Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times

Advertisements

When I was driving Yellow Cab, I sometimes picked up a fellow driver on Rosetta- couldn't stop in front of his domicile which was actually facing city steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:51 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I was looking around on Zillow yesterday, and came across this place:
104 Milroy St, Pittsburgh, PA 15214 is For Sale - Zillow

which is located here:
http://goo.gl/maps/muocb

According to Zillow that house was built in 1901. I assume at that time there must of been a street through there.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
According to Zillow that house was built in 1901. I assume at that time there must of been a street through there.
The county assessment map seems to show that there was (or maybe there was a right-of-way?) in the past?
Allegheny County Assessment

Aha. Zooming in on the Pittsburgh Historic Maps page (Pittsburgh Historic Maps) for 1923 shows "Pelham Street", and Sonora extended up to meet it. Also, it looks like parcel 77-K-151 might be a way to get down to the former Pelham St? It looks like it is city-owned.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:22 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
This reminds me of Duck Hollow. Because of the low rail bridge that twice runs over the one and only roadway to the neighborhood, delivery trucks and such cannot actually enter the area.
that one bridge down there will remain, but i do believe they are planning a new bridge for vehicles. it will be a PA DOT sponsored job.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Getting back to the Milroy house--looks like that house has a fairly large lot, some of which looks buildable. SCR could build his micro house, then take his time fixing up the main house (which he could then use as a source of income). He could rent out one of the bedrooms to someone skilled in contracting work, exchanging free rent for labor. It's a thought, anyway.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Getting back to the Milroy house--looks like that house has a fairly large lot, some of which looks buildable. SCR could build his micro house, then take his time fixing up the main house (which he could then use as a source of income). He could rent out one of the bedrooms to someone skilled in contracting work, exchanging free rent for labor. It's a thought, anyway.
A very good thought, too! I'm glad you guys posted this, as I just may check it out! I'm looking for a relative fixer-upper that's still habitable in the interim (i.e. running water, heat, electricity, not in danger of immediate collapse, etc.) I'm really starting to become more fond of the North Side than the East End, actually, and although Troy Hill has been beckoning to me this Milroy house is indeed quite tempting for me!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
That house on Milroy is only accessible by city steps if googlemaps is accurate regarding the address. Milroy crosses I279 and starts a steep climb before it turns a hard banked right turn. If you were to go straight before the turn there are a few houses off of the steps. That area is extremely steep and not always well taken care of in bad weather. Go check it out, it's quiet back there, the bus is a short walk (perrysville ave is right above this or you have east street) and there are woods behind these houses which is nice.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM

It's confusing which house they mean. The realtor site made it appear as if they were talking about the house at the top of the steps, which would also be on the road.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
It's not, it's just below the road and on the steps. You can see the image on street view. I grew up near here, lots of the houses in this area have been demolished over the last 20 years or so.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM

So how many steps would you have to take to get to the house? Might not be all that much different from having to take a flight of stairs to get to a second floor condo.

Meanwhile, I'm bummed if it's not the house I thought it was. That house looked like it had real potential. The realtor should have done a better job posting photos of the real house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh