Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:12 AM

146 posts, read 300,346 times

Advertisements

I am in consideration for a job at Chatham University, so I've been nosing around on these forums for the last couple of days, trying to get a sense of Pittsburgh as a place to live.

Does anyone here work/study at Chatham U? If so, where do you live, and how is your commute?

My preferences would be:

- Near good schools (I have two children, ages 10 and 7).
- Budget around $350,000, but ideally less.
- I'd prefer a more 'in town' neighbourhood, rather than being way out in the suburbs. (I recognize that many of the best schools are in the suburbs, so may have to compromise on that -- if I did, though, it'd be nice to be in a community that had some sort of culture or center to it, rather than a load of disconnected McMansions...). I like a good public library, as well as a few good dining/coffee options.
- Within a 20-minute commute would be ideal, and if public transit is an option, so much the better.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
You want Squirrel Hill, the neighborhood that starts just south of the Chatham Campus. Shadyside, basically north of campus, is nice but going to be more expensive and there will be fewer kids.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
would private school be an option? If not, some options would be mt lebanon, upper st clair, fox chapel, ben avon, ben avon heights.

But all in all, north of forbes areas like point breeze, sq hill, shadyside would all be good if you can figure out the schooling.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I would just do Greenfield, which is pretty much "Squirrel Hill for people who can't afford Squirrel Hill" and is located just south of Squirrel Hill. The public schools are fine. Save a lot on your $350,000 maximum housing budget and use the extra as a nice savings safety cushion or to fully fund college for your children.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
I know a handful of Chatham professors who live in Highland Park and East Liberty. A lot of them bike and/or walk to work.

Last edited by selltheburgh; 06-13-2014 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: second sentence added.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I would just do Greenfield, which is pretty much "Squirrel Hill for people who can't afford Squirrel Hill" and is located just south of Squirrel Hill. The public schools are fine. Save a lot on your $350,000 maximum housing budget and use the extra as a nice savings safety cushion or to fully fund college for your children.
If he stays at Chatham, his kid(s) will be able to go there for free if they want.

OP, like others have said, I'd look at Squirrel Hill. It's got a nice business district with a good selection of restaurants/shops. Plus, it's right next to Shadyside, which has even more options.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 AM

146 posts, read 300,346 times
Found this nice piece about Greenfield...

10 things to love about Greenfield | Yinzpiration.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
Personally, if your budget goes up to $350k I would purchase a home in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside that feeds into the Colfax K-8 public school. The boundary lines to this school don't make a whole lot of sense, as the folks with more financial means and influence have rigged things a bit, but this is the best of the city public elementary schools (non charter).

However, the money you save living in a neighborhood that feeds into a school with less of a reputation should be able to fund a private school education if you so choose.

Another decent area with an easy commute via drive or bus is Regent Square, which is a combination of the city, Edgewood (Woodland Hills SD) and Wilkinsburg. School are not considered good though.

This assumes that you are working at the Pittsburgh Chatham campus, and not the suburban campus.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Personally, if your budget goes up to $350k I would purchase a home in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside that feeds into the Colfax K-8 public school.
3+ bedroom house, under 350k in shadyside is not going to happen.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
I agree Colfax feeder makes the most sense. This is basically all of Shadyside, Squirrel Hill north of the Parkway, and Point Breeze up to Dallas avenue. I would not go with Greenfield at that price point. No houses cost that much in Greenfield, and frankly most of what you find there is pretty dated.

Shadyside tends to be the most expensive area on a per square foot basis. There are no houses at your price point in Shadyside right now, only a few condos and a few townhouses. Most houses "North of Forbes" will be out of your price range, but some do come up. You'll have the most luck looking for houses "South of Forbes" and in Point Breeze. Here are some examples you could afford in the area:

If you're willing to buy a semi-attached (e.g., duplex) or fully-attached (rowhouse) home you will pay a good deal less in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
3+ bedroom house, under 350k in shadyside is not going to happen.
They do come up occasionally, particularly right by the railroad tracks. It's admittedly very hard to get into the neighborhood at that price range though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh