me all worried about my kids who are out and about playing (edited to say, during the day, not currently since it is after 1 a.m.) My daughter is a tick magnet, she has had at least 10 in her life (she is only 7.) When she was 4, she got two over the summer, one in the thigh crease and the other in a more personal area. Neither were experiences that any of us care to repeat. I always thought ticks were dormant during the winter but a quick Google search tells me otherwise. Guess I will be checking them during the winter too.
I'm glad I posted this thread then! (That's funny about not playing at 1 am! Why not, mom?!?! LOL) My husband's was in the back of his upper arm, a place he couldn't see himself. It died in his arm and was there for a week before we found it. Classic bull's-eye.

I'm going to ask my friend if my yard can be exterminated in the winter. It's probably pointless with the snow since it will wash away the pesticide. I have to figure out a way to keep the deer out of my yard. This tick was on my dog's nose. It's obvious he was smelling when it got on him. He sticks his nose into every deer track.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:35 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
There are several all natural remedies out there but nothing that seems overwhelmingly effective. You could google it for sensitive dogs but it will likely be a trial and error ordeal.(neem oil is one that is organic and my go to insect control in my garden.) I dislike advantage but have found it to work better than anything...3 dogs and no ticks in 7 years here.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:42 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
I know the feeling. We have a huge side yard that deer often use to sleep at night (usually in groups of 3-4). They seem to show up more in winter, bedding down under our spruce trees. I'm afraid to let my daughter play over there due to all of the droppings and fear of ticks. I'd like to put up a fence but it would cost massive $$$ to do so as I would need to run somewhere around 150 yards of fence.

I grew up in the south and routinely came home with ticks after scouting trips. It was before the era of Lyme disease awareness and I'm lucky I didn't get it. I'm hiking the entire Appalachian Trail in the far future (20 years from now) and my biggest concern (aside from crazies) is Lyme Disease. The best prevention method is long pants and sleeves, tucking your pants into your socks. But who does that in 90+ degree weather?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I'd like to put up a fence but it would cost massive $$$ to do so as I would need to run somewhere around 150 yards of fence.
Don't waste your money. They jump right over our fence.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
how do you KNOW you have them on you? is it a persistent itch? are they easy to remove?

Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
how do you KNOW you have them on you? is it a persistent itch? are they easy to remove?
You don't really. You just have to check. Head (assuming you have a decent amount of hair) is the hardest area to check of course.

Haven't had problems here with the people anyway. Don't have animals who go outside. We do have some deer coming through but I'm wondering if it's a specific vegetation issue. Or maybe it's just that a dog is a tick magnet. Seems really odd that it should be a problem in winter.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I'm hiking the entire Appalachian Trail in the far future (20 years from now) and my biggest concern (aside from crazies) is Lyme Disease. The best prevention method is long pants and sleeves, tucking your pants into your socks. But who does that in 90+ degree weather?
My mother did this about 5 years ago, in her 60s. Didn't end up finishing in one year but in two. Anyway, if you're going to thru hike the timing of it is such that it won't be 90+ pretty much at all. You'll likely find you need the long sleeves more often than not. You get very light breathable stuff that won't weigh you down and won't be too hot. As for crazies, you'll be surprised how many other hikers will be out there, all pretty crazy. But when you get closer to time you can try to find some hiking partners who will be at same pace and so forth. Unless you specifically want to hike alone of course. It shouldn't be a problem. It's a highly unlikely problem but gets all the press when it does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh