Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 12:56 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
From the PG article: "Nonetheless, U.S. Steel has agreed to pay half of the property taxes -- estimated at roughly $3 million -- all of which will help fund development in other portions of the Hill District, according to the company. "
that's only a small piece of it, it is also reported that they got other types of tax breaks from the city and the state. Who knows what it nets out to be, but I doubt they are paying the 3 mil just for the hell of it... it's for optics to make it look a little better for the city and Penguins, I would bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 12:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I'll agree with you here. The Strip may have been a better choice, from a "campus" standpoint.
The Strip District could pose more of a problem with land acquisition- are there parcels owned by people ready to sell that are large enough for this project in the strip?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:00 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
that's only a small piece of it, it is also reported that they got other types of tax breaks from the city and the state. Who knows what it nets out to be, but I doubt they are paying the 3 mil just for the hell of it... it's for optics to make it look a little better for the city and Penguins, I would bet.
They could have chosen to not pay it, and have the all tax breaks.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
They could have chosen to not pay it, and have the all tax breaks.
nope - quid pro quo. it was baked into the deal.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:37 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Ah yes, millions of dollars in tax payer money and massive tax breaks to build some junky building while our infrastructure rots. Just a friendly reminder that corporate welfare is far more important than the needs of the people in this country. Disgusting.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
What an ugly building that could have been a great jewel in the Lower Hill. I'd almost rather see it remain parking.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Does anyone like PNC Firstside? It is downtown, only 4 stories, has a huge footprint, has a few mildly entertaining details in its design, and there is a park across from it.

Also, look at the changes that occurred from the original Tower at PNC design to what is actually going up today...

Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
PNC Firstside is another terrible waste of space.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Does anyone like PNC Firstside? It is downtown, only 4 stories, has a huge footprint, has a few mildly entertaining details in its design, and there is a park across from it.

Also, look at the changes that occurred from the original Tower at PNC design to what is actually going up today...
I love PNC Firstside especially since it was the largest green building before the completion of the David L Lawrence Center. PNC along with BNY Mellon grew our downtown by constructing operations centers in the downtown area in the early 2000s The areas that these two buildings replaced were underutilized waste lands.

I doubt that the current render will resemble the final product. I am excited about this development. The five story structure will create a street wall along Centre Ave. The infrastructure improvements alone will greatly enhance that desolate area of town. The site can accommodate larger towers if needed. I am pleased with US Steels decision to stay in the downtown area.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Looks like 5 stories or so in the news conference. Blech. A prime piece of land for a short, squat building like that. Could have been a jewel.
My thoughts, too! From the world's largest corporation that built Pittsburgh's tallest office tower...to unveiling a HQ fit for Dunder Mifflin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh