Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:09 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

wide roads are actually less safe than narrow ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
So is the city planning to plow these new protected bike lanes, or will they plow the streets INTO the bike lanes, thereby making it impossible to bike? I have a feeling we're in for another doozy of a winter like the last one with more "Polar Vortexes" on the way!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times
Indy is pretty nice and definitely on the upswing economically. Decent economy, low costs of living, short train ride to Chicago for long weekends, etc. are all nice to have.

On the other hand, Pitt has natural beauty and an improving economy as well.

Both are good athletic towns. Both have relatively stable, moderate politics. I guess it comes down to how much you like hills and mountains.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM

252 posts, read 348,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So is the city planning to plow these new protected bike lanes, or will they plow the streets INTO the bike lanes, thereby making it impossible to bike? I have a feeling we're in for another doozy of a winter like the last one with more "Polar Vortexes" on the way!
I think they will be, but I can't find anything to verify this.... I know that the jail trail gets somewhat plowed during the winter, so it seems reasonable to assume that at least the downtown lanes will get plowed.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Years ago when I was running a lot Mayor Murphy plowed the jail trial.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:48 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The hills aren't going anywhere.
Considering that 2.2% of Pittsburghers commute via bike (assuming steindle's statement is correct), that means about .5% were commuting in 2000, FWIW. With a number like that, it's not hard to get huge increases. I'd probably pick Pittsburgh over Indy, however. But the OP might have to give up on this idea of biking 100% of the time. None of the figures above indicate if the commuting is daily, weekly, monthly, or what.
whatever you say

Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
wide roads are actually less safe than narrow ones
Yeah, I bike-commuted in Nashville -- land of the four-lane city street -- for about a month and got hit by cars twice. People treat the roads like highways there and are so unaccustomed to seeing cyclists that they literally don't look out for them, or have any idea what to do when they do see them. There is a token bike lane on Shelby Street in East Nashville that I would most often see being used as like an HOV lane for compact cars.

I don't think that people who say that Pittsburgh is terrible for biking really have a good grip on what an actual bad biking city looks like.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I don't think that people who say that Pittsburgh is terrible for biking really have a good grip on what an actual bad biking city looks like.
The same goes for transit. As many problems as PAT has, it's still pretty good by American standards, especially among our peer cities.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Is there a significant difference in the winter weather between the two cities? One of the reasons I chose Pittsburgh was that it had relatively mild weather compared to other rust belt cities. Extreme winters compared to SF where I was from, but milder than say, Buffalo.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Yeah, I bike-commuted in Nashville -- land of the four-lane city street -- for about a month and got hit by cars twice. People treat the roads like highways there and are so unaccustomed to seeing cyclists that they literally don't look out for them, or have any idea what to do when they do see them. There is a token bike lane on Shelby Street in East Nashville that I would most often see being used as like an HOV lane for compact cars.

We generally compare Pittsburgh to other educated blue state cities, not cities in the south. Those areas are not going to want bicycling on roads and are really horrible. Much more of a selfish feel in places like Nashville, Houston, Dallas, Orlando and the like. Really not very livable places down that way with all the redneck kind of stuff and the chest pounding. YEEEHAW! No, we have it great compared to the backwards cities like Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh