Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:18 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times

Advertisements

I have NEVER met anyone who said they were from New Homestead. I took a drive out there (I'm getting too lazy - the forecast for wet weather kept me home instead of hunting).

I could not believe how.....sparse it is. How quiet. The homes (Niceville Street) are so modest but nicely maintained.

There is a small house for sale there. If I was in the right spot financially, I'd consider buying it.

The place is so isolated, though. I like convenience to bus routes. But then again....no sirens, no a-hole people yelling. The house next to the one for sale had a trampoline - kids. Probably nice people.

Thoughts on New Homestead? Any experience living there?

Lincoln Place, although not as sparse, has a terrific housing stock in a suburban setting. It too, is pretty car dependent, but I guess there are commercial amenities nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 02:29 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
New Homestead is really a couple different neighborhoods.

1. A few streets off of Doerville, which are basically a rural extension of Hays.

2. The area you went through, which is a rural-ish extension off of West Homestead.

3. The most houses are in the Gates Manor/Homeridge Terrace area, which is mostly mid-20th century suburbia - basically an extension of nearby areas of Munhall, but it happens to be in the city. They've even been building McMansions down there in the last 10-15 years. I'm not sure who wants a McMansion there, but they must be selling. Perhaps not coincidentally, this is the only part of the city which voted for Romney in 2012.

You and I must have very different definitions of "terrific housing stock." Lincoln Place makes my eyes want to throw up. My mother-in-law's family is from there, and I can't think of a single house I've seen I'd call attractive. Something like this would be passable if you undid the remuddling I guess.

Last edited by eschaton; 12-01-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 02:40 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,961 times
That weird southeastern appendage to the city (Hays, New Homestead, Lincoln Place) is easily my least favorite part of Pittsburgh.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
A lot of police officers live out in Lincoln Place, it certainly has some convenient aspects to it. Folks working in McKeesport or Homestead, or at the Bettis facility could find it convenient to work. The Pittsburgh schools size up pretty well compared to many of the school districts in that corner of the county, especially as they are in the Allderdice feeder plan.

Its midway between the two nexuses of shopping in the Waterfront and out at Century 3. Its also served by direct public transportation to Pittsburgh, Homestead and McKeesport.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

2. The area you went through, which is a rural-ish extension off of West Homestead.

You and I must have very different definitions of "terrific housing stock." Lincoln Place makes my eyes want to throw up. My mother-in-law's family is from there, and I can't think of a single house I've seen I'd call attractive.
No, the area I went through is part of the City of Pittsburgh. Try google.com/maps, and type "City of Pittsburgh" and you will get the border limits.

I've been looking at zillow.com for 2 years, and know there are some very nice streets in Lincoln Place. Here are a few suggestions: Goldenrod Street, Lougean Avenue, Diller Avenue, Ollie + Ewell, Mifflinridge Road, etc.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That weird southeastern appendage to the city (Hays, New Homestead, Lincoln Place) is easily my least favorite part of Pittsburgh.
Why is that? I don't like Hays, but I suppose people there DO like it, and have a sense of pride in what is more or less a secluded hamlet of homes.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Why is that? I don't like Hays, but I suppose people there DO like it, and have a sense of pride in what is more or less a secluded hamlet of homes.
Beacuse its the antithesis of Hipsterville...

Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Beacuse its the antithesis of Hipsterville...
Exactly.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Exactly.
That's an answer? Do I need to point out your hypocrisy? If those were largely black areas, you would not attach the stigma I THINK you are. (I humbly admit I may be jumping to conclusions).

Old 12-02-2014, 05:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
That's an answer? Do I need to point out your hypocrisy? If those were largely black areas, you would not attach the stigma I THINK you are. (I humbly admit I may be jumping to conclusions).
My guess is that EG dislikes those areas because they are sprawly, and lack energy. In other words, very suburbanish. I doubt race has much to do with his opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh