Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,437 times

Advertisements

Where do you suggest a college graduate find housing in Pittsburgh? Ours has a job on the North Shore lined up after graduation. We prefer something located in a safe area and reasonably priced. Will be living alone. I know this is the next step in helping your kids transition into the real world, but I admit to having a bit of anxiety about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
If the youngun is used to suburban living, the suburbs to the north provide a lot less expensive situation as far as rent than a city of Pittsburgh domicile would provide. An apartment at Chateau Perry in Ross, where my octogenarian uncle used to live, is $800 a month for a 1 bed/ 1 1/2 bath apartment. There are others too, that's the market rate.

Living on the north side costs more, and they have to pay a lot more in wage tax as well. Further, they might not want to live on the north side, which is still a transitional area.

Easy enough commute from the near north hills through I 279. Also not a bad drive in from Bellevue down the Ohio a piece, and a very safe, "towny" kind of suburb.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:06 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Easy enough commute from the near north hills through I 279. Also not a bad drive in from Bellevue down the Ohio a piece, and a very safe, "towny" kind of suburb.
I'd say Bellvue/Avalon area would be the quicker commute actually & housing is cheaper there too - (point of reference - I made an ill considered dating choice for awhile with someone that lived there & found the lack of traffic during the morning rush on 65 into town surprisingly very light when I made the iller advised choice to stay over.)

Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'd say Bellvue/Avalon area would be the quicker commute actually & housing is cheaper there too - (point of reference - I made an ill considered dating choice for awhile with someone that lived there & found the lack of traffic during the morning rush on 65 into town surprisingly very light when I made the iller advised choice to stay over.)
Never date someone geographically challenged, never works. Or anyone that lives across a bridge n'at.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post
Where do you suggest a college graduate find housing in Pittsburgh? Ours has a job on the North Shore lined up after graduation. We prefer something located in a safe area and reasonably priced. Will be living alone. I know this is the next step in helping your kids transition into the real world, but I admit to having a bit of anxiety about it!
Wow, things have changed over the last decade plus I guess. I remember picking out my own apartments during college, never mind after college.

How much experience does your child (son? daughter?) have with cities in general? Did they go to school in Pittsburgh or another city?

I see several apartments on Craigslist which were listed for between $625 and $700 per month on the corner of Tripoli Street and Middle Street just a month ago. If I were working on the North Shore, that wouldn't be a bad place to live, given you could walk right to work.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Wow, things have changed over the last decade plus I guess. I remember picking out my own apartments during college, never mind after college.
I have a friend who has a successful tech company.

A college senior applicant came to a job interview with a parent and he wasn't special needs or anything.

While it would have been nice if my parents were a bit more helpful during my teenage years, I attribute a lot my successes to being a totally independent risk taker and failing a few times along the way.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Parents today usually only have 1 child, or maybe 2 at the max.

Gives them a lot more time to be involved, than it was back in the day dealing with the lives of 4 or 5 little minors.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:

Gives them a lot more time to be involved, than it was back in the day dealing with the lives of 4 or 5 little minors.
My parents only had two children.

OP, what is your budget? I assume you are paying the rent? Otherwise, what is your child's budget?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
My parents only had two children.

OP, what is your budget? I assume you are paying the rent? Otherwise, what is your child's budget?
My parents only had one kid and I did all my own house-hunting and rental-finding. They both worked full time my entire childhood and young adulthood, so they really didn't have a lot of extra time to do these things for me.

Anyway, OP is hard to answer without knowing the budget (definition of "reasonably priced").

Old 03-04-2015, 06:43 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
Quote:
Someone better tell this to people in my neighborhood... 3 or 4 kids is very common.

As others have asked, what is the budget? Are you footing the bill or will the child be paying? Will the kid have a car or be relying on public transportation?

What are your child's preferences? What legwork have they done on this subject already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh