Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:18 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times

Advertisements

I'm about to move to Pittsburgh for about a year and a half (work-related). I have been to the city a couple of times, so I know the basic lay of the land, but am completely oblivious to everyday life. I will be initially staying in the CMU area with my cousin and his wife but will eventually look for an apartment of my own. Here's where it gets tricky, because of the following factors:

- I will be traveling to Michigan every other weekend or so and would need easy highway access without having to fight city traffic
- My office is located in Green Tree and I would be going there at least a few times a month
- The rest of the time I will be visiting clients as far away as State College

The colleague who is currently in the position I will be taking over has told me about North Hills as a potential place of residence, but, again, this is where my lack of familiarity with neighborhoods kicks in. Ideally I would like to find something in the same price range I pay in Detroit Metro right now ($850 a month). A studio or a 1-bedroom would do just fine, as long as they take cats. It would be nice to have at least some basic amenities within walking distance (a gym - I'm a member of L.A. Fitness but can switch in a pinch, grocery stores, etc), but that's not a major requirement. Would be nice to find a relatively new building, as well, as my current house was built in 1924 and has all kinds of fun creatures crawling around it.

Any other tips on living in Pittsburgh would also be helpful - and of course I'm going to read the other threads here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
In terms of location, I'd say somewhere in the West End would work the best. Green Tree will be a quick ride on surface roads from anywhere in this area, and you'll have quick access to both 376 and 79.

In terms of semi-walkable areas in that general zone, I'd suggest Carnegie. It's not trendy by any means, but it has a walkable business district with a few essentials.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 PM

45 posts, read 140,349 times
What about Robinson, Crafton, Carnegie, Bridgeville, or Moon? Close to Greentree, right off of I-79 and the Parkway West (I-376), close to LA Fitness. Crafton, Carnegie, and Bridgeville are walkable neighborhoods.

"Relatively new" is going to be challenging to find here. I will say, old construction does not necessarily mean substandard living. My house was built in 1931 and while we get a spider here and there there's otherwise no unwelcome intruders. I cannot say the same about the apartment I lived in in DC that was built in the 1970s.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajive711 View Post
"Relatively new" is going to be challenging to find here. I will say, old construction does not necessarily mean substandard living. My house was built in 1931 and while we get a spider here and there there's otherwise no unwelcome intruders. I cannot say the same about the apartment I lived in in DC that was built in the 1970s.
I'll second this. When I lived in Northern Virginia in a 1970s-era apartment I had a bi-monthly encounter with a massive "fishing spider" or two. One of them jumped out of a shower curtain at me, causing me to fall and nearly hit my head on my vanity. My next complex just a mile-and-a-half away or so was also 1970s-era and was infested with mice. I now live in a late-1800s rowhouse (ok, "tenement"), and we very rarely encounter anything besides stink bugs, which are a problem everywhere. Just because a place is "newer" doesn't mean it won't still be loaded with creepy-crawlies.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
That's good to hear. I get spiders, ear wigs and, worst of all, centipedes. Yeah, I know they eat the ear wigs, but they are effin' disgusting.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'll second this. When I lived in Northern Virginia in a 1970s-era apartment I had a bi-monthly encounter with a massive "fishing spider" or two. One of them jumped out of a shower curtain at me, causing me to fall and nearly hit my head on my vanity.
Holy crap. That would be enough for me to move out. Yes, I'm a dude (sexist stereotypes, hello!) and no, I don't care about how much of a b*** this makes me sound like. Those things creep me out. Stink bugs I can deal with (I can't even smell them) - having lived in Charlottesville, we had them all over the place. Spiders and centipedes - not so much.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
What about Robinson, Crafton, Carnegie, Bridgeville, or Moon? Close to Greentree, right off of I-79 and the Parkway West (I-376), close to LA Fitness. Crafton, Carnegie, and Bridgeville are walkable neighborhoods.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have some time to look around since I'll probably be crashing with the semi-in-laws until September or so, but I'll definitely use the time to check out these neighborhoods.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM

45 posts, read 140,349 times
Ewww---a centipede free life is a must! :-) We have stink bugs here like anywhere else, but my cats enjoy hunting them.

I never heard of "fishing spiders" until I lived in DC...and I never realized cockroches could be the size of a computer mouse!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 PM

146 posts, read 216,088 times
In terms of commuting, which would you prioritize: the ease of getting out of town on your drives to Michigan, or the ease of getting to Green Tree a few times a month? I ask because the easiest route out of Pittsburgh toward Michigan might be via 279, not 376. (That's how I go, anyway, when I drive to Detroit a few times a year.)

Old 04-09-2014, 06:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Cranberry. It's right where the major highways converge to everywhere you want to go.

Since you're only going into Greentree a few days per month, your housing shouldn't be selected according to Greentree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh