Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 PM

14 posts, read 42,345 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and my 3yo and 1 yo will be moving to Pittsburgh this summer. We are tring to figure out where we should live. My husband will be working for the UPMC. We are looking for a short commute for him (about 5-10mins) and most importantly a safe neighborhood where my children can play. an ideal place would be safe, close to resturants, grocery stores, playgrounds and library, a townhouse or a house. Any ideas where I should start looking? any places to avoid? Any one know a good preschool? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:32 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Where will he be working for UPMC???? at a Hospital, Downtown corporate, an Oakland Campus?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 PM

297 posts, read 505,221 times
If you're talking about UPMC hospital in oakland, then you can look around Carnegie Mellon Univ. for some nice houses there. Squirrel Hill is nice and has a library. Some parts of Shadyside are nice, but some of it is full of yuppies and not really family friendly. Point Breeze, Churchill, Regent Square, Forest Hills, etc. are all close to Oakland and good for families. You will most likely have to pay for private schooling though, so consider that cost.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:14 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,851 times
Hmmm, you aren't giving us much to go on. UPMC is VERY large and its presence is EVERYWHERE in Pittsburgh.

"Safe neighborhood where my children can play"...hmmm, with the information you're providing thus far, I'd recommend the Regent Square/Frick Park area. Frick Park has a very nice playground. Or the Squirrel Hill area, which is in very close proximity to Schenley Park, which also has a very nice playground/swimming pool/ice skating rink (during winter months of course), etc...you can also try the Highland Park area, too. That area also is in very close promixity to a city park (Highland Park), which also has a playground (they just re-did), swimming pool, pond, reservoir (where people go to do a great deal of walking..1 time around is approxmitely 1 mile).

I'm out of the loop when it comes to pre-schools (my daughter is a junior in high school), but I'm sure you will be able to find decent ones in those areas I mentioned.

Keep in mind these are all CITY OF PITTSBURGH neighborhoods. They're not 5-10 minutes, as you originally requested, more like approx. 20 minutes to downtown (if that's where he's working) if he drives. They're not suburban neighborhoods. He'll have a longer commute if you guys want to go surburban.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 24,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower1160 View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband and my 3yo and 1 yo will be moving to Pittsburgh this summer. We are tring to figure out where we should live. My husband will be working for the UPMC. We are looking for a short commute for him (about 5-10mins) and most importantly a safe neighborhood where my children can play. an ideal place would be safe, close to resturants, grocery stores, playgrounds and library, a townhouse or a house. Any ideas where I should start looking? any places to avoid? Any one know a good preschool? Thanks
Crime is a problem in direct proportion to your proximity Homewood and the Hill. Just look at a map and you can see where not to live. Oakland iand East Liberty are very bad. Shady Side and Point Breeze are not all that safe. Squirrel Hill is the ideal neighborhood, but it does have some crime issues, too. North of Shady Ave and South of Forbes is no sweat, however. Regent Square is also good and nice little community, but more working class. It's also outside the city limits and the city payroll tax zone, which is a big plus.

But if you want want to find the real safe, fuzzy feel for your kids' safety, you best look outside the city and endure with the commute.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:34 PM

69 posts, read 97,612 times
Forest hills is very nice I think... Like to know what the op found?

Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
The OP has not been around in over four years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh