Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:46 PM

23 posts, read 20,026 times

Advertisements

Bloomfield/Friendship is top ranking. In order to best get a sense of this area, are there any hotels where my friends and I can stay nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 03:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1102 View Post
Bloomfield/Friendship is top ranking. In order to best get a sense of this area, are there any hotels where my friends and I can stay nearby?
Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside is right there on Liberty and Centre.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:08 PM

I_like_spam I just booked two nights for MLK weekend. Thanks so much! I really look forward to visiting your city.

This is going to sound dumb but is making friends easy? I'm from New York so clearly I have no clue how to make friends.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM

57 posts, read 105,451 times
if you want to be a short drive, easy bus, and or be able to walk to everything I recommend Friendship as close to East Liberty as you can find, not Bloomfield, although Bloomfield is the next neighborhood over from friendship. I live in Friendship on the East Liberty border and can walk (even though I have a car) to a billion bars and restaurants. There are multiple hotels in the area including the ACE which opens in 2015 and a trader Joes, Aldi's, Target, a whole foods and 2 Giant Eagle grocery stores, 2 Liquor stores (welcome to PA). Gyms, coffee shops and lot's to do. Highland park is just a mile or so away as is the PGH Zoo and you will be about 4 miles from downtown, easy access by bus or driving. If you can afford 1500 to 2000 a month in rent a trillion new apartments are coming online here. You can however find cheaper, but that's the new east end rent for the luxury apartments that are spouting up like weeds. Do a Google search for Google. We have a Google office here and it's all happing in a mile or 2 radius around Google.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:10 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
I did see a post on the internets that mentioned Friendship as a place that young twenty-somethings should move to. Any more information on the area? I also heard good things about Bloomfield.
Friendship is great. It's very much an old streetcar suburb, similar to what I imagine a lot of neighborhoods in Queens are like. The business district it shares with Garfield (which is a sketchier neighborhood in spots) along Penn Avenue is currently under a cluster**** of a reconstruction project, but there are great businesses there (one of the best pizza/hoagie shops in town, several galleries, a coffee shop, music venues, etc.). Plus it's a relatively short walk to Bloomfield (which has one of the best business districts in the city), Shadyside (which is a yuppie hellhole if you ask me, but it does have a lot going on), and East Liberty (which has a couple grocery stores and more utilitarian stuff, along with some good bars). And it has some of the most comprehensive bus service of anywhere in Pittsburgh.

A general word of advice; most of the best apartment deals in Pittsburg are 1st or 2nd floor units in old subdivided houses, or whole rowhouses. The best bet for a valuable rental deal is to partner up with somebody on a two bedroom place. Stay away from apartment complexes from larger management firms.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
I agree that an apartment in a divided up old home is your best bang for your buck. You can find some that are done very nice for much cheaper than a comparable newer construction unit.

figure 750-1000 for a 1 bedroom place or 1000-1500 for a 2 bedroom in one of these places to be typical. Just keep an eye out because really good deals come available, but they tend to go very quick when they do.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Default Freindly here?

Quote:
I_like_spam I just booked two nights for MLK weekend. Thanks so much! I really look forward to visiting your city.

This is going to sound dumb but is making friends easy? I'm from New York so clearly I have no clue how to make friends.

If you're friendly yes, this city is overly friendly. Good people who go out of their way to help each other.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
A general word of advice; most of the best apartment deals in Pittsburg are 1st or 2nd floor units in old subdivided houses, or whole rowhouses. The best bet for a valuable rental deal is to partner up with somebody on a two bedroom place. Stay away from apartment complexes from larger management firms.
My family owns and currently lives in a row house divided into a three family home and it would be great to live in a style like that just so that my transition isn't so startling. I would HATE to live in an apartment complex. I'm moving to Pittsburgh to try and stray away from the Williamsburg/LIC multimillion dollar daddy warbucks apartments. But I do know they are an unavoidable part of urban life.

I made a reservation for the Courtyard on Liberty Ave. I'm going to take into account what everyone has posted and the opinions of my friends when making my decision.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO VERY, VERY MUCH!

Old 12-14-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
My family owns and currently lives in a row house divided into a three family home and it would be great to live in a style like that just so that my transition isn't so startling. I would HATE to live in an apartment complex. I'm moving to Pittsburgh to try and stray away from the Williamsburg/LIC multimillion dollar daddy warbucks apartments. But I do know they are an unavoidable part of urban life.

I made a reservation for the Courtyard on Liberty Ave. I'm going to take into account what everyone has posted and the opinions of my friends when making my decision.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO VERY, VERY MUCH!
IMHO Highland park has some of the nicer of those types of buildings.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:

Some people say it is hard to find friends here because everyone tends to keep to their circle of friends, even though we are outwardly nice to everyone (although some will cite examples of how we are not).

What are you interests outside of work? It usually helps to find a group that is interested in a particular thing and you have an immediate group of people with a common interest. I can only provide insight into running groups in the area, but most runs end with beers at a bar so it is great chance to socialize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh