Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

17 posts, read 23,600 times

Advertisements

Hi looking to move to cranberry PA from Long Island Ny. Family of 8 , 6 children . Any info on homes, schools neighborhood. We are looking for a nice development, community with lots of kids. We are 6 hours away , need help!!! Tia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Also any info on hospitals, healthcare

Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Lots of options for housing in Cranberry and new construction going up most all the time. You're 25 minutes to the city. If you decide on Cranberry you'll be in Seneca Valley school district. Mars, which is close to Cranberry will put you in Mars School District. UPMC Cranberry medical center is smack dab in the middle of the areas. Very easy and quick access to North/South/East/West via highways/interstates.

You really need to spend a day or 2 driving around to see what you like as far as housing. If you don't have that option you're really gonna need to get in contact with a real estate agent.

I moved to Cranberry 15+ years ago and haven't looked back.

I just received a rep comment with a derogatory remark about Cranberry. If you do a search of past threads, there is a ton of negative feedback of Cranberry, however, being 1 mile south, across the Butler County Line into Allegheny Co. towards the city, is perfectly acceptable to many. I would pay zero attention to the negative feedback as it comes from many who have obviously never left the city.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-29-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 12:33 PM

373 posts, read 378,214 times
I was born and raised in Cranberry and while a lot of the negative feedback you'll hear about is understandable on some level, Cranberry is one of the best implementations of the 'sprawling auto suburb' that I've ever encountered. If that is your cup of tea, and it was mine for a very long time, you should be very happy there. Good schools, very kid friendly, parks, activities, low low low crime, pretty much any chain store or restaurant you want in Cranberry or very close by.

I think the older neighborhoods have a lot more character and they're mostly the cheaper ones, but I don't know how many homes you'll find in them that would be suitable for 6 children. Most of the new construction is very pricey in my opinion but they tend to have more bedrooms on average and maybe that's within your budget coming from Long Island.

If you are looking for a real estate agent, I can offer you the name of the one I have used a few times over the years. She is wonderful and works HARD however you want her to. Feel free to PM me any questions about Cranberry or the surrounding area. I lived there for 28 years. And I'm 29

Old 12-29-2014, 12:49 PM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesssix View Post
Hi looking to move to cranberry PA from Long Island Ny. Family of 8 , 6 children . Any info on homes, schools neighborhood. We are looking for a nice development, community with lots of kids. We are 6 hours away , need help!!! Tia
I'm borrowing this from the Philly forum, but answering these questions will get you better feedback. (you have already provided some of this info)

When are you moving?
Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working?
Have you been here yet?

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in the burbs, city, type of neighborhood, etc?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Bus or rail stations?

How concerned are you about taxes?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 PM

Wow thank you both so much for responding back to me with helpful information. This is such a big move for us. My oldest child is 16, then I have a 14 year old, 11, 8, 3 and 2year old. Schools and neighborhood is very important . I would love to contact a real estate agent and spen a few days there to see if we like it. Thank you both again so much. proFiction I will Pm you!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 PM

Thank you ! I will repost!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:37 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Where are you working? We moved in 2012 from Long Island to Pittsburgh and our kids have thrived. We came about 4 times and viewed 4 different schools as we wanted to move for the schools (our old school would have been Longwood). We looked at Quaker, Fox Chapel, Hampton and finally lucked out with South Fayette. OUr kids have friends that live in Wexford and they like it there also. We also have friends that live in Mars and they like it also.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
With that many younguns, you're going to want to move into a larger house.

A lot of large homes out in Marshall Township and Franklin Park in the highly rated North Allegheny School District.

But really, the question is where you're going to be working at around here. If your jobs are going to be in the South , Upper St. Clair, North Fayette, South Fayette are all good choices, with USC a tad pricier than the others.

If your gig is to the east of Pittsburgh, North Huntington and Murrysville are good choices.

If you'll be working in town, its easier for an auto commute from the north- if you are going for a transit commute its better from the south.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:02 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
your area for work is absolutely critical if you care about commute times at all. Do you know where you will be working exactly?

Cranberry is just fine and dandy for someone that likes newer planned development type areas. There are lots of options and if you want some city life, its only a half hour drive.

if you want closer to the city, there are LOTS of options with good schools and family oriented neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh