Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 07:18 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times

Advertisements

I dont know if my house is "grand" or not, but its a big old brick Pittsburgh foursquare with a walk up attic. Heat, range, and hot water run me about the same as Hopes, about 1k a year. My house has it's original plaster, but had the blown-in style insualation put down from the eaves at some point....not the best method, as I assume it has since settled, and probably has some voids, but better than nothing.

Please keep in mind that I naturally "run hot" so I keep my winter thermostat around 65 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:18 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not sure it's uninsulated. But the house clearly still has its original walls intact, and given it's age I'm presuming the plaster was directly applied to the brick with no gap. Could be wrong about the latter.

As to the attic roof, it may be insulated. We asked the seller's agent, who asked the sellers (who lived there for 24 years) and they said they thought it was insulated, but weren't sure.
Surely the plaster would have been on lath, not directly on the brick? I know a friend's house in Lawrenceville was like that, there was a space between the lath and the outside brick.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
For my gas usage, I should clarify that I have a frame house that's over 100 years old and insulated.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
I'm not sure it's uninsulated. But the house clearly still has its original walls intact, and given it's age I'm presuming the plaster was directly applied to the brick with no gap. Could be wrong about the latter.

As to the attic roof, it may be insulated. We asked the seller's agent, who asked the sellers (who lived there for 24 years) and they said they thought it was insulated, but weren't sure.

Knocking on the walls would tell you if the plaster is applied directly to the exterior walls.

Buyers should really should be more concerned about the things they can't see, than they should be about the purely cosmetic stuff. The cosmetic stuff is easy to change, be concerned about the bones of the house, and the mechanicals.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
4BR with finished third floor that may have had some insulation by prior owners with new insulated windows. We ran max $300 a month during polar vortex. Roughly 1400 for this past year. But I would recommend getting their usage either from them or the gas company. That gives a better idea of what the upper range would be, especially if you can get your hands on the past 12 months.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since it still has plaster walls, the previous owners probably did the blow-in insulation. Call the gas company for the usage history. You can easily find out the exact amount of money it takes to heat that house by calling the gas company, and it will give you an idea if it's insulated or not.

I highly doubt the plaster was applied directly to the exterior brick without there being space behind the plaster.
The house was built only 13-16 years later than our current house, which assuredly did have plaster directly on brick walls. I know because I stripped the plaster off the first floor fireplace, along with the attic walls, Lathe was only used for the plaster on the interior wood-frame walls.

Of course, our current house was built for a working-class family, and that house was built for gentry. Maybe this was the crucial difference.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I dont know if my house is "grand" or not, but its a big old brick Pittsburgh foursquare with a walk up attic. Heat, range, and hot water run me about the same as Hopes, about 1k a year. My house has it's original plaster, but had the blown-in style insualation put down from the eaves at some point....not the best method, as I assume it has since settled, and probably has some voids, but better than nothing.

Please keep in mind that I naturally "run hot" so I keep my winter thermostat around 65 degrees.
That blown in insulation is doing a good job if your gas bill is similar to mine. We keep the thermostat at 70.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The house was built only 13-16 years later than our current house, which assuredly did have plaster directly on brick walls. I know because I stripped the plaster off the first floor fireplace, along with the attic walls, Lathe was only used for the plaster on the interior wood-frame walls.

Of course, our current house was built for a working-class family, and that house was built for gentry. Maybe this was the crucial difference.
How is the electrical wiring run to the exterior walls if there isn't a space? Do you only have electricity on the interior walls? The fireplace and the attic probably doesn't have electrical outlets, but do your other exterior walls have electricity?

You might be able to resolve all of this by calling the gas company. If the gas bills aren't astronomical, you won't need to worry about how the walls are made and if they are insulated.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 AM

I just realized I'm paying $1,200 a year instead of 1k. My budget amount is near $100/month. Personally, I'd be fine with $1,500 a year in gas. $1,800 tops. Those would be a budget amount of $125 and $150. Paying more than that would make me hesitate for my size house. Then again, I must not have my priorities in place since I pay more to Comcast and Verizon per month. LOL

Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
How is the electrical wiring run to the exterior walls if there isn't a space? Do you only have electricity on the interior walls? The fireplace and the attic probably doesn't have electrical outlets, but do your other exterior walls have electricity?
If you're talking about our current house, all the outlets on exterior walls were placed on the baseboards, and the light switches were only on the inside walls.

I have to say I didn't notice if there were any outlets on outside walls in the new house. Looking over the pictures, I can't see any, except in the kitchen along one wall, and the kitchen was redone within the last five years. We have the inspection a week from tomorrow, so I'll know more then.

Quote:
You might be able to resolve all of this by calling the gas company. If the gas bills aren't astronomical, you won't need to worry about how the walls are made and if they are insulated.
I may just do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh