Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:31 PM

419 posts, read 446,856 times

Advertisements

Starting Thursday, eight teams will face off at Consol Energy Center for the eastern bracket of the Big Dance. The eight teams in Pittsburgh will be the Villanova Wildcats from Philadelphia, Notre Dame Fighting Irish from South Bend, Indiana..Northeastern University from Boston, Mass....Lafayette University from Easton, PA...Butler University form Indianapolis, Indiana....North Carolina State University form Raleigh, North Carolina...LSU, From Baton Rouge, Louisiana... and The University of Texas out of Austin, Texas....
It will be great to have all of these teams and their fans in our fair city this week. I just wish the area around the Consol were more vibrant. There are very few good choices in that specific area. There is that new Blue Line Grill which will be packed and a handful of pizza places. It just is not all that great. Market Square is only a fifteen to twenty minute walk for those capable. The South Side about thirty minutes or less. I thought there would be more to offer by now around Consol. This area is slow to be developed. I understand that there is a decent amount of infill in the form of housing being built, but nothing huge as of yet. Frankly, I thought there would be more foodie type places there and brew pubs. It will all happen eventually. It is just slow going and the area is nothing really to show off to visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:40 PM

814 posts, read 1,152,136 times
The arena itself is nothing really to show off to visitors.

Shame Pitt flamed out so hard, would have been so much fun for the Panthers to have a "home" game in the tourney.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:33 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,899,453 times
I had no idea that the tournament was taking place in Pittsburgh. There wasn't a good PR machine behind this. But maybe the lack of support has to do with the disillusionment and declining interest in college sports.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 PM

912 posts, read 1,735,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I had no idea that the tournament was taking place in Pittsburgh. There wasn't a good PR machine behind this. But maybe the lack of support has to do with the disillusionment and declining interest in college sports.
Tickets were on sale on Groupon for months. That shows you how well they were selling. There are still plenty of seats in the 200 level available for purchase a day before the games.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:01 PM

912 posts, read 1,735,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
The arena itself is nothing really to show off to visitors.

Shame Pitt flamed out so hard, would have been so much fun for the Panthers to have a "home" game in the tourney.
Pitt would have had to be a #1 or #2 seed to be placed two miles away from the Pete. The NCAA really only rewards the top teams with games close to home.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I also had no clue this was going on tomorrow until I found out at work on Monday.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,997,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Pitt would have had to be a #1 or #2 seed to be placed two miles away from the Pete. The NCAA really only rewards the top teams with games close to home.
Even so, the NCAA would not put Pitt actually in Pittsburgh if it were a #1. Cleveland or Columbus would likely be the closest locations. Even Duke/UNC/UK have always had to get on a bus and go a couple hundred miles at minimum as #1s.

It's not surprising to me tix are available. This isn't a hoops town (college or pro) and there's generally little awareness of what happens outside the area in any sport.

If UK or Iowa St were in, I'd probably go. Just not that interested in the matchups we've got here.

Go Bobby Mo!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:53 AM

130 posts, read 199,753 times
The corruption that goes into making NCAA Basketball and Football the de facto minor leagues of the NBA and the NFL is a national disgrace.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,711,860 times
I have never even heard of this "basketball" game that yinz speak of until I read this thread. It looks interesting with all of the dribbling annat.

Actually I have never heard of this "Consolidated Energy Center of Energy"place either.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 AM

814 posts, read 1,152,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Even so, the NCAA would not put Pitt actually in Pittsburgh if it were a #1. Cleveland or Columbus would likely be the closest locations. Even Duke/UNC/UK have always had to get on a bus and go a couple hundred miles at minimum as #1s.
Is this actually the NCAA's policy or is it more an effect of where the games happen to be played being decided months ahead of time, and then the selection committee rewards higher seeds geographically when it can? It seems like more a function of coincidence than anything.

UK is in Louisville for its first two rounds this year (which is well under 100 miles from Lexington, and I would imagine that if Rupp happened to be hosting games this year UK would be in that regional), and then there's things like Dayton, who fought to get in as an 11 seed and got to play literally at home last night and now get their first two rounds in Columbus.

I just would be surprised if there were actually NCAA scriptures dictating this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If UK or Iowa St were in, I'd probably go. Just not that interested in the matchups we've got here.
I went to NEU for a couple of years (and have no love lost for Notre Dame) so I really wanted to go to that tilt...alas, couldn't get out of work on such short notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh