Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
They will buy the run down homes, tear them down, and create new mixed use centers or build new homes on the lots. Happens all the time in the south.
If you believe the majority of the Lower Hill is vacant or run down, you must never, ever drive there. I posted some links. Look around on Google if you want. Within the boundaries of Crawford Roberts itself, the Hill District is about 80% reconstructed now, and the main undeveloped chunks down closer to Uptown are being filled in as we speak.

Edit: I must admit that my normal route for driving through the Hill (say, on the way to South Side) is from Herron to Centre to Kirkpatrick. If you travel this way, indeed all you see is blight. But if you actually get into the lower third of the neighborhood (not just even Crawford Square) you'll see it's getting to be in pretty fine shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 01:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you believe the majority of the Lower Hill is vacant or run down, you must never, ever drive there. I posted some links. Look around on Google if you want. Within the boundaries of Crawford Roberts itself, the Hill District is about 80% reconstructed now, and the main undeveloped chunks down closer to Uptown are being filled in as we speak.

Edit: I must admit that my normal route for driving through the Hill (say, on the way to South Side) is from Herron to Centre to Kirkpatrick. If you travel this way, indeed all you see is blight. But if you actually get into the lower third of the neighborhood (not just even Crawford Square) you'll see it's getting to be in pretty fine shape.
I belong to the YMCA on Centre and drive there from downtown. I drive past the parking lots and Consol, then Crawford, then a couple of blocks of retail with the YMCA at the end of the retail area. Not upscale, but not horrible blight either. It has a long way to go but from what I hear, it's a lot better now than a few years ago.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:27 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I belong to the YMCA on Centre and drive there from downtown. I drive past the parking lots and Consol, then Crawford, then a couple of blocks of retail with the YMCA at the end of the retail area. Not upscale, but not horrible blight either. It has a long way to go but from what I hear, it's a lot better now than a few years ago.
There is an affluent section of the Hill that overlooks the Strip District. It is in the area where the incline used to be. There are larger townhomes, very large single family homes and a new condo building completed in the past year. The views are amazing. Once the business district infill raps up, The Hill will be completely redeveloped from Kirkpatrick to Crawford Street. With the Mellon Arena site added to the mix, the Hill will be a vibrant place to call home.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
They need to develop that area super high end. It has a view of the city up there, for goodness sake. Who cares about what anyone says other than the OWNER!?! They should do what they please so long as it is zoned correctly.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:05 PM

664 posts, read 807,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hence, what we would have historically called "urban renewal" remains actually a very popular thing in most black communities - provided the residents aren't displaced. The majority of Hill District residents might be quite ducky with the leveling of virtually anything historic remaining in the area, and the replacement of modern construction detached single-family housing and townhouses. It brings Hampton Township to them, rather than having to move to Hampton Township.
Unfortunately, we seem to have a new generation of urban planners who think this is a new and innovative idea.

However, it's been tried -- and proven to be a failure.

How soon we forget the East Mall apartment building on Penn Avenue that East Liberty, built in the '60s, and finally razed just a few years ago, after having become a symbol of urban decay.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:30 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
There is an affluent section of the Hill that overlooks the Strip District. It is in the area where the incline used to be. There are larger townhomes, very large single family homes and a new condo building completed in the past year. The views are amazing.
I wish there were a way to go between that area and the Strip quickly on foot. Bring back the incline, maybe

Old 01-15-2015, 02:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I wish there were a way to go between that area and the Strip quickly on foot. Bring back the incline, maybe
I just don't see the traffic to justify such a huge expenditure.

But, I don't think the city should stand in the way if a private company wants to build the conveyance with its own funds.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I just don't see the traffic to justify such a huge expenditure.

But, I don't think the city should stand in the way if a private company wants to build the conveyance with its own funds.
No you're right, my post was meant to be mostly tongue in cheek. More like, "it'd be cool if this just appeared there magically, but realistically it'll never happen."

Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 PM

105 posts, read 181,750 times
There should be no such thing as housing projects, subsidized housing, Section 8, HUD, etc. This is not a fair or wise use of my tax dollars. If the few remaining hard working citizens want to build new housing for their non-working neighbors, when they themselves can't afford something better, out of their own pockets, God bless them. Until then, you are responsible for your own housing.

This is a prime location and it should not be given over to project dwellers, most of whom do not work, do not pay taxes, do not volunteer for the betterment of the community and who contribute nothing to society.

Decisions on development should rest 100% with the property owner, with the appropriate tax, regulatory and zoning systems making certain that said development is within existing law.

I would never-NEVER-even speak with these "community groups". Their entitlement mentality is sickening.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:44 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick538 View Post

I would never-NEVER-even speak with these "community groups". Their entitlement mentality is sickening.
Even if you were looking for their support, and your career as a politician was in the balance?

A man's got to do what a man's got to do, in order to provide for his family.

I'd never condemn anyone for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh