Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 14,103 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are considering building soon in the Robinson Township area . We'd like to avoid the "mass" builders (Ryan, Heartland, Maranda etc.), but I'm struggling to track down names (reviews) of good and honest local home builders. Can anyone help ? We are looking to build a ranch , 3 bedroom in preference , 1800- 2000 sqft approximate. We're new to this process and our budget is around $220K (not including the lot price) Any help/direction is much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:52 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,395,235 times
You can't go wrong with these guys Home they have a development opening in Robinson soon. You will have a hard time getting a new home at that price per square foot, plus the cost of ranch houses is usually higher than a multi level per ft². You maybe better off buying a house and doing a renovation.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
I have felt directly with this builder and I would trust them. Here is their website. Quality stuff for sure.

Luxury Custom Homes - Londonbury Homes, Inc | Pittsburgh, PA

Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have felt directly with this builder and I would trust them. Here is their website. Quality stuff for sure.

Luxury Custom Homes - Londonbury Homes, Inc | Pittsburgh, PA
Londonbury is very very good, but they may not take on a smaller home. If you could get them to do it you would have no issues.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:15 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Londonbury is very very good, but they may not take on a smaller home. If you could get them to do it you would have no issues.
Yup. There's builders, but not many that want to deal with small $$$. There's lots of big $$$ out there that can't be built fast enough.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yup. There's builders, but not many that want to deal with small $$$. There's lots of big $$$ out there that can't be built fast enough.
This is the market that Ryan has been able to fill for many decades, they beat up the suppliers and the tradesman to keep their prices low, that is why their finishes are bad, they have subs that have to speed through the home to make a profit.

I will build a house every few years, mostly for people I know or if I am really slow, I can't make a large enough profit on a house to justify building them full time, the house may only take 6 months to build, but I work on it full time for 8 months or more. If I make 24% on a new house it is a miracle, so on a $200,000 house I can't pay my light bill or feed my family. It may seem like a good profit to some, but after taxes and overhead it does not pay. That is why I don't chase them or want them.

That is why londonbury will not build a house of that size, they can't make enough profit maintaining their standards. Ryan is like walmart, they will take the small profit and make their money by building thousands of homes a year.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
This is the market that Ryan has been able to fill for many decades, they beat up the suppliers and the tradesman to keep their prices low, that is why their finishes are bad, they have subs that have to speed through the home to make a profit.

I will build a house every few years, mostly for people I know or if I am really slow, I can't make a large enough profit on a house to justify building them full time, the house may only take 6 months to build, but I work on it full time for 8 months or more. If I make 24% on a new house it is a miracle, so on a $200,000 house I can't pay my light bill or feed my family. It may seem like a good profit to some, but after taxes and overhead it does not pay. That is why I don't chase them or want them.

That is why londonbury will not build a house of that size, they can't make enough profit maintaining their standards. Ryan is like walmart, they will take the small profit and make their money by building thousands of homes a year.
Yup. It's all in what one's standards are. Those that complain are usually in a far inferior home but will throw stones at it anyway. What many refuse to understand is it's still better than most are living in. If you want better and custom pay for it. Nothing out there that $$$ can't make perfect.

The inspectors pass it and the insurance companies insure it. It's a very small percentage that have an issue and most all could never afford it anyway. The only ones that have to be happy with it are the ones writing the $$$.

One of my favorite expressions is when somebody says "they don't build them like that anymore" and the response is "that's a good thing".

"Back in the day" is like "I remember when". There was a time when I thought the same way. Then I realized I got tired of working on stuff and new is better.

Last edited by erieguy; 06-14-2015 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 12:15 AM

Thank god they don't build them like they use to.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Thank god they don't build them like they use to.
Yup. I've heard that a lot...and it took me awhile to realize how true that statement is. I was a huge fan of "old school". It didnt take long to realize old isn't much fun. It's just a day closer to being replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: