Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
They may have not been wood-burning to begin with - they might have had gas stoves, one place I lived in had them. Only heat in the bedrooms!
Mine seem to all be former wood burning fps with gas ignitors. There are still ashes in the one in my bedroom. I'd have to install new gas lines and install gas logs. From what the pros tell me, this would be considerably less expensive than making them function as wood burning fps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
I have four that are also nonfunctioning and likely had gas heaters installed. They're on the shallow end of things (12 inches deep or so). Goodjules, are you looking at nonvented gas logs? I want open gas logs but from what I understand, the vented gas logs require that a fireplace be fit to burn wood.
I believe they were non-vented, but honestly, it's been a while since I looked into it. I have other things I'd like to do before I get to the fireplaces. All my fireplaces look like they were originally wood burning.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Mine seem to all be former wood burning fps with gas ignitors. There are still ashes in the one in my bedroom. I'd have to install new gas lines and install gas logs. From what the pros tell me, this would be considerably less expensive than making them function as wood burning fps.
Yes, for sure. The chimneys for gas fireplaces weren't lined for wood-burning (not that *that* stopped people from using them!). It has been a long time since I knew anyone who had any fireplace work done, though.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Yes, for sure. The chimneys for gas fireplaces weren't lined for wood-burning (not that *that* stopped people from using them!). It has been a long time since I knew anyone who had any fireplace work done, though.
When I moved in I talked to my contractor about what was involved. Lots of work to restore them and bring them up to today's codes. Gas logs were a much less expensive option. I would love to have a "fire" going in the living room fireplace in the evenings, especially during the holidays. maybe next year...

Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
First thing I did after we got our house was have gas logs installed (was a wood-burning fireplace). Best investment I ever made and we love using them for cozy winter nights like this.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
First thing I did after we got our house was have gas logs installed (was a wood-burning fireplace). Best investment I ever made and we love using them for cozy winter nights like this.
Did you have to install gas lines as well? Did you buy your logs at a big box store or at a specialty store? Who did you use to do the installation? Glad to hear that it worked well for you. Maybe I will do it sooner rather than later.

My existing gas lines are 100+ years old and can't be used. My contractor said that even with the cost of installing new gas lines, it would still be way cheaper than making them functioning word burning fireplaces. Plus gas is easier to use and better for the air than burning wood.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:47 PM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Did you have to install gas lines as well? Did you buy your logs at a big box store or at a specialty store? Who did you use to do the installation? Glad to hear that it worked well for you. Maybe I will do it sooner rather than later.

My existing gas lines are 100+ years old and can't be used. My contractor said that even with the cost of installing new gas lines, it would still be way cheaper than making them functioning word burning fireplaces. Plus gas is easier to use and better for the air than burning wood.
I have been told the same thing. I was looking at $400 for the gas line, and vent free logs aren't that expensive. What gives me pause is that those logs burn from the air in your living room and exhaust into the room. There are humidity issues as well. From what I've been told, converting to wood burning with a stainless steel liner is at least a $3k commitment, even if just to run vented gas logs. I'll be curious to hear how you make out with this.

I'm on the fence, but for a little ambiance and something that is not on all the time, ventless might be the best option.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
I have been told the same thing. I was looking at $400 for the gas line, and vent free logs aren't that expensive. What gives me pause is that those logs burn from the air in your living room and exhaust into the room. There are humidity issues as well. From what I've been told, converting to wood burning with a stainless steel liner is at least a $3k commitment, even if just to run vented gas logs. I'll be curious to hear how you make out with this.

I'm on the fence, but for a little ambiance and something that is not on all the time, ventless might be the best option.
Exactly what I was told about retrofitting my chimneys as well. $3k was a starting point. If the chimney itself needed serious work, then who knows how much it would cost.

I wouldn't be using the fireplaces as the main heat source, just for ambiance. So I think it would be fine. I may just get an estimate if it's as reasonable for the gas lines as you say. I understand that the price will vary depending on the particulars of my house.

Really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Goodjules,

My fireplace is located right over the furnace, so all they had to do was cut a hole in the floor from the basement and run a line from the furnace to the fireplace. I had this done 16 years ago and I don't remember where I got them, but it wasn't a big-box store. I think my plumber installed them, since plumbers are qualified on gas lines. It didn't take very long, but yours may be more complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh