Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

I have a child starting kindergarten in the coming fall, who may need a smaller class size than our zoned school (Colfax) can offer. Everyone recommends the Fox Chapel schools, so we've started looking at real-estate in Aspinwall (we prefer walkable areas, so O'Hara and Fox Chapel are out of the running).

Being a multi-racial (both minority) family, diversity matters to us, and we were shocked to find that Aspinwall is 98.11% white. I know that metro Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot of black wealth, but Aspinwall's median household income is only 42k, so it's not exactly cost-prohibitive. How does a borough, less than a mile outside of a city that's 26% Black remain 98% white? Coincidence? Redlining? History of racial hostilities? How? Why?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Being a multi-racial (both minority) family, diversity matters to us, and we were shocked to find that Aspinwall is 98.11% white. I know that metro Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot of black wealth, but Aspinwall's median household income is only 42k, so it's not exactly cost-prohibitive. How does a borough, less than a mile outside of a city that's 26% Black remain 98% white? Coincidence? Redlining? History of racial hostilities? How? Why?

It is history, but not the history of racial hostilities but the history of industry.

By the time the Great Migration in the 20th Century, the Allegheny Valley was already in decline. Isabella and Lucy Furnaces were already on their last gasps, and African Americans migrating into the Pittsburgh area came here for jobs- those employment opportunities were mostly in the Turtle Creek and Mon Valleys.

Aspinwall was always middle class, of course , but as blacks working in the mills and factories started to do well, they sought suburban areas close to where they lived when they came, and for very few it would be Aspinwall.

Sharpsburg, Millvale and Etna also have relative few minorities for similar reasons.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Sharpsburg is 93% white. Etna is 98% white Blawnox 93% white.

Redlining? Racial hostilities? How about black people aren't moving in because they don't want to? As you stated, you want a mix of races in the town you want to move to. Could it be you don't want to live in Aspinwall because there are only like two black families living there at best? Seems so. It isn't whitey that is the issue. Look at your own post and you answered your own question.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:14 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Aspinwall was always middle class, of course , but as blacks working in the mills and factories started to do well, they sought suburban areas close to where they lived when they came, and for very few it would be Aspinwall.
Aspinwall is just as close.

Redlining is the reason.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I used to live in Aspinwall and liked it a lot. We now live in O'Hara and have kids in elementary school. The good news is that the elementary school that Aspinwall feeds to is fairly diverse. Bad news is that it (the elementary school) doesn't have a lot of African-Americans. Class size is usually at most 22. If small class size is really important you may want to move further out (obviously not walkable) and look for homes that feed to Fairview Elementary which has significantly smaller class sizes.

I would guess that the median income of new home owners is well above the 42K that you cite. For the most part you have to spend 250,000 on a house these days. Taxes (property) in Aspinwall are pretty high.

From what other posters have said on this forum middle class African Americans in Pittsburgh tend to stay put in the area where they grew up.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:22 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times

Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
How about black people aren't moving in because they don't want to? As you stated, you want a mix of races in the town you want to move to. Could it be you don't want to live in Aspinwall because there are only like two black families living there at best? Seems so. It isn't whitey that is the issue. Look at your own post and you answered your own question.
Seems the most likely answer to me, too!

Old 09-28-2015, 11:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
I find it difficult to believe that minorities simply do not want to live in walkable, middle-class, first-ring suburbs with great schools. They/we flock to similar areas in other metros.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:35 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I have a child starting kindergarten in the coming fall, who may need a smaller class size than our zoned school (Colfax) can offer. Everyone recommends the Fox Chapel schools, so we've started looking at real-estate in Aspinwall (we prefer walkable areas, so O'Hara and Fox Chapel are out of the running).

That must be dated information.

American FactFinder - Community Facts

In 2010

White 95.6%
Black 0.4%
Asian 4.0%
Hispanic 1.0%

While not overly diverse, it's not ALL white. I'm sure the Asian number is closer to 8 to 10% now.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:36 AM

419 posts, read 446,104 times
Aspinwall median income may be 42k but housing is way more expensive than nearby river towns of Sharpsburg, Etna and Blawnox. That means those can afford to live there, regardless of race, are going to be in a smaller percentile . Considering that percentage of blacks is considerably smaller than the percentage of whites in the Pittsburgh area, this lowers the poll even more. This does not mean that there are not any blacks that can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh