Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:53 AM

56 posts, read 62,866 times

Advertisements

I dont know where some of these other cities came form as I am not moving to any of them or have any need or want to. We are most likely moving to Raleigh spring of next year. We were also looking into Austin,TX, or Denver, but those got ruled out because you cant really drive to those cities.

For me, I love Pittsburgh. It has been a great city and I say good things about it to everyone. However, Im not into "history" or old architecture, I'm not into "old" things really and to me, that what this city represents. An "old" way of thinking (PA in General) non progressive and slow to change. I hate the topography and the road construction has ruined this city because it never gets done. I've played travel hockey all my life, traveled for college hockey and went on road trips. Ive been to many cities. To me Pittsburgh is still a great city, I guess I'm just sick of it and want to move on. I cant stand the weather anymore either. Its so depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:17 PM

25 posts, read 21,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I also agree. As I've said, everyone looks for something different in a city. Raleigh is too sterile, too mega suburb, with about zero character. Nothing there makes me say, "I know I'm in Raleigh, because..." I don't mean to beat the place up, but wow, it is definitely lacking in the personality department in my world.
The thing about Raleigh is that the Triangle area is 3 cities. You can go to Durham and have the walkability/old stuff/hipster/tech scene, Raleigh if you want new build stuff, Cary if you love Cranberry-like suburbs, Chapel Hill if you want college town life, and Carrboro if you want hippie culture. So if you don't enjoy Raleigh there are multiple alternatives.

Not many places in the US (Pittsburgh included) have those kind of options.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
I dont know where some of these other cities came form as I am not moving to any of them or have any need or want to. We are most likely moving to Raleigh spring of next year. We were also looking into Austin,TX, or Denver, but those got ruled out because you cant really drive to those cities.

For me, I love Pittsburgh. It has been a great city and I say good things about it to everyone. However, Im not into "history" or old architecture, I'm not into "old" things really and to me, that what this city represents. An "old" way of thinking (PA in General) non progressive and slow to change. I hate the topography and the road construction has ruined this city because it never gets done. I've played travel hockey all my life, traveled for college hockey and went on road trips. Ive been to many cities. To me Pittsburgh is still a great city, I guess I'm just sick of it and want to move on. I cant stand the weather anymore either. Its so depressing.
You complain that PA isn't progressive enough so you're going to move to a state that will allow judges to refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples if it goes against their beliefs?

So i just need to ask, in what way is NC more progressive than PA?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
I may be completely wrong, but I think progressive is being used as a means of saying an area is progressing, aka growing or modernizing. The actual true definition of progressivism has been muddied to the point where most people don’t know what it means anymore. If they did they would never say that North Carolina is a progressive state, with these days Asheville being somewhat progressive but only recently.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You complain that PA isn't progressive enough so you're going to move to a state that will allow judges to refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples if it goes against their beliefs?

So i just need to ask, in what way is NC more progressive than PA?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:10 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
It just always floors when people ***ch and whine PA is so unprogressive and backwards then move to a Southern state, the most conservative part of the country. Sure many Southern areas are newer/more modern since they have only started to really develop in the past 50 years but more progressive? LOL

Old 06-18-2015, 08:22 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
It just always floors when people ***ch and whine PA is so unprogressive and backwards then move to a Southern state, the most conservative part of the country. Sure many Southern areas are newer/more modern since they have only started to really develop in the past 50 years but more progressive? LOL
Hey it only took NC 50+ years to ratify the 19th Amendment....

Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Hey it only took NC 50+ years to ratify the 19th Amendment....
And they just enacted one of those screwy "religious freedom" bills to boot.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin3 View Post
The thing about Raleigh is that the Triangle area is 3 cities. You can go to Durham and have the walkability/old stuff/hipster/tech scene, Raleigh if you want new build stuff, Cary if you love Cranberry-like suburbs, Chapel Hill if you want college town life, and Carrboro if you want hippie culture. So if you don't enjoy Raleigh there are multiple alternatives.

Not many places in the US (Pittsburgh included) have those kind of options.
But in Pittsburgh, you can find all the above mentioned things in some fashion in one place. The only place in North Carolina I can safely say I LOVED was Wilmington, NC. Now that's my kind of place.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:28 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Quote:
Again, speaking to my Raleigh experiences...

I happened to be in Raleigh visiting my friends during their Gay Pride celebration in 2013. It's considered NC Pride and is located on a college campus in Durham, NC, I believe. With that said, that same weekend, a large Bluegrass Festival was taking place in Downtown Raleigh. There was no mention of Pride ANYWHERE in the entire RDU area. But the Bluegrass Festival...whew, let me tell you, you couldn't run from that thing if you tried! Even the WRAL news broadcast we were watching--every 10 minutes, "Let's check back in at the Blue Grass Festival!"

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh Pride is another large event here in the city that is given the same attention and recognition that any of our other major events are given. This year, Pride was bigger than ever. It's very "mainstream" here with all of our media outlets including it. I even won my Nick Jonas tickets off 96.1 KISS this year, but I digress...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Raleigh-Durham is a backwoods, hick mecca, BUT...I do not consider it more socially progressive over Pittsburgh AT ALL. Pittsburgh wins hands down in that regard.

Yes, my post was geared toward being "progressive" in the social aspect. Another poster mentioned that the term "progressive" may have been used differently by the OP. I just wanted to recognize my usage of "progressive" versus the potential different use by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh