Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:35 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Like it or not discussion about these tragedies might help to prevent FURTHER tragedies if more pro-car people on this sub-forum feel empathetic enough to alter their driving habits.
Yeah... because pro-car people never feel empathy and are bad drivers.

Sorry, but you overemphasize the importance of this board. Nothing posted here will alter the driving habits of the population, no matter if they are pro- or anti-, if they are apathetic or empathetic, if they are good drivers or bad drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah... because pro-car people never feel empathy and are bad drivers.

Sorry, but you overemphasize the importance of this board. Nothing posted here will alter the driving habits of the population, no matter if they are pro- or anti-, if they are apathetic or empathetic, if they are good drivers or bad drivers.
Discussions on here have CERTAINLY swayed my opinions on various issues. Absolutely they have. Anti-car people on here chastising me for being a rush-rush delivery driver has made me realize I'm part of the problem and not "part of the solution" (as East Enders would say), and I've DEFINITELY toned down my aggressiveness and assertiveness while driving around the city as a result.

You forget this city only has ~300,000 people, despite the epic traffic due to the lack of light rail. We're a big small town, really, and I know some on here in real life. I've passed a few academics on here in CMU and Pitt corridors, unknowingly. I know where some on here live and what cars they drive. The less anonymous we all become to one another on here, the more social consciousness we exert upon one another.

I'm not perfect. I'm a pariah on here because of my chronic "Great East End Housing Crisis" threads. I get it. I don't post here to make friends. I will give credit where credit is due, though, and admit people have swayed me on some issues on here, and I KNOW I've personally swayed some people on other issues, too.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:06 AM

385 posts, read 309,762 times
Quote:
Discussions on here have CERTAINLY swayed my opinions on various issues. Absolutely they have. Anti-car people on here chastising me for being a rush-rush delivery driver has made me realize I'm part of the problem and not "part of the solution" (as East Enders would say), and I've DEFINITELY toned down my aggressiveness and assertiveness while driving around the city as a result.

You forget this city only has ~300,000 people, despite the epic traffic due to the lack of light rail. We're a big small town, really, and I know some on here in real life. I've passed a few academics on here in CMU and Pitt corridors, unknowingly. I know where some on here live and what cars they drive. The less anonymous we all become to one another on here, the more social consciousness we exert upon one another.

I'm not perfect. I'm a pariah on here because of my chronic "Great East End Housing Crisis" threads. I get it. I don't post here to make friends. I will give credit where credit is due, though, and admit people have swayed me on some issues on here, and I KNOW I've personally swayed some people on other issues, too.
This county has over 1.2 million people, many of whom are driving through or into the city at all hours of the day. The Triangle has the same daytime population density as lower Manhattan. To say we have "only 300,000 people" is grossly minimizing the population here.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:

Honestly I think most of the problems on this forum are isolated to the east end bubble.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As the thread continues, remember that the fact that you are angry over something is not a good enough reason to troll.
Yac.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Back on topic...

The main crux is that three people in the East End are now dead because motor vehicle drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists aren't mixing well. Three families are grieving. It appears as if the cyclist was a brilliant and compassionate academic with many friends. I'm going out on a limb and guessing since the man in the wheelchair boarded the bus at the VA Hospital that he was a war veteran, and the heroic woman killed trying to save his life as she accompanied him was a caregiver, relative, or close friend. Three GREAT people dead. I cried when I read the articles of both accidents over the past several days. Even the photo of the presumable SUV driver who hit the man in the wheelchair crying against the hood of her vehicle as a friend comforted her was powerful.

Nobody deserves to die this way, and if using these three people as martyrs to encourage more harmony between drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians is necessary, then so be it. I'm scaling back on my leadfootedness to try to make this city better as a result of what's happened in Oakland. If this means I'll avoid accidentally running over a jogging jaywalker wearing dark clothing at 7 PM next week, then all the better. Yes, it's taking longer---much longer in some cases---for everyone to get from Point A to Point B because of not only increasing congestion but also because of some ill-timed simultaneous bridge/road closures and utility improvement projects that is only exacerbating things. If you all think the Greenfield Bridge closure is a headache, wait until 2017 when that bridge will be reopened just before the Anderson Bridge that carries the Boulevard of the Allies over Panther Hollow is closed for replacement---along with the Negley Avenue Bridge over the East Busway.

If I'm always in a rush and am going to slow down, then I want a pledge that other motorists will do the same. Is shaving a minute off your evening commute because you had a bad day at work and want to unwind worth someone's life?

Last edited by Yac; 10-27-2015 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Since some of you (again, notice how I'm not naming anyone) haven't actually read our tos and continue to try to start a fight over this, I have to post again.
t "Being right", even when you're emotionally involved, is not a good enough reason to troll and use strawmen instead of actually addressing the points made.
Now calm down and discuss the topic.
Oh, and in case some of you are confused, I'm not a part of this "car culture" you refer to. I don't own a car. I walk to work. I was hit by a car earlier this year (nothing serious) while on a pedestrian crossing, dodged 3 other cars. I'm fine and am not looking for sympathy, just debunking the "you are a part of the car culture, you know nothing" part of the argument
Yac.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:06 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
There's a witness saying the pedestrians had the light and that the SUV that hit them was turning. This is how I have almost gotten hit several times in Oakland. It's just that I can move faster. Looking both ways won't protect somebody who can't jump.

2 People Killed In Port Authority Bus Accident « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There's a witness saying the pedestrians had the light and that the SUV that hit them was turning. This is how I have almost gotten hit several times in Oakland. It's just that I can move faster. Looking both ways won't protect somebody who can't jump.

Shocking, the driver was not paying attention. How sad. Even more so that a person was coming to the aid of the first person hit and loses their life too.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post

How fast is someone going to hit someone and they fly under a bus? Geez. Sure is scary out there. I hate crossing the streets these days and look to areas to cross that are safer, but still it is hard to cross anywhere they way people are driving. I pick a time and fly across the street as fast as I can.

Thanks for that link and update on this crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh