Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 10,555 times

Advertisements

We are looking for private schools in the Pittsburgh area. Tuition over $10,000 a year would be prohibitive for us.

It seems like many private schools have a catholic affiliation but we are not catholic. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Most secular private schools are over $10,000 for middle and high school.

Oakland School is $10,000. It's an "alternative" college prep school. It's only 9-12 though.

Falk Laboratory School is K-8. Tuition is $12,774.

Is there a reason you aren't considering public school?

Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
The main unaffiliated ones are Sewickley Academy, Shadyside Academy and Wichester Thurston. There's also the Ellis School which is all girls. Doubt any of them are within the $10k budget though.

You don't have to be Catholic to attend the Catholic schools AFAIK, but you may not care for that component of the schooling either.

Do you already live in the Pittsburgh area? I ask because many public school districts in this area are very good and some of those are pretty small and thus it will make some curious as to why you are looking for the private school. Indeed, this may be a big factor in why there aren't more non-religious private schools in the area. So if you don't already live here, you can choose to locate in a school district that appeals to you. Of course, there may be specific programs you are looking for or something, but the budget you have seems fairly low to me. Sometimes there are scholarships and/or financial aid available at those three above.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The main unaffiliated ones are Sewickley Academy, Shadyside Academy and Wichester Thurston. There's also the Ellis School which is all girls. Doubt any of them are within the $10k budget though.
They're well over 20k for middle school and high school. Winchester Thurston is $21,000 for 6-8 escalating up to $26,200 for 11-12. But the OP shouldn't rule them out. They are well funded for financial aid and students aren't accepted on ability to pay. I should have thought to mention that, but I was only focused on the OP's budget. Having 10k to put towards a tuition at Winchester Thurston or Shady Side could very well be financially possible.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Yes we are already in a public school but there is a growing group of kids that are increasingly disrespectful to teachers and unkind to the other kids including my child who used to love school and now hates it. I'm hoping to find a better learning environment.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimsmom View Post
Yes we are already in a public school but there is a growing group of kids that are increasingly disrespectful to teachers and unkind to the other kids including my child who used to love school and now hates it. I'm hoping to find a better learning environment.
I was hoping that wasn't the case, but yes, I can understand.

I hope you find one of these that work out. Don't necessarily rule out the big expensive 3 without talking to them. It's kind of like college in that not everyone pays the "list price".

Location may play a role as well. These places are scattered. Shadyside Academy's high school is actually in Fox Chapel. Winchester Thurston on the other hand is in Shadyside. Heh. Sewickley Academy is actually in Sewickley though. (Might be Edgeworth next door, not sure where the line is, but close enough.)

Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM

Found this, recent article in Pittsburgh Magazine, might be helpful:

Our Schools 2014 - Pittsburgh Magazine - February 2014 - Pittsburgh, PA

Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks for this! Our least desirable (albeit potentially necessary) option is to move out of the city to another school district.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM

You don't need to move. There are other options now that we know you live in Pittsburgh already.

You can pay to send your child to a different public school district. That would definitely be under $10,000. It's very possible. My friend paid for his daughter to attend CAPA even though they lived in the suburbs. Call nearby school districts and ask if they accept students from neighboring districts and how much the tuition would be. They charge what their cost per pupil is.

Look into the charter schools. The city has some great ones. Pay attention to the grades for admittance. There are some the student needs to enroll in for 9th or 10th grade because they won't accept new students in the later grades. I found out about City High way too late. It has a great college prep program. Location of charters are irrelevant too. As a resident of Pennsylvania, you can send your child to any charter school in Pennsylvania. Guess what? It's free. Your school district has to pay for whatever charter school you enroll your child. But as I said, please don't do cyber charters. Bad socialization is better than no socialization.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Here is a link to City High. If interested, pay attention to what's required for acceptance and meet the deadlines.

City Charter High School - Pittsburgh, PA

Again, this would be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh