Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM

101 posts, read 190,722 times

Advertisements

It is family tradition from when I was a kid to start the night with hot chocolate, drive around and look at Christmas lights, then get ice cream before heading home. I do this with my kids too. Last year, we did it but it wasn't the greatest because we had no idea where to go.

I know of at least one big Christmas display in the area, the Baker Family Christmas Extravaganza north of Cranberry but are there any other displays that are worthy to go see. Possible neighborhoods with several decent displays too would be great.

FYI, we have already gone to the Clinton Lights over in Clinton. Oglebay is too far to drive and Overly's Christmas farm is nice but according to their website, the fairgrounds are very saturated and not looking for a muddy Christmas adventure tonight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 04:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Having trouble finding your Hartwood Acre fix?

Did your parents literally take you to a big display or just drive around and look at houses decorated with lights?

This article provides directions to a five-mile stretch of houses in Hampton that are well decorated for Christmas:

Best Neighborhoods To See Christmas Lights « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 12-22-2013, 04:47 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
Ingram always seems to have a number of homes with some pretty amazing displays, including a few right along Ingram Ave.

Thornburg also seems to have quite a few nice displays.

This is a tradition for our family as well.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Did your parents literally take you to a big display or just drive around and look at houses decorated with lights?

This article provides directions to a five-mile stretch of houses in Hampton that are well decorated for Christmas:

I grew up in North Carolina and Kansas..so nope, no Hartwood Acre fix!

Thanks for this link!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Hartwood Acres had a great holiday light display until the county cut funding for it last year.

Enjoy your family drive!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:

We did a little of both. In North Carolina, we had Heritage USA (no longer in existence but it was ran by Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker before he "fell from grace." They would have the whole place lit up and it was gorgeous. We would do that one night and then another night we would drive through the "rich" neighborhoods and look at lights.

In Kansas, we lived in the middle of nowhere in western Kansas, so we would drive to the nearest "big town" and eat dinner out and then drive around the wealthier neighborhoods.

When my husband and I lived in Northern Virginia, there was a website dedicated to the massive Christmas light displays (both classic and the more tacky ones with every blow up available) i.e. the kind on the new show "Great Christmas Light Fight." We would plug in our address and how far we wanted to drive from our house and it would plan a "tour of 10/15 houses" which would be about a 2 hour loop.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Hartwood Acres had a great holiday light display until the county cut funding for it last year.

Enjoy your family drive!
I know! I keep seeing mention of it everywhere when I do a search online! DARN IT!

We did the Clinton Christmas Light Drive through a couple weeks ago and it was nice but we were hoping for more (took 10 minutes tops to drive through it!)

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Several years ago, most of the houses on Eileen Dr. in Ross off of Connie had elaborate Christmas decorations. Although I don't know if it is still the case that the people over that way are still going all out.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 AM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
A week ago last Friday, we drove down to Oglebay WV. We miss the Festival of Lights at Hartwood. The Oglebay commercial claims one hour from Pittsburgh and that's fairly accurate. The only thing that held us up was residual evening rush hour traffic headed out of the city.

As far as what to see in the city, Edgwood and Regent Square are decorated up very nice this year.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
A week ago last Friday, we drove down to Oglebay WV. We miss the Festival of Lights at Hartwood. The Oglebay commercial claims one hour from Pittsburgh and that's fairly accurate. The only thing that held us up was residual evening rush hour traffic headed out of the city.

As far as what to see in the city, Edgwood and Regent Square are decorated up very nice this year.
My family has always done Oglebay. For me personally, all of the sitting in the traffic waiting to get in make it unbearable. That's just me though--people love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh