Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be traveling through Pittsburgh next month to and from a vacation, and will hopefully have time in both directions to spend a few hours in your city. We have a museum membership that offers reciprocal admission benefits to both the Carnegie Science Center and the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, so we are interested in seeing those first. So, my questions are as follows:

1) We will be traveling up on a Saturday and back on a Friday. I know that both are likely to be very busy on weekends, but is either museum known to be particularly crowded or more lightly visited on particular days of the week?

2) We have younger children (all 10 & under). If it ends up that we can only visit one of the two, which one would you recommend?

3) Does anyone have practical tips or advice on traffic, parking, etc. in the area?

Both museums look fantastic, and we are certainly looking forward to our visit.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
I dont know if it helps, but my sons field trip to the science museum was only for 4 hours, and that included the movie theater, maybe you could do both in one day. I never went to the childrens museum.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
The Children's Museum is geared toward younger kids so the Science Center is a better option for you. Our kids are 7 and 6 and we used to take them a lot to the Children's museum when they were younger.

Both places have parking.

Just my opinion, I would rather do the Science Center on Friday.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM

248 posts, read 326,225 times
I've been to both but didn't get to see either in their entirety. The children's museum was smaller than the science center and was aimed at a younger crowd. I think I'd probably recommend the science center if your kids are closer to 10 than 2. They'd probably like the submarine there too.

If you get a chance I do think both are worth checking out.

I wouldn't worry about traffic or parking at either. If you go to the Children's museum it may be cheaper to park on the one-way street that circles the museum area than park in their lot.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
If you're at the Children's Museum, you might want to go across the street and check out the National Aviary too.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,949 times
1) I went to the Children's Museum on June 11th (a Friday) and it wasn't too busy. I have been there on a Saturday before and it is really busy. Usually there are birthday parties then. On that same June 11th, we passed by the Science Center and the parking lots looked full. Maybe shoot for a weekday (maybe earlier in the week like a Monday or Tuesday) to visit the museums. You can also try calling them and see what they recommend.

2) Yes, both museums are excellent. We just go to the Children's one now because our kids are under age 5 but the Science Center has some things for younger kids to do. The older kids will really have fun at the Science Center as well as the Children's Museum (the entire top floor is a water play area. A big hit with my kids)

Regarding traffic, both museums are located in the city's North Side. This area has many events in the summer and can tie up traffic. What area will you be traveling to when you leave the museums?

Welcome to Pittsburgh!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 AM

33 posts, read 96,714 times
Parts of the Children's Museum are definitely geared to younger kids but I think there are things at there that older kids would enjoy, like the Art Studio and the Workshop where you can get creative with all kind of materials. The top floor is a water play area, and you will get wet, so it's best to bring water shoes and a change of clothes! It is fun, however, it is probably not an all-day event.

As far as parking, there are a lot of one-way streets in the area, so it can be a little tricky, but there are signs.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times
Thank you for all of the responses thus far!

We do have some younger kids, too (ages 3 and 5), so it is good to hear that the Children's Museum has some things that the older girls will like, too. I saw that the Science Center has some areas for younger kids, too, so I'm not too worried about boredom at either location.

In response to bmantz65, on the Saturday, we will be heading west on I-376W/US 22W and then US 22W into Ohio. Coming back through on a Friday, we will be heading east on I-376E to I-76E. By what time should we make sure we leave on Friday to avoid the worst of rush hour?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
I would suggest a visit to the zoo. The Science Museum will be a couple of hours, tops.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:27 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I would suggest a visit to the zoo. The Science Museum will be a couple of hours, tops.
They want to go to the Science Center and the Children's Museum since it is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh