Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 AM

22 posts, read 42,421 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I will be graduating college in May with a degree in Communications/Marketing and I along with my boyfriend would like to move. My boyfriend is a former US Marine. We come from a very populated area where people are rude and very pretentious so we are looking to move to an area where people are more laid back, friendlier, and down to earth like we are. I am 25 and he is 26 so we would like to be in a city area where there are fun things to do. We enjoy bars, concerts, theater, sports, comedy clubs, live music, museums, dancing, and some outdoor activities such a camping or kayaking. We also really enjoy traveling. So my question is , do you think Pittsburgh will fit what we are looking for?

How are the jobs?
How much is rent for a one bedroom or two bedroom?
Are there lots of places within walking distance?
Is there good public transportation?
What are some good neighborhoods to live?
What are people like?
What type of culture?
How is the nightlife and entertainment?

Please be honest and feel free to add any additional information! I know its a lot of questions but I figured who better to help me than all of you here. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:43 AM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
Important info: how do you feel about buying a house? Renting here long term in one of the core neighborhoods is expensive (because of all the universities and teaching hospitals, there's a lot more pressure on the rental market than on owner occupied), owning can be much much more cost effective if it suits you.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:41 AM

Maybe in a year or so but we would have to be there some time first. Get to know the neighborhoods, establish jobs, and know some people. We would have to see if we like it first lol

Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
I recommend you avoid the East End. Yes it is where some of the most exciting stuff in the city is going on, but you will also pay through the nose to live there. I would recommend you find a cheaper area at first, and put up with the hassle of not being able to walk out your front door and experience the East End. The hundreds of dollars (maybe even up to $1000) a month you can save on rent will allow you to experience much more of what the city has to offer. As long as you don't end up in some far flung suburb that is 45 mins out you can easily enjoy the activities you want and not be apartment poor.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:43 PM

so what are some good neighborhoods not in the east end? and how much would you say the rent is there? Also, are there any you can recommend in the East End, if we did decide to move there?

Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh