Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Oh, let's just round up all those old yinzers and, hm, *concentrate* them somewhere, someplace where they don't have to ride the bus and get in the way of the YOUNG PROGRESSIVES.
Yea, Beaver County

Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Oh, let's just round up all those old yinzers and, hm, *concentrate* them somewhere, someplace where they don't have to ride the bus and get in the way of the YOUNG PROGRESSIVES.
How about we stop putting words in people's mouths. Yes, Yinzers have a bad habit of getting in my way. Do I hate them? No.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The Yinzers are never in a rush to do anything and never have anywhere important to go that would require strict adherence to time constraints, hence they dawdle along with driving too slowly in the left lane; fumble to find exact change to feed a PAT bus farebox at rush hour; will hold up people behind them in line at the bank to talk to the teller about their cats (usually while doing something simple an ATM could have done for them in 1/4 the time); bang pots and pans out their windows when the Steelers score touchdowns; poke their noses where they don't belong; etc. Simultaneously, though, THESE are the "nice" people of Pittsburgh---the ones who still hold doors, tip their hats, strike up friendly conversations about the weather in elevators or at gas pumps, will stop to help a stranded motorist, etc.

The "Progressives" are generally younger, educated, liberal, and always busy, busy, busy. We're wired within numerous ever-expanding social networks---networks that often supersede our "real life" networks. We are always rushed, hurried, and stressed tying to keep up with the trends and societal norms---norms that the Yinzers couldn't care less about participating within. We're the ones who feel pressured incessantly to make up for economic value lost during the Great Recession and, of course, get irked when a Yinzer in a Buick crawls through the tunnel, making a food delivery two minutes longer and costing me $2 of my tip, or when a Yinzer scratches their head while trying to figure out why a PAT farebox won't accept their crumpled upside-down $2 bill on BlackBeauty's bus, contributing to her late arrival at an appointment with an important client. The "Progressives", especially Millennial contributors, tend to be more unfriendly, self-centered, jaded, and skeptical of strangers than Yinzers.

I think our city just needs to learn to accept both groups of people. Neither group is dying off. From my days of working at PNC I can safely assure you all that there were numerous Steelers-clad 20-somethings afraid of ATMs "cuz my mama told me they steal money", indicating a fresh wave of Yinzers are in the pipeline. At the same time there are also more "Progressives", especially in trendy East End neighborhoods like Lawrenceville, Shadyside, and Polish Hill, than ever before---usually eating vegan fair trade fro-yo on their way to co-ed nude Bikram yoga on their bikes with their poodles in tow.
This may be your most fair and balanced post I have ever read. A+

Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
How about we stop putting words in people's mouths. Yes, Yinzers have a bad habit of getting in my way. Do I hate them? No.
But what about progressive Yinzers?

Old 08-15-2014, 01:58 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
But what about progressive Yinzers?

LOL... Talk about an Oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
LOL... Talk about an Oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
There are a few of these around---like four-leaf clovers. We have two of them on this sub-forum, and, if I'm not mistaken, they both live in Brookline. I'm drunk on vacation right now and can't remember their names.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:00 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Hmm...what should the cut-off age be? I think anyone over 21.

PS: whoosh.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Alternately, people could read up on the tragedy of the commons and figure that the old folk can manage that there newfangled smurtcard tech once it does them some good. Some cities bake in a free transfer for two hours. There are a lot of things PAT can do without turning this into a(nother) millennial/boomer culture war. All I'm saying is berating doesn't work and waiting for the yinzers to die off is inefficient. What is plan C?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
The Yinzers are never in a rush to do anything and never have anywhere important to go...
You apparently don't know what a yinzer is. Most ALL I know are very hard working folks that also play hard at night. They would run circles around Blackbeauty and most likely yourself. They aren't delivery folks very often, but you will find them in the plumbing, electrical and other physical jobs. They are tough and have a code. Sure there are examples of some lazy ones, but to be honest, I don't know many if any. Most work their tails off. Guess when it comes to Pittsburgh, I have been around here much longer than you and blackbeauty. You folks almost sound like you have never been to Pittsburgh and are inquiring.

It sure is evident that a minority (blackbeauty) and another minority (SCR) love to find a group to label and have a prejudice against. Talk about bigotry! It would be interesting if someone called one of you two a derogatory name of your minority group and see how you feel about it. Sure is an interesting read though. I suspect if someone called either of you such a word, they would be banned. Seems yinzers don't get the same courtesy. That term and be thrown around as much as you two love I guess. Shows your character though. Labeling a group and calling them lazy. Interesting indeed.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

It sure is evident that a minority (blackbeauty) and another minority (SCR) love to find a group to label and have a prejudice against. Talk about bigotry! It would be interesting if someone called one of you two a derogatory name of your minority group and see how you feel about it. Sure is an interesting read though. I suspect if someone called either of you such a word, they would be banned. Seems yinzers don't get the same courtesy. That term and be thrown around as much as you two love I guess. Shows your character though. Labeling a group and calling them lazy. Interesting indeed.

Don't be too hard on them, Curtis. Progressives just don't know any better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh