Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 PM

373 posts, read 378,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
in the Pittsburgh Metro there is only a 26% black population
A lot closer to 10% than 26% for the metro.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:19 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've literally made no accusation. I simply posed the question. America's history of housing discrimination, redlining and racial intimidation are very real, so I posed a question about this very specific town. You seem to have very little historical data to contribute, yet you seem quite intent, passionate about even, on shouting down the very possibility of any sort of malfeasance. You seem quite defensive for an uniterested third-party.
I've noticed this about a lot of people posting here: the mere possibility of a question that blacks might not have been treated fairly in the past has them getting very defensive very fast. I've also heard "at least we're not the south" - but Charlotte and Atlanta aren't doing too bad in recent years, so that gets old.

There was redlining in Mt Lebanon in the 1970s (google), I seem to recall Millvale having some issues in the past as well. Forgot the specifics but I think there was a thread here from a few years ago. It's very difficult to get good information, a lot of local history gets whitewashed. Sorry I can't help.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:27 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
As of the 2010 census, Aspinwall is 91.7% white, 1.4% black, 5.4% Asian, and 1.3% mixed race. 1.9% of the population is Hispanic/Latino of any race. Subsequent American Community Survey data is next-to-useless for a borough home to 2,801 people, so we won't really know the degree to which this has changed until post-2020.

Obviously, it's not "coincidental" that Aspinwall is mostly white, but as other posters have indicated, this is probably more a reflection of past settlement patterns than ongoing prejudices. Certainly, Aspinwall isn't notoriously racist like, say, Brentwood.

Whether you're comfortable being among a tiny minority is up to you. It sounds like you'd be happier living somewhere with a more established black presence, and that's totally understandable.

Best of luck.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:47 PM

144 posts, read 140,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
If you know what ward Observatory Hill is, I suspect that would make it easier to find the demographics. It is easy to find demographics for towns.

Pittsburgh as a whole is 66% white.
not sure on the ward, but searching the US census site for zip 15214 seems to give a pretty accurate read out. That includes Observatory Hill (which I guess is not an official designation) and some surrounding areas.

(just googled... looks like Ward 22).

Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
As of the 2010 census, Aspinwall is 91.7% white, 1.4% black, 5.4% Asian, and 1.3% mixed race. 1.9% of the population is Hispanic/Latino of any race. Subsequent American Community Survey data is next-to-useless for a borough home to 2,801 people, so we won't really know the degree to which this has changed until post-2020.

Obviously, it's not "coincidental" that Aspinwall is mostly white, but as other posters have indicated, this is probably more a reflection of past settlement patterns than ongoing prejudices. Certainly, Aspinwall isn't notoriously racist like, say, Brentwood.

Whether you're comfortable being among a tiny minority is up to you. It sounds like you'd be happier living somewhere with a more established black presence, and that's totally understandable.

Best of luck.
Thanks. Didn't know that about Brentwood.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:12 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
Homestead, Duquesne, Rankin, Braddock, Mckeesport, Mckees Rocks, Mount Oliver, Allentown, Knoxville, Northview Heights, Clairton are all examples of "diverse" communities, let that sink in for a minute...

Old 09-28-2015, 02:22 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,190 times

Old 09-28-2015, 02:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
Homestead, Duquesne, Rankin, Braddock, Mckeesport, Mckees Rocks, Mount Oliver, Allentown, Knoxville, Northview Heights, Clairton are all examples of "diverse" communities, let that sink in for a minute...
As a former resident of Stowe-Rocks, and a current resident of McKeesport, most of these towns have neighborhoods that are both racially mixed and beautifully kept. Clairton, Duquesne, and McKeesport are cities with various neighborhoods of varying conditions and prosperity. My neighborhood in McKeesport is about half white and half black, and it's just a great place to be. It's amazing what you find when you think outside of the box and consider living in places that are written off by the general public. You won't find stable mixed race neighborhoods in Aspinwall, but some of these old towns in the Mon Valley have them!

Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I find it difficult to believe that minorities simply do not want to live in walkable, middle-class, first-ring suburbs with great schools. They/we flock to similar areas in other metros.
Why would they?

Most of the African Americans who moved into the Pittsburgh area did so to work at places like US Steel or Westinghouse. Those who "moved on up" looked to suburban areas in areas adjacent like North Versailles and Monroeville and a relative few would think to cross the river and head up into the Allegheny Valley.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
As a former resident of Stowe-Rocks, and a current resident of McKeesport, most of these towns have neighborhoods that are both racially mixed and beautifully kept. Clairton, Duquesne, and McKeesport are cities with various neighborhoods of varying conditions and prosperity. My neighborhood in McKeesport is about half white and half black, and it's just a great place to be. It's amazing what you find when you think outside of the box and consider living in places that are written off by the general public. You won't find stable mixed race neighborhoods in Aspinwall, but some of these old towns in the Mon Valley have them!
The point is that the communities I listed are, IN GENERAL, dangerous places to live when comparing them to less racially mixed places, like Southern Munhall, Robinson, Ross, North Huntingdon, etch. etch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh