Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times

Advertisements

One of the benefits when paying with cash... is that occasionally the fare collectors are out of order.

I took the bus this morning to avoid the rain... and enjoyed a free ride Downtown!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh, please, you cannot answer that yourself? You do not know what out-of towner means...
Sad.
I wasnt the one asking, now was I?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:34 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Thinking about this some more today. I was a regular bus rider for many, many years. My only source of transportation into my early twenties actually. If this complaint is mostly about time and inconvenience, or getting to the destination late or whatever, then that's a bogus "problem". I have always accepted the bus as a time sucking experience and adjusted MY schedule accordingly. There are too many variables. OP, I'll bet you really blow a gasket when the bus "kneels" for the disabled, or a cyclist mounts his bike to the rack. Guess what, accepting these sorts of things is part of the experience. Take an earlier bus if you're so constrained by your schedule, that's what I used to do. I had no idea there was any sort of etiquette regarding the prepaid cards, but now that I do I understand the whole thing. But to get so bent out of shape over people doing what they have always done is ridiculous. Another person said it better than me, first world problems...

Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM

106 posts, read 212,062 times
I'd like the Authority to install readers at all three doors and use a proof of payement collection method. Boarding with all three doors on the P1s would help improve efficiency. I recall the Muni in San Francisco having a fare system like this.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Thinking about this some more today. I was a regular bus rider for many, many years. My only source of transportation into my early twenties actually. If this complaint is mostly about time and inconvenience, or getting to the destination late or whatever, then that's a bogus "problem". I have always accepted the bus as a time sucking experience and adjusted MY schedule accordingly. There are too many variables. OP, I'll bet you really blow a gasket when the bus "kneels" for the disabled, or a cyclist mounts his bike to the rack. Guess what, accepting these sorts of things is part of the experience. Take an earlier bus if you're so constrained by your schedule, that's what I used to do. I had no idea there was any sort of etiquette regarding the prepaid cards, but now that I do I understand the whole thing. But to get so bent out of shape over people doing what they have always done is ridiculous. Another person said it better than me, first world problems...
Easy to sit here and pass judgments, and lecture people. If you're ever in the same situation you'd sing a different tune..

And get this, Wheelchairs, Elderly, and Bikes take less times to board then someone fumbling for cash and to have the farebox keep spitting out, like snack vending machines, remember those? Yea.

Again what if the Tolls on the PA Turnpike went back to all cash only and you had to wait in massively long traffic lines while people poke around looking for cash, would you "Just Deal with it", then? No you'd B*tch about the inefficiencies of using the Turnpike.

It's very easy to be passive when the issue doesn't effect you directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjost7 View Post
I'd like the Authority to install readers at all three doors and use a proof of payement collection method. Boarding with all three doors on the P1s would help improve efficiency. I recall the Muni in San Francisco having a fare system like this.
It would be nice....But like this thread demonstrated they're happy with the way old things work regardless of how inefficient, again except when it effects their lives directly.

Notice most people who use Transit regularly pretty much agreed with me 100%. And those who never use it, or use very rarely can't seem to fathom what the big deal is. Just proves my point to a "T", again no pun.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:57 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Easy to sit here and pass judgments, and lecture people. If you're ever in the same situation you'd sing a different tune..

And get this, Wheelchairs, Elderly, and Bikes take less times to board then someone fumbling for cash and to have the farebox keep spitting out, like snack vending machines, remember those? Yea.

Again what if the Tolls on the PA Turnpike went back to all cash only and you had to wait in massively long traffic lines while people poke around looking for cash, would you "Just Deal with it", then? No you'd B*tch about the inefficiencies of using the Turnpike.

It's very easy to be passive when the issue doesn't effect you directly.

It would be nice....But like this thread demonstrated they're happy with the way old things work regardless of how inefficient, again except when it effects their lives directly.

Notice most people who use Transit regularly pretty much agreed with me 100%. And those who never use it, or use very rarely can't seem to fathom what the big deal is. Just proves my point to a "T", again no pun.
"Again what if the Tolls on the PA Turnpike went back to all cash only and you had to wait in massively long traffic lines while people poke around looking for cash, would you "Just Deal with it", then? No you'd B*tch about the inefficiencies of using the Turnpike."

"Easy to sit here and pass judgments, and lecture people."

Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:

Actually it demonstrates that some people have more patience ,and are more willing to accept that not everyone does things their way, than others.

I still get in line and pay cash for toll roads. I don't use them often enough to warrant getting the easypass thingy. I don't mind that I pay a bit more and I don't mind having to wait in line to get my ticket or pay. I also don't mind if people in front of me pay cash to board the buss while I have my Pitt ID.

Life is just too short to waste energy getting angry over such things. If I am going to get angry and hold onto that anger, it will be over something that actually matters.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Uh, there is no way in hell I've ever taken as long to put cash in the box as it does to wait for the bus to lower, let the wheelchair board, and raise again. I think you may have a warped sense of time, that's a real thing. Some people's perception of time is off, maybe you should look into that.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Here is a thought. The world doesn't revolve around you. Leave earlier because there are ALWAYS people that will pay cash, have a bike to put on the rack and maybe have a handicap, so the bus will lower. Who do you think you are thinking people should all have a bus pass, not have a bike and not be handicapped. Get up earlier and plan for other variables because there are others in Pittsburgh besides yourself. Goodness, talk about a self centered topic! It amazes me that you also don't learn from the countless posts showing you your faulty ways. LEAVE EARLIER!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 AM

106 posts, read 212,062 times
I share a similar frustration with the OP. But I am not annoyed with the people--those individuals--paying with cash but rather with the inefficiency of the boarding/alighting process on the P1s in general.

Sure we could all allow more travel time. We all could also enjoy a quicker, more efficient system. We know it is possible becasue we have enjoyed other transit systems with offboard collection or proof of payment/board all doors systems in other cities.

I would bet this will eventually come to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh