Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
agenda 21 shifts job growth to the city center so that the dying towns outside the city (mckeesport, new kensington, etc.) can be restored back to nature
It's weird that we are actually living in a dystopian future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:43 AM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Some of us don't want to put 30,000 miles per year on ancient cars that will die every two years and want to buy a new car that will last 5-6+ years.
You can spend around $4k for a car and with regular maintenance get that car to last at least 5 years. It wont' look like a new car, and if that's what you're going for then you have to accept the fact that it costs money for vanity, but that's a choice you can make.

Buying a brand new car to use as a delivery vehicle is probably the most unsound financial decision that someone can make.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Some of us don't want to put 30,000 miles per year on ancient cars that will die every two years and want to buy a new car that will last 5-6+ years.

You should have kept your Mazda 3! I'm on my third, put 150K and 135K on my previous two. My new-used with 40K on it is a drop in the bucket. And I drive hard miles.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:09 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
I used to drive a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid but now drive a 2013 Honda Fit after the transmission in the hybrid died at just over 60,000 miles---not to mention that the hybrid battery was also about to die (I bought a lemon). Due to the hilly topography here; the stop-and-go nature of the traffic; the non-synchronized traffic signals; etc. I typically only net in the low-20 range for miles per gallon. I do indeed drive nearly 30,000 miles per year with my current job, with about 2/3 of that being work-related (hence bringing my tax liability down annually from mega-thousands to only a few thousand). The other 1/3 would be attributed mostly to seeing my parents near Scranton a few times per year; visiting my partner's family near Lancaster at least once per year; driving to Erie roughly six times per year for distance running day-trips at Presque Isle; etc. Day-to-day we drive to Bloomfield weekly for laundry and coffee. We drive to East Liberty or the Lower North Side for groceries weekly or bi-weekly. We walk to the Strip District for a lot of things. Realistically if I didn't have my delivery job we could be a sans car household, as my partner's office is walking distance away.

As far as maintenance is concerned I go through a full set of tires annually (~$600 parts and labor); I go through about five oil changes per year (~$60/each); a new set of rear brakes and front brakes annually ($300 each); and then there are things like cabin air filter replacement, fluid flushes, etc. that bring the total maintenance cost to around $2,000/year combined for everything. I seem to go through headlights like crazy, too, because I drive with them on constantly so another SUV driver doesn't hit me "cuz she didn't see me".

As someone who grew up in a car-centric suburban environment I truly wouldn't wish that upon anyone long-term. I'm on my lunch break now and was able to just walk across the street to the neighborhood deli for a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich and a Gatorade. Love the convenience of urban living!
The Goodyear downtown has really cheap oil change prices. If you aren't running synthetic it might be 20 bucks. They have email coupons and specials all the time.

From memory, the Fit has a very weird tire size so you might be out of luck but I got a great deal on tires at this place WL Roenick in Natrona Heights. Saved about 400 bucks. Might be worth a call.

Also, back in the day I belonged to this group. Ran a couple of their races.

West Virginia Mountain Trail Runners

Old 03-02-2015, 11:43 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
I seriously can't think of a worse vehicle for deliveries than a hybrid. Get a crown vic, throw some weight in the trunk and get some snow tires. That thing will churn on through the apocalypse (or the next time a distracted yoga enthusiast plows into you with her SUV).

Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Overrated? Who rates it high?? It's horrible. Traffic is bad, parking is bad and expensive, public transportation is bad. I loved it when I worked near Cranberry. No traffic, free parking, plus I could get in my car at lunch and go to the park, go shopping, eat at any number of places, etc.
I have worked in the 'burbs and DT and I much prefer working in or near DT Pittsburgh. I have zero interest in working in Cranberry, Warrendale, Monroeville, Wexford, the airport west/Moon office parks, Cannonsburg, etc.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:46 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Depending on who I'm working with I work both downtown and in the suburbs. They both have their pro's and cons. My biggest gripe is that it's very dangerous to be a pedestrian downtown. Cars just don't give a sh*t and I've had some close calls. I know there are bad pedestrians out there, but I cross with the correct signal and in crosswalks and I've still been apart of some crazy situations.

Out of all the cities I've been to in my life I have never seen anyone not yield to pedestrians in cross walks like they do in Pittsburgh. It's insane.
Peds in Pittsburgh are also known for darting out into the street, against traffic signals like Yinzer squirrels.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Overrated? Who rates it high?? It's horrible. Traffic is bad, parking is bad and expensive, public transportation is bad. I loved it when I worked near Cranberry. No traffic, free parking, plus I could get in my car at lunch and go to the park, go shopping, eat at any number of places, etc.
Word.

I would also wager that SCR could make as much/more $$$/year doing the same job in Cranberry with less stress, car maintenance, fuel usage, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh