Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 PM

75 posts, read 93,572 times

Advertisements

For the runners out there -- what are your favorite local 5K's? I'm considering my summer race calendar and want to pick three, maybe four races this summer. I'd love some recommendations.

In my experience, a race can be great for various reasons: interesting course, especially challenging, super-fast, embodies the characteristics of its host neighborhood, good finish line festivities, etc.

Here are some I've enjoyed:

Riverview Park 5K: usually a Friday evening in mid-June. Winds through one of the more underappreciated city parks. Evening race time means cooler temps. The first mile winds around the observatory and back, the second heads downhill, and the third mile is straight uphill. Brutal, but rewarding.

Run Around the Square (Regent Square): I love the idea of this race -- about two miles on Regent Square streets, and a mile on trails through Frick Park. I love the after-race party with free beer. However, I think it's entirely too crowded, especially when a street-wide pack of runners funnels onto the park trails, and I don't love running on brick streets. Late August.

Brentwood Firecracker: great Fourth of July race. Rolling hills on Brownsville Road -- deceptively tough course. Great spectators (though unfortunately a fair number of smokers among them), lots of spirit. Great after-party, again with the free beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:20 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Not a runner, but I gotta rep my new 'hood:

Brookline Breeze

Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Seems nice enough, but I'd like to see an elevation chart before I sign-up.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Brookline Breeze is rough, but a good time...a decent amount of community support and a really decent finish line set up and I think it is only like $15...this year the Blvd will be newly paved and the reconstruction will be complete so it should be a great time.

A nice touch of this race is that as you stand at the start line, you can see the funeral home at the top of the first hill...very appropriate given the topography of Brookline....

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Total Elevation Gain of the Brookline Breeze is 324ft.

Here is a link that shows the entire elevation chart

Brookline breeze 5k wahoo! in Pittsburgh, PA | MapMyWalk

Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Total Elevation Gain of the Brookline Breeze is 324ft.
If I'm understanding these charts right, that's more gain than the entire half marathon.

2012 Pittsburgh Half Marathon in Pittsburgh, PA | MapMyRun

Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM

Total gain for the entire PGH marathon is only 8 feet....but that is due to the large downhill portion along Liberty Avenue....

It’s a tough start for a 5k, but you do get to enjoy it downhill at the finish...

Old 04-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Total gain for the entire PGH marathon is only 8 feet....but that is due to the large downhill portion along Liberty Avenue....
The total gain for the marathon is 613 feet. Obviously, you go down almost exactly as much as you go up. The finish line and starting line are basically in the same place.

Pittsburgh Marathon 2012 in Pittsburgh, PA | MapMyRun

Old 04-09-2014, 08:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
I agree with you on the Regent Square and Brentwood races, I've never done the Riverpark 5K. All of the Citiparks races are good and that would include the Greenfield Glide, Brookline Breeze and the Great Race. Also check out the races associated with the Steelers and Pirates on the North Shore. I've run the Gatorade-Steelers 5K.

If you are willing to travel, here are some picks that I have run:

Mt. Summit Challenge April 27th, 2014 Uniontown Fayette Striders, Mt. Summit Challenge This is definitely a unique race since it is almost completely uphill, total elevation gain is 1,200 feet.

Whiskey Rebellion 5K, Canonsburg https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/Canons...llion5KRunWalk If you don't run the Brentwood race on the 4th of July, than this is the one to do. It is also a pre-parade race.

John Woodruff 5K, Connellsville - Woodruff Race 2014 run on a Wed. night in July with as many as 700-800 runners and walkers.

Penn State Arts Festival races, State College - Art's Festival Races held on Penn State campus during the Arts Festival. You can go for the races and spend the day.

Charleroi Little Great Race, 9/12/2014 - Charleroi - 28th Annual Charleroi Federal Little Great Race: Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 8:15 am Fast course, good turnout, pleny of food after the race.

Run Shadyside 5K, 10/11/2014 - Shadyside - RUNSHADYSIDE | 2013 Shadyside 5K Never ran this race for some reason but it's in Pgh and I would expect it to be a good course. They had almost a thousand runners last year.

Here are some links to local races:

Race Schedule | Elite Runners Race Management Event Schedule | Elite Runners & Walkers

The Runner's High

iPlayOutside - Your Appalachian Destination for Outdoor Sports

Miles of Smiles Timing Services Homepage

Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The total gain for the marathon is 613 feet. Obviously, you go down almost exactly as much as you go up. The finish line and starting line are basically in the same place.

Pittsburgh Marathon 2012 in Pittsburgh, PA | MapMyRun
Conflicting evidence....so who knows...

Pittsburgh Marathon photo - Greg Maclin photos at pbase.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh