Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Crafton is about 6 miles from the Strip District.

Crafton is not a good choice at all. Look at the OP's budget. Live in Allegheny West, the Strip or downtown. Use Point State Park for your park and the trails are all over the place for running. You can run up to Millvale, around the city and down to Point State Park via trail. You can run over the the South Side. On top of all this, you don't need your motorcycle for work, you can walk to work and not deal with parking. Forget about Crafton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:38 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
how urban/suburban do you like your neighborhood to feel? there are a lot of places that would work very well in your budget and can have very different vibes. Are you more into dense somewhat gritty feeling places? family friendly areas with a residential feel? parking requirements?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:57 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
It doesn't need to be family friendly. I have one car and a motorcycle. I'd like a house instead of a condo or apartment. I don't really want to deal with a big yard, though. If I could at garage the bike that would be ideal. I used to like dense and gritty but now I don't care about that as much. Maybe dense but not gritty, if that exists. I lived in a nicer part of San Francisco (Cole Valley) for a long time, and often wish I hadn't moved.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
with that budget, working in the strip, wanting to be close to a park id go to central northside.
id look right in this area

if you want less expensive house to reno you can find those there as well, if you want something much cheaper maybe up the river in millvale.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:46 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
central northside/mexican war streets could be a good fit for you. lawrenceville could work also. Both have mostly dense feels, but depending on exact location wont be too gritty.

if you want a little more space and still near a park id suggest highland park. you can get a pretty decent place with a small yard and a garage for right around your price point. There are not a lot of them on the market but they do come up.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:37 PM

268 posts, read 385,505 times
millvale is gritty, so i wouldn't move here if that is something you don't want.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlove View Post
millvale is gritty, so i wouldn't move here if that is something you don't want.
I am hearing more and more about Millvale from young folks getting priced out of Lawrenceville. It might not be gritty for that much longer. There are so few homes for sale. I have been looking around there, but about nothing on the market. I would love some big building down there to make into a bunch of cool apartments. If anyone knows of anything PM me.

Anyway, Allegheny West/Mexican War Streets are good choices. Lawrenceville is another one.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
What about Stanton Heights? There seem to be a lot of cheap houses up there. I used to live on top of a hill in San Francisco and there was nothing to do up there, but it was cool. Are the hills a nightmare in the winter because of icy streets?

Last edited by rzzzz; 11-28-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 10:59 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
I have always loved stanton heights. Highland park is also a nice area. Wherever you live, the city wont clear your roads. It is always a benifit to live on a hill in pgh, you can slide down it to work.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
I love it up here in Stanton Heights, but there really is nothing to do up here. I mean, there are so many things happening about 3 minutes down the hill in either direction, but up here it's like someone dropped a Leave It To Beaver suburb right into the middle of the city. It's a friendly, quiet (VERY), working class/middle class neighborhood surrounded on all sides but much hipper, younger, wealthier neighborhoods.

Stanton Ave. itself is a snow emergency route and it gets cleared pretty well. Stanton Heights is the home of a lot of city workers and first responders, so we don't get completely ignored in the winter. The issue is that some of the streets up here are too narrow to send a big plow down (people park on the street on both sides) so we have to wait until they send a little pick-up truck with a plow attachment. Though last year a guy down the street got a plow attachment for his ATV and kindly plowed our block.

If you get a fixer upper up here, don't expect to be able to fix it up and sell it for $$$$$ a couple years down the road. This isn't that kind of neighborhood. It will never be hip or in-demand because there's no businesses and the houses tend to be small and 1950's era (and not the cool "MidMod" sort of 50s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh