Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:53 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
If you are counting Etna and Millvale, you should throw Sharpsburg in there as well. All of them have walkable CBD's, but you have to drive to a grocery store.
I'm not too familiar with either of them and hence the purpose of this thread. If they are missing that element, I'd bump them down to a third tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Yes. You need to further define your criteria.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
It has a bank, a post office, an Ace Hardware, a flower shop, some bars, restaurants, and a Family Dollar. I would say it has at least as much as Beechview and maybe Mt. Washington.

Also, what do you mean by everything? Lebo is nice and you can do yoga, but you can't buy groceries.
Mount washington has a shop and save, but I'm agreeing brookline on the same level. I just forgot to put it on my original list. It was just what I thought off the top of my head.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 PM

OK... if having a grocery store in walking distance from the cbd is a criterion, then a lot would have to be eliminated.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Mount washington has a shop and save, but I'm agreeing brookline on the same level. I just forgot to put it on my original list. It was just what I thought off the top of my head.

That is what Mt. Oliver has, not Brookline. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
OK... if having a grocery store in walking distance from the cbd is a criterion, then a lot would have to be eliminated.
That's the strange thing I find about trying to quantify "walkable neighborhood" - because there is no mathematical or statistical way (at least in my mind) to prove it.

Sure an area like Mount Lebanon might not have a full service grocery store like Giant Eagle/Shop n Save etc, but if that's the only metric - the areas of Cranberry adjacent to their grocery stores would be considered walkable, and I think we can all agree its not.

I wanted to get a little more insight on some of the original posted areas - from residents to see if they think they are walkable or only partially walkable. Sure if Millvale has X, X, X and X but doesn't have a grocery store, is it still walkable or not? That's my point having this thread. To almost - see what the majority of people on here think what needs to be in an area to have it considered walkable, and to see how it applies to areas that are on the fence of being walkable.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
That's the strange thing I find about trying to quantify "walkable neighborhood" - because there is no mathematical or statistical way (at least in my mind) to prove it.

Sure an area like Mount Lebanon might not have a full service grocery store like Giant Eagle/Shop n Save etc, but if that's the only metric - the areas of Cranberry adjacent to their grocery stores would be considered walkable, and I think we can all agree its not.

I wanted to get a little more insight on some of the original posted areas - from residents to see if they think they are walkable or only partially walkable. Sure if Millvale has X, X, X and X but doesn't have a grocery store, is it still walkable or not? That's my point having this thread. To almost - see what the majority of people on here think what needs to be in an area to have it considered walkable, and to see how it applies to areas that are on the fence of being walkable.
Oakmont for sure is walkable, as is Verona (not sure if that was on your list or not)

Old 07-21-2015, 02:03 PM

So, given no grocery stores within reasonable walkable distance from CBD, we eliminate from the OP...

Carnegie
Etna
Millvale
Mt. Lebanon
Edgewood

Any others?

Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 PM

Neither Oakmont nor Verona really have a grocery store in reasonable walking distance from their CBDs, so would also be eliminated as "walkable"...

Old 07-21-2015, 02:07 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Beechview has the IGA, but I'd hardly call it walkable. It lacks a lot of retail, and it's probably the hilliest place in Pittsburgh. There are streets in Beechview that would make a goat hesitate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh