Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 54,309 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Just looking for a little advice on how to handle this situation I am going to be finding myself in shortly.

Our two apartment house has been on sale since November. After January the listing switched to a Multi-Listing. So we have no idea how many people are out there trying to sell our place. Their is a lock box on our front door (visible from the street) and a big sign in the yard. We have been averaging 3-4 showings a week. The realtors have been good about giving notice 12-24hrs. in advance, with a few exceptions.

The house is in bad shape and only one person made an offer so far and they low balled it because they want to tear the place down and redo from the foundation up over the next 5 years.

We are about to inform our property management company that we do not wish to renew our lease. Our lease says that the management company "may show the property to prospective tenants from 9am-8pm" but makes no mention of notice. Are they required to provide a reasonable notice more than just a knock on the door?

I am going to speak with them tomorrow and see if they want to be reasonable and we can work something out so neither side is inconvenienced. However I am prepping for the worse, and can easily see how this can get out of control.

A few examples, we have had people come in off the street trying to look at the property. Last night (sunday) at 5:30pm we had a guy come inside our entrance way. He hit the upstairs doorbell, then yelled something before trying the door knob to enter our apartment. I thought someone was trying to break in and came out yelling baseball bat in hand. Last month I caught a women walking around the outside of the house and looking in through the windows, she was about to look in the bedroom window (gf was still in bed) when I chased her off saying I was calling the cops.

How much worse can it get and what can I do to help keep us from living paranoid that a stranger is going to show up at anytime?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: We don't move out until July, but the lease says they can show the place starting immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
There's nothing you can do about random strangers wandering around.

I don't know anything about notice to access property since it was always written into my leases in a more acceptable way than your lease. I found this, and it says there are no statutes pertaining to it for Pennsylvania. Since it's stated in the lease the way it is without providing specified notice, I suspect you're going to have endure whatever notice they choose to give you. I'd hope they would prefer to call ahead since it's in their best interest to make it less of a hassle for the buyers. Just in case, I'd plan on having bathrobes readily available for answering the door, then leave them stand outside until you're dressed.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's nothing you can do about random strangers wandering around.
I'm pretty sure the cops would come if there were random strangers looking in your windows without notice or knocking. That seems like an actual crime.

Last edited by Moby Hick; 03-24-2014 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: added "or knocking" to clarify.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,423 times
Definitely try talking to them. Like Hopes said, it's in their interest for there to be some kind of notice required (even if it's just a "next day" type thing). If they're hostile to that, then it's not in your interest to be particularly tidy around the house or welcoming.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm pretty sure the cops would come if there were random strangers looking in your windows without notice or knocking. That seems like an actual crime.
Of course, but he can't prevent people from doing it.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Of course, but he can't prevent people from doing it.
The landlord probably can't stop that either. Some people just need the cops called on them.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The landlord probably can't stop that either. Some people just need the cops called on them.
Of course the landlord can't stop it. The cops can't stop it either. Unfortunately, people look in windows when properties are for sale. The privacy is already violated by the time the cops arrive. I recommend curtains. Definitely call the police when it happens, but still protect your privacy by anticipating it will continue to happen.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM

Cops are not particularly responsive in this neighborhood. While technically inside the city and in Pittsburgh's "next up and coming" borough, it's not as nice as every article says.

Main realtor will not move the location of the lock box and said their is nothing he can and will do. Told me to post a sign saying showings by appointment only. However that violates my lease and I can't give the property management any violations over the next few months. Their yelp reviews are bad especially if you trace them back to their previous name. Nexus real estate and Trends Select Realty.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Control your sex drive and make sure you're dressed from 9am to 8pm. That's really all you can do. You might not be able to put a sign that says "appointment only," but you can put a sign that says "please knock!"

Realtors are used to tenants giving them a hard time because most tenants don't want to move. They'll do anything to make it difficult for realtors to show a property. Homeowners are motivated because they want to sell their property.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 PM

Lease says explicitly the tenant will not post any signs that will be visible to either visitors or the public outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: