Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM

458 posts, read 657,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I don't ever hear of anyone visiting Toronto for fun.
We not only visit Toronto often, but Montreal, Quebec City, and the Canadian Maritimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
ive been to montreal and Toronto and ill be glad to never go back to any place in the providence of quebec again. Montreal/quebec is the Canadian version of Texas. ive never met so many snotty French Canadians in my life who refused to speak English especially in montreal. I guess I can see why even Canadians dislike folks from montreal as well.

So you can read minds? You instinctively knew they could speak English but simply refused to?

(Lots of people in Quebec simply don't speak English and speak only French. Including in Montreal. For the same reasons that lots of people in the US only speak English.)

Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,060,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So you can read minds? You instinctively knew they could speak English but simply refused to?

(Lots of people in Quebec simply don't speak English and speak only French. Including in Montreal. For the same reasons that lots of people in the US only speak English.)
I think your attempt to educate Barq would be a waste of time, but you can give it a try. I have not visited Montreal yet, but really would like to. Love La Fin Du Monde! When anyone starts telling me how this place "hates" that place and people in Paris think this and whatever, I tend to take it with a grain of salt. People in all regions are going to have a lot of varying opinions and when anyone thinks only in black and white, I realize they aren't worth my time. Barq is one of those people who can't seem to understand there are tons of types of people all over the place in every city and town. You can't simply stamp some label on an area and use the terms, "they" as if there is one type of person living in that little city called Montreal. It is laughable though and I now have a true understanding of this guy.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Love La Fin Du Monde!
That is a great beer. But six of them really make the name hit home the next morning.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,060,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That is a great beer. But six of them really make the name hit home the next morning.
6! Great!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 AM

510 posts, read 908,122 times
I have visited Toronto and I admit I do not find it terribly compelling. It is a nice city but not one I feel I would return to.
However, I love Montreal and Quebec City! I enjoy the European feel, the culture, and the dining options. I do speak passable French, though, so maybe I got the extra good treatment?
I also love Vancouver and Victoria, B.C. but definitely won't be driving there anytime soon.

I am intrigued by the praises of the Canadian wines. I will have to try some. I admit I can be a little snobby about such things but I trust the judgment of some of the posters here.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,248,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
After 6 of those I doubt I'd remember my own name ...

Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,862,146 times
Centre Island - Toronto - Reviews of Centre Island - TripAdvisor

Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,920,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

well, I tried to say things in French and just confused us so I just said it in English. I can understand things in French since Spanish is similar and while ill never understand 100% of it, if I get a grasp of key words I can normally complete the sentence and go from there.

you'd think in tourist areas theyd at least know some decent English since well, both are languages they use. id be fine if I was off the beaten track and my expectations of folks being somewhat fluent in English would seem absurd but this wasn't the case. I was in an area full of a variety of tourists yet felt like I was in the middle of a small French town.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,920,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think your attempt to educate Barq would be a waste of time, but you can give it a try. I have not visited Montreal yet, but really would like to. Love La Fin Du Monde! When anyone starts telling me how this place "hates" that place and people in Paris think this and whatever, I tend to take it with a grain of salt. People in all regions are going to have a lot of varying opinions and when anyone thinks only in black and white, I realize they aren't worth my time. Barq is one of those people who can't seem to understand there are tons of types of people all over the place in every city and town. You can't simply stamp some label on an area and use the terms, "they" as if there is one type of person living in that little city called Montreal. It is laughable though and I now have a true understanding of this guy.

I think montreal is overrated imo. I prefer Calgary over montreal. something about western Canada that I like more than the eastern side. another place while I only visited just a day and a half, was Winnipeg.

overall there are, in my opinion, much better places to visit than montreal.

kinda funny you label me like this when you yourself picture your own area as black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh