Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
But your answer is to "JUST KILL IT" with regards to people paying with cash. If you ban cash, then you've just transferred your problem to other people who can't get credit cards or don't want to get credit cards and prefer to do things with cash.

The problem is that the world doesn't revolve around you and your problems, so since you have to live in a society with other people, it's up to you do decide how to best accomplish what you want within the constraints that exist in the world.
Yeah, no kidding. Take the cash option away and I am not riding a bus ever. I don't want some pass. I don't use the bus to justify it. There will ALWAYS be an option for cash. Maybe there are other ways to fix this issue. There are two doors. Maybe some technology could help. Cash in one line and pass in another.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Nominating this thread along with the "stop the train horn" threads for the City-Data Entitlement Hall of Fame.
Apparently you have never been walking or riding a bicycle next to a train and it sounded the stupid horn. It is certainly not good for one's ears and also plain stupid.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:16 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I'm not going to load cash on to some Connect Card when I use the bus relatively infrequently. That's cash I could be using right now for any number of purposes. I do not find utility in purchasing tickets or loading on to a card for a potential future bus ride. People are just going to have to deal with it when I make them late for their important meetings as I'm fumbling in my pockets for dimes and nickels.
I will be alongside Evergrey as we head down for a wee dram in the city via bus. We will both be paying cash or whatever change we have laying around. Enjoy the day. Oh, you might want to leave a bit earlier, so you wouldn't be so annoyed at how others live their lives.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Supposedly PAT is actually considering surcharging people like Evergrey and Hopes an additional .75 over people with CC's at all times not just rush-hour. So hopefully this will keep you in your Car, and off the bus slowing it down because you refuse to adapt to change.
I walk to work 90% of the time. I'm more urban than you bus riders!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
Quote:
I walk to work 90% of the time. I'm more urban than you bus riders!
Well good keep on Walkin' You're too slow for us bus people!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:45 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Supposedly PAT is actually considering surcharging people like Evergrey and Hopes an additional .75 over people with CC's at all times not just rush-hour. So hopefully this will keep you in your Car, and off the bus slowing it down because you refuse to adapt to change.

PAT sure can use the extra Cash.
I hope they do make it more expensive with cash, that would be a good way to encourage waverers to get a CC, and still support occasional one-legged Slovenian visitors who only have cash. And Hopes, etc

Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,326 times
BB's complaints are valid. As a fellow transit rider, I feel BB's pain. What's wrong with the complaints? Certainly there are a ton of complaints about driving car around. There's even a thread about it on the first page of this forum.

Imagine are trying to drive to work going the speed limit and no one is in front of you and then someone pulls out in front of you and you slam on your brakes. They are going 20 MPH under the speed limit and you can't pass them and a line is forming behind you. Finally they make a slow right hand turn and you are free to continue at the speed limit but now you are five minutes late. That's what happens when you are taking the bus and have a ConnectCard and you get behind cash payers. It is slightly worse in Zone 2 land where you have to wait behind $3.75 of cash instead of $2.50.

You can't really do anything to prevent someone from pulling out in front of you like that but PAT can do things to curb/eliminate the cash issue.

Quote:
I'm not going to load cash on to some Connect Card when I use the bus relatively infrequently. That's cash I could be using right now for any number of purposes. I do not find utility in purchasing tickets or loading on to a card for a potential future bus ride. People are just going to have to deal with it when I make them late for their important meetings as I'm fumbling in my pockets for dimes and nickels.

Just curious, do you have a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts card (or a similar store) that you pay for purchases with? All these cards are free and require you to pre-load money on them just like the ConnectCard. Not a strange phenomenon. Heck, ever given someone a gift card to someone as a gift? Just think if they never used the card or lost it, you just threw money away. I don't hear the same complaints.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:56 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
BB's complaints are valid. As a fellow transit rider, I feel BB's pain. What's wrong with the complaints? Certainly there are a ton of complaints about driving car around. There's even a thread about it on the first page of this forum.

Imagine are trying to drive to work going the speed limit and no one is in front of you and then someone pulls out in front of you and you slam on your brakes. They are going 20 MPH under the speed limit and you can't pass them and a line is forming behind you. Finally they make a slow right hand turn and you are free to continue at the speed limit but now you are five minutes late. That's what happens when you are taking the bus and have a ConnectCard and you get behind cash payers. It is slightly worse in Zone 2 land where you have to wait behind $3.75 of cash instead of $2.50.

You can't really do anything to prevent someone from pulling out in front of you like that but PAT can do things to curb/eliminate the cash issue.

Just curious, do you have a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts card (or a similar store) that you pay for purchases with? All these cards are free and require you to pre-load money on them just like the ConnectCard. Not a strange phenomenon. Heck, ever given someone a gift card to someone as a gift? Just think if they never used the card or lost it, you just threw money away. I don't hear the same complaints.
Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts don't take cash? Who knew???

Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, no kidding. Take the cash option away and I am not riding a bus ever. I don't want some pass. I don't use the bus to justify it. There will ALWAYS be an option for cash. Maybe there are other ways to fix this issue. There are two doors. Maybe some technology could help. Cash in one line and pass in another.
As gortonator and others have mentioned, many cities around the world do not take cash on public transportation. I just got back from London where you can no longer use cash on the buses--you have to purchase an Oystercard. The key is that you have to make the card purchasing stations widely available.
So I would not be sure there will ALWAYS be an option for cash. The U.S. is really behind the time overall with these issues.
Incidentally the London transit department estimates that this shift will save them roughly 24 million pounds per year.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
As gortonator and others have mentioned, many cities around the world do not take cash on public transportation. I just got back from London where you can no longer use cash on the buses--you have to purchase an Oystercard. The key is that you have to make the card purchasing stations widely available.
So I would not be sure there will ALWAYS be an option for cash. The U.S. is really behind the time overall with these issues.
Incidentally the London transit department estimates that this shift will save them roughly 24 million pounds per year.
Okay, so like in NYC the Metro Pass. It sort of is a ripoff because when I leave the city I usually have some money left on the Metro and it expires. I guess they will ripoff people at some point, so blackbeauty can leave late for work, if she even works and press everyone to rush for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh