Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:10 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times

Advertisements

Southern CA and NM use people who have been sentenced to community service (in lieu of a jail sentence) to keep things clean (and, as poor as NM is, you can practically eat off the street/freeways). Pittsburgh doesn't do that? If not, does anyone know why?

Also, as clean as San Diego and Orange County are (I don't consider LA clean), and as clean as NM is -- our infrastructure is in bad shape (and so is Southern CA's). Just one example: ABQ's water system/pipes need replacing NOW, to the tune of billions of dollars -- and we don't have the money. So: some place can be clean on the surface, but still be crumbling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:27 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
How often do you walk around downtown? I do often and take many photographs of the streets you are talking about that prove what you are saying simply isn't true.

In fact, see for yourself... there is litter in one shot in a back alley behind a restaurant.. otherwise... quite clean.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...98378426%40N02
Great photos, Merge!
Count me as another person who does not find it dirty here.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
How often do you walk around downtown? I do often and take many photographs of the streets you are talking about that prove what you are saying simply isn't true.

In fact, see for yourself... there is litter in one shot in a back alley behind a restaurant.. otherwise... quite clean.

Yes, they really are great photos. I'm glad Chrisb made me look.

I've been to Philadelphia but not to Pittsburgh. It's good to see Pittsburgh. (Not all that much different than I have imagined. ) I have no doubts I'll like it there.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Great photos, Merge!
Count me as another person who does not find it dirty here.
Much appreciated (and thanks to Fran as well!), and if you poke around I have shots of most of the city neighborhoods and quite a bunch of the other communities in South Western PA (I do tend to focus on working class areas, so keep that in mind):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98378426@N02/sets/

Old 03-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Much appreciated (and thanks to Fran as well!), and if you poke around I have shots of most of the city neighborhoods and quite a bunch of the other communities in South Western PA (I do tend to focus on working class areas, so keep that in mind):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98378426@N02/sets/

Great photos!! May I ask if you are a professional or semi-professional photographer? You could do a book with these.

I am crazy about architecture -- I must have been an architect in a previous life.

Structures tell stories, all by themselves.

And you may not believe it, but NM is full of Victorians. Well, not FULL -- but there are a lot. Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Some of the prettiest I've ever seen are in Las Vegas, New Mexico -- whoever heard of Las Vegas, New Mexico -- but there they are, in all their glory.

So, anyway, I just love these pictures! Thank you so much for making them available here.

Fran

Old 03-28-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Great photos!! May I ask if you are a professional or semi-professional photographer? You could do a book with these.

I am crazy about architecture -- I must have been an architect in a previous life.

Structures tell stories, all by themselves.

And you may not believe it, but NM is full of Victorians. Well, not FULL -- but there are a lot. Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Some of the prettiest I've ever seen are in Las Vegas, New Mexico -- whoever heard of Las Vegas, New Mexico -- but there they are, in all their glory.

So, anyway, I just love these pictures! Thank you so much for making them available here.

Fran
I guess I could go with "semi-professional" in that I have been paid for my work, but it has never been my primary means of income. I've shown them around town a bit.

I'd love to do a book. I just have to figure out how to fund it because it could very well turn out to be a vanity project. Anyway..

Thanks for the Kudos! I get a lot from these photographic jaunts, and it is always gravy when someone else likes the resulting product.

-David

Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I guess I could go with "semi-professional" in that I have been paid for my work, but it has never been my primary means of income. I've shown them around town a bit.

I'd love to do a book. I just have to figure out how to fund it because it could very well turn out to be a vanity project. Anyway..

Thanks for the Kudos! I get a lot from these photographic jaunts, and it is always gravy when someone else likes the resulting product.

-David
You're right -- it could very well be a 'vanity project'. But I've got some ideas. It could be much more than just a 'coffee table book'. I was getting ready to do a book on our Huning Castle Neighborhood here, when I found out that another resident published one a few years ago.

A book doesn't have to cost a lot these days.

I'll talk to you when I move there. Or you can PM me whenever you want.

Fran

Old 03-28-2015, 06:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:

Nice shots! Glad to see another shooter here. Preservation Pioneer has many good photos, as does Evergrey.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Nice shots! Glad to see another shooter here. Preservation Pioneer has many good photos, as does Evergrey.
Thank you!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You're right -- it could very well be a 'vanity project'. But I've got some ideas. It could be much more than just a 'coffee table book'. I was getting ready to do a book on our Huning Castle Neighborhood here, when I found out that another resident published one a few years ago.

A book doesn't have to cost a lot these days.

I'll talk to you when I move there. Or you can PM me whenever you want.

Fran
Sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh