Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,202 times

Advertisements

There's a car parked on a gravel area that's partly on my property, though possibly also partly on city right-of-way. I don't know the precise limits. (It's in the Marshall-Shadeland / Brighton Heights border area--a street with no sidewalk, no curb, no demarcated shoulder, and a lot of empty lots.)

I've owned the property for a few years, but am only getting it (and the side yards) surveyed now. The surveyors are due on Tuesday. The mystery car needs to be gone so the surveyors can do their thing.

I left a note yesterday, along the lines of "if this isn't abandoned, please move it, thanks"). The car's only been there a couple of days, but doesn't belong to the neighbors across the street (the closest neighbors), and nobody has ever parked there before, except me, occasionally, or people doing work on the house.

Problem is, the spot is sort of a gray area. It's not a "driveway." There's no curb, so no curb cut. The city puts down gravel at a similar spot a few properties up the hill, and people park there, sometimes. I guess it's remotely possible that someone was just very confused. But mine has planting beds with flowers, a house number, stairs, railing, and a house. Should pretty obvious it's not city property! But I still don't want to make pain for a neighbor (even a distant neighbor) by towing a guest's car.

So, anyone know...what are my rights to tow a car that's at least partly on my property? Will the city tow, if it's also partly on their property? Can I ask the police to check if the car has been listed as stolen, but if not, tell them to hold off for 24 hours more, to see if the owner comes and moves it? How long would you wait, to be polite, in case it's someone who is just confused? How far would you knock on doors?

I'm going to check with a few more distant neighbors (100-200 feet away) today, check if the tags are current, and call the license plate in (if there's a way to do that) to check if it's stolen. But, then what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
I know somebody who had this issue.

It was a van that was "stored" on their vacant lot. Tags were expired. Neighbors knew nothing about it. City refused to do anything because it was on private property.

One night some people moved it by physically pivoting it into the street. They called 911 and said that it was blocking a public street in the city. It was tagged and towed within a few hours.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
Can you knock on doors and ask if anyone knows to whom the car belongs?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Start with calling the police. It might be a stolen car that was abandoned there. When my car was stolen, it was found in Garfield. The police didn't find it. They don't look for stolen cars. It was found because someone called and said a strange car had been parked next to their house for a few days. The license plate was run, and we received a call telling us where to find our car.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:00 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
First and foremost, you have to be able to prove that the property is legally yours through deed and survey. You are approaching this problem in a very responsible manner, thus far, and I would continue to do so. Trying to move the car by either having it towed, or by any other "self-help" measure, could create many unforeseen problems for you. My best suggestion would be to leave a note on the vehicle stating that it parked on private property, requesting its immediate removal (but only if you truly own the property and can prove it if asked). I would then post "private property"/ "no trespassing" signs on the property itself. If the car is not moved within a few days, I might try posting "private parking- car will be towed" signage next. I would suspect that the vehicle will be gone within a few days. Patience is the key.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Call the police, let them know you are working on the property and need it moved. They will most likely call the owner or have the owners local police visit them.

That is what happened when one of my work trucks broke down on someones land and the tow truck took forever.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:10 AM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
Is the registration current? We had a car parked in front of our house for about three months. I called the city because I was worried it was stolen, and they wouldn't even take the license plate number since the registration was current. Eventually the person came and towed it away in the middle of the night one evening. Your situation is a little different as ours was completely on public property, but don't be surprised if the city is unhelpful.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I called the city because I was worried it was stolen, and they wouldn't even take the license plate number since the registration was current.
It depends on the neighborhood. A call about a car in Homewood, Garfield, or other neighborhoods were stolen cars are often abandoned by thieves will be treated differently than a call about a car in other areas of the city.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:40 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
I guess this would be a Penn Hills specific question, but maybe someone would know. If someone's put a car up on blocks in front of one's house on the street, tires missing etc, with out of state plates, that doesn't belong to any of the immediate neighbours, is that something that code enforcement is likely to do anything about?

I don't care at all when people park in front of our house, happens all the time, but this car is something else, no idea where it came from. Hopefully no one thinks it belongs to us.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:42 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Abandoned property - sell it for scrap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: